Sons' sorrow

32 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

It was definitely the Texaco Cup. I remember an advert on STV calling on people to attend the game to see Dumbarton qualify.

Scottish clubs participation was reduced from seven to four and we were one of three clubs omitted. English clubs went from 13 to 16.

Newcastle United won it that season for the second year in a row.

Kiddies: Yes, in those days Newcastle not only won matches but trophies too.

I have an old VCR recording of all the Dumbarton footage from STV. I don't think the Celtic game was covered by STV as it is not on the tape.

If you transferred that footage to dvd a few punters would pay for a copy. Me bring first in the queue.
We played Motherwell at Boghead midweek and I’d sneaked some cans in. I crashed out under one of the floodlights on the grass and got home not knowing what the score was.
The Scotsport highlights later that night bailed me out from my Dad’s question as to how the game went. If I remember right, I could be seen under the floodlights on the footage but I couldn’t be recognised.

2 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

If you transferred that footage to dvd a few punters would pay for a copy. Me bring first in the queue.
We played Motherwell at Boghead midweek and I’d sneaked some cans in. I crashed out under one of the floodlights on the grass and got home not knowing what the score was.
The Scotsport highlights later that night bailed me out from my Dad’s question as to how the game went. If I remember right, I could be seen under the floodlights on the footage but I couldn’t be recognised.

I'm looking into to Jumbo - the footage will almost certainly be subject to copyright, which would be vested in the rights holder, in this case the SFL. However, the present SFL is not the same legal entity that existed then, so it all depends on what rights were transferred over. The other issue is if I can find it! (I am sure I can - I don't have Old Scrotum's blank memories).

Edited by Sons FC

1 minute ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Scotsport wanted to show highlights of a big English game that night and could only do so if they showed footage from the game at Boghead. First, not Premier Division, game.

Crashing out was a good idea. It was one of the most turgid games of football I've ever had the misfortune to witness. P.C. Gibbon - the long arm of the law - threatened a group of us with arrest for cursing (nae fuckin' wonder) which led to lots of "Jolly good shot" and "Golly gosh" type shouts. 

7 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I'm looking into to Jumbo - the footage will almost certainly be subject to copyright, which would be vested in the rights holder, in this case the SFL. However, the present SFL is not the same legal entity that existed then, so it all depends on what rights were transferred over. The other issue is if I can find it! (I am sure I can - I don't have Old Scrotum's blank memories).

I'm pretty sure there are people on here who could transfer it, no questioned asked.

2 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Scotsport wanted to show highlights of a big English game that night and could only do so if they showed footage from the game at Boghead. First, not Premier Division, game.

Crashing out was a good idea. It was one of the most turgid games of football I've ever had the misfortune to witness. P.C. Gibbon - the long arm of the law - threatened a group of us with arrest for cursing (nae fuckin' wonder) which led to lots of "Jolly good shot" and "Golly gosh" type shouts. 

I remember it well.

1 minute ago, Old Scrotum said:

I'm pretty sure there are people on here who could transfer it, no questioned asked.

The transfer is not the issue OS, that is straightforward, the copyright and distribution rights are a bigger issue.

I'd love to re-live a particular televised game from Pittodrie. Not for the match itself (we got humped 6-0 or something) but for the performance of the infamous Beenzie.

He was standing underneath the t.v. camera and right through the highlights you can hear him roaring "Aw, fur f**k sake Dumbarton".

1 minute ago, Old Scrotum said:

I'd love to re-live a particular televised game from Pittodrie. Not for the match itself (we got humped 6-0 or something) but for the performance of the infamous Beenzie.

He was standing underneath the t.v. camera and right through the highlights you can hear him roaring "Aw, fur f**k sake Dumbarton".

I take he still goes to games? I hear that every week.

3 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

The transfer is not the issue OS, that is straightforward, the copyright and distribution rights are a bigger issue.

I'm sure we can all be trusted to be like Sergeant Hans Schultz: "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know no-thing!"

2 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

I haven't watched the tape for some years now (for obvious reasons) but I know there is a midweek game against Aberdeen at Pittodrie on there - it ended 1-1 with John Bourke scoring for us - is that the one you mean?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I take he still goes to games? I hear that every week.

It's him watching from his cloud in the sky. He was supposed to go to the other place but God decided that as Beenzie had watched Dumbarton for so long he'd suffered enough.

9 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I haven't watched the tape for some years now (for obvious reasons) but I know there is a midweek game against Aberdeen at Pittodrie on there - it ended 1-1 with John Bourke scoring for us - is that the one you mean?

No, this was on a Saturday, I'm sure. Thinking back, the 6-0 was midweek.

Edited by Old Scrotum

19 hours ago, lionel wickson said:
19 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

They did tape over a lot though. The one I'd really like to see is the league cup semi against Celtic. However my sister worked for stv many moons ago and a thorough search came to the conclusion that it had been taped over

Wasn't the game also shown on the BBC? I remember Sam Leitch showing the clip of Lawrie Williams' penalty save from Willie Wallace on Grandstand (in what is now the Football Focus slot) the following Saturday. I got back too late from Hampden to see the highlights on the night.

I just sent you a message, please check.

Just been watching a piece on Reporting Scotland concerning a stushie about the intended location of the new Monklands Hospital, when up pops the Chief Executive of NHS Lanarkshire.

Blow me if it's not our old pal Calum Campbell, surely the worst pound-for-pound player purchase ever made by Dumbarton FC, unless anyone has other ideas.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just been watching a piece on Reporting Scotland concerning a stushie about the intended location of the new Monklands Hospital, when up pops the Chief Executive of NHS Lanarkshire.

Blow me if it's not our old pal Calum Campbell, surely the worst pound-for-pound player purchase ever made by Dumbarton FC, unless anyone has other ideas.

Craig Lynes.

That Motherwell game was only shown because Liverpool were playing in the European cup that night. And back then the Scottish league wouldn't allow highlights of an English game to be shown if there was a Scottish game being played that night - unless they showed highlights of it too. So our second tier match against Motherwell was shown

Edit to add that I see Old Scrotum beat me to it