Sons' sorrow

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

All these years I  had in my head that it was stv. Maybe it was BBC and I sent my sister on a wild goose chase hunting for it in coocaddens

It was the BBC. I remember George Davidson did the commentary. Including the immortal, "They just can't believe what's going on out there."  I think he was referring to the Celtic fans.

Edited by rockson

2 hours ago, Sons FC said:

I haven't watched the tape for some years now (for obvious reasons) but I know there is a midweek game against Aberdeen at Pittodrie on there - it ended 1-1 with John Bourke scoring for us - is that the one you mean?

I was there and it was definitely the Saturday game. John Bourke scored with a fantastic diving header iirc. Footage will be in black and white as it was Grampian TV covering it. The previous season I went up and back by train, as did the Sons players who were in the same carriage. They walked from the station to Pittodrie! That was the game where Willie Wallace went in goal after Lawrie was injured.

Scotsport wanted to show highlights of a big English game that night and could only do so if they showed footage from the game at Boghead. First, not Premier Division, game.
Crashing out was a good idea. It was one of the most turgid games of football I've ever had the misfortune to witness. P.C. Gibbon - the long arm of the law - threatened a group of us with arrest for cursing (nae fuckin' wonder) which led to lots of "Jolly good shot" and "Golly gosh" type shouts. 

I think we drew 1 each but it’s a long time ago, I was pished and had school in the morning !

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Blow me if it's not our old pal Calum Campbell, surely the worst pound-for-pound player purchase ever made by Dumbarton FC, unless anyone has other ideas.

Same price as we paid for Charlie Gibson iirc. Quite a contrast in return on investment. 

7 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

I think we drew 1 each but it’s a long time ago, I was pished and had school in the morning !

:lol:

5 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I wonder if Jim Duffy could bring in someone like Derek Gaston on loan?

I may be wrong here but that would only leave Morton with Ryan Scully.  Considering that's the reason Mutch won't be available this weekend then I doubt Morton will be happy to put themselves in the same position.

It'll be a youth player from a Premiership team IMO, if he brings in anyone at all.