Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

In other matters, a QoS-supporting acquaintance informs me that whilst Stephen Dobbie is getting banner headlines for his scoring run, one Josh Todd is pulling the strings beautifully behind him, including scoring the winner at Dunfermline last Saturday.  Hard to believe I know, but there you go.

That makes it sound like playing an attacking midfielder as an attacking midfielder rather than a winger is a good way of getting the most out of him. Madness.

The 3-3 Celtic game was a League Cup section match. It was played on a Wednesday as was the first meeting seven days earlier. (3-0)

It was Ian Wallace's last game for Sons and he scored our third (Bourke got the first two) which means I can claim to have seen his first and last goals for the club as well as his first and last appearances.

Edited by Old Scrotum

All this nostalgia. Who remembers the Drybrough Cup and its wacky experimental rules? Charlie Gallacher putting us ahead at Parkhead?

Or even the Friday night Sons beat Dundee by enough goals to qualify for the Texaco Cup only for the qualification rules to get changed and Dumbarton miss out?

Spring Cup anyone?

Edited by Old Scrotum

14 hours ago, lionel wickson said:
14 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

They did tape over a lot though. The one I'd really like to see is the league cup semi against Celtic. However my sister worked for stv many moons ago and a thorough search came to the conclusion that it had been taped over

Wasn't the game also shown on the BBC? I remember Sam Leitch showing the clip of Lawrie Williams' penalty save from Willie Wallace on Grandstand (in what is now the Football Focus slot) the following Saturday. I got back too late from Hampden to see the highlights on the night.

All these years I  had in my head that it was stv. Maybe it was BBC and I sent my sister on a wild goose chase hunting for it in coocaddens

Sam Leitch is famous for two comments on Grandstand.

"They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" (not as stupid as it is made out to be) and from 1971 "In Scotland it's League Cup final day. Celtic take on Partick Thistle who have no chance." I can still remember chortling heartily along with the two other men and their kerry-oot (FifeSon please note) who were at Firs Park that day when the half-time score came in.

Kiddies: back in 1971 there were no smart-phones.

Edited by Old Scrotum

26 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Sam Leitch is famous for two comments on Grandstand.

"They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" (not as stupid as it is made out to be) and from 1971 "In Scotland it's League Cup final day. Celtic take on Partick Thistle who have no chance." I can still remember chortling heartily along with the two other men and their kerry-oot (FifeSon please note) who were at Firs Park that day when the half-time score came in.

Kiddies: back in 1971 there were no smart-phones.

Most folk thought they had the half time score the wrong way round

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm pretty sure it was a plain 'turtle-neck' collar Wilf, ie no white trim, with white shorts and red socks, but you may be spot-on with the Ian Wallace timing.  The first-half display by Sons was as good as anything I've ever seen from a Dumbarton side, and I recall a very muted Celtic support at half-time.  As I said above, big Bourkie rattled the bar before Celtic salvaged a point.  In truth, Sons simply ran out of steam.   BBPF may be interested to learn that the half-time draw was won by ticket 2388.

As for that fascinating series of 3-3 draws, I also attended them all but the highlight for me was Peter Coleman's 25-yard rocket into the 'Sellick End' postage stamp at Parkhead - it nearly won us the game but not quite. 

Doesnt mention the strips unfortunately

img683.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was a plain 'turtle-neck' collar Wilf, ie no white trim, with white shorts and red socks, but you may be spot-on with the Ian Wallace timing.  The first-half display by Sons was as good as anything I've ever seen from a Dumbarton side, and I recall a very muted Celtic support at half-time.  As I said above, big Bourkie rattled the bar before Celtic salvaged a point.  In truth, Sons simply ran out of steam.   BBPF may be interested to learn that the half-time draw was won by ticket 2388.
As for that fascinating series of 3-3 draws, I also attended them all but the highlight for me was Peter Coleman's 25-yard rocket into the 'Sellick End' postage stamp at Parkhead - it nearly won us the game but not quite. 

On the strips, one wag was heard to remark that not only did we look like Manchester United we were playing like Manchester United. In the 3-3 draw at Celtic Park did Celtic play in their green and black stripes?

8 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

On the strips, one wag was heard to remark that not only did we look like Manchester United we were playing like Manchester United. In the 3-3 draw at Celtic Park did Celtic play in their green and black stripes?

You were sitting next to the wags?

Celtic wore yellow shirts with green collars and cuffs in the first game.

GW976H640.jpg

Edited by Old Scrotum

They did yes, and ten thousand of their fans munched chocolate - they became known as the Green & Black Brigade.

16 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

They did tape over a lot though. The one I'd really like to see is the league cup semi against Celtic. However my sister worked for stv many moons ago and a thorough search came to the conclusion that it had been taped over

I have an old VCR recording of all the Dumbarton footage from STV. I don't think the Celtic game was covered by STV as it is not on the tape.

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
15 hours ago, Howlin said:

You could be right on that. Remarkable.

We were 3-1 up AT halftime, after Celtic scored first. John Bourke headed against the bar from a corner early in the second half before Celtic salvaged the game. Hughie McLean was different class.

Johnny Doyle said years later that that was the turning point and if that header had gone in, the Celtic players didn't think they could get back in the game.

2 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

All this nostalgia. Who remembers the Drybrough Cup and its wacky experimental rules? Charlie Gallacher putting us ahead at Parkhead?

Or even the Friday night Sons beat Dundee by enough goals to qualify for the Texaco Cup only for the qualification rules to get changed and Dumbarton miss out?

Spring Cup anyone?

I can just about remember the Drybrough Cup.

I do remember Texacogate very well. We didn't ever buy Texaco petrol again after that.

I remember the Spring Cup game at Firhill (was it the semi-final?) and how good Ian Wallace was that day - did we lose 3-1 to Airdrie?

14 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

And just to show that new managers and long injury lists might not be a new phenomenon, this is from 1964. IMG_1983.jpgIMG_1984.jpg

Jeez, that takes me back. 6-2 on a filthy October day.

Willie Toner - Jim Duffy in a toupee?

Edited by Old Scrotum

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:31, TheChase said:
On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:19, Sons FC said:
Duff Man says, brings a tear to the eye. Oh Yeah.

The Chase says give up the chronic third person Duff patter.

Duff Man says...you're right. The hilarious parody, using deliberate exaggeration for comic effect has run its course. 

2 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Spring Cup anyone?

Was it the Texaco Cup? I thought that win against Dundee won us a place in the "new look" premier league only for numbers to be reduced? Every chance though that my memory is shot to pieces!