Sons' sorrow

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

And presumably we'd also owe Durrant a decent amount too as I'd expect him to go as well

I was wondering that myself. He only signed a one year deal officially in the summer of 2017, so I'm not sure if he's on some sort of rolling contract or a more formal agreement like Stevie.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3032

When do we start to recognise that relegation is actually a possibility? Whilst I agree with OKI that only Raith have looked considerably better than us, my worry is that we haven't looked better than anyone - save 70 minutes against East Fife, but only after they dominated the first 20. It might be a horrible situation for the club where they have to work out what would be the heaviest financial hit; relegation/or at best finishing 8th (presumably with far smaller home gates) or getting rid of Aitken. 

Edited by Ross Forbes

Considering he'd drag his bollocks over a cheese grater to trot out any excuse available, I'd be surprised if he was deliberately choosing not to mention "8 fit players".  
I always had my doubts about having "8 fit players".

Is there something awry with our training methods? I mean players are becoming injured at the drop of a hat, and the injuries are not all coming from games.

I’m not convinced that the training is effective, I think we’re spending too much time running about, and not enough time on formations and tactics. IMO, whatever training we are doing, looks as though it’s damaging the players.

For part time club’s, it’s the players’ responsibility to maintain fitness during the week, Tuesdays and Thursdays should be spent focussing on tactics and getting things right positionally.

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I really can't believe we aren't taking advantage of this international break. You really couldn't ask for better time to sack Aitken and start the search for his replacement.

Finger oot please, John.

To be fair, we are 1 day into that 14 day period. 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
5 minutes ago, Howlin said:
To be fair, we are 1 day into that 14 day period. 

Exactly. Do the needful. Give us as much time as possible.

Being a solicitor, John Steele would be naturally cautious and also be a stickler for due process. It's not a profession where speed is of the essence. I've no idea what his thinking is now but if there were a decision to be made, I think he'd be the kind to call a meeting of the board and to have a vote. This is not to infer that he is indecisive, or as has been implied, a "shitebag". Having known him for decades, I'd really doubt that either of these failings could be attributed to him. 

Being a solicitor, John Steele would be naturally cautious and also be a stickler for due process. It's not a profession where speed is of the essence. I've no idea what his thinking is now but if there were a decision to be made, I think he'd be the kind to call a meeting of the board and to have a vote. This is not to infer that he is indecisive, or as has been implied, a "shitebag". Having known him for decades, I'd really doubt that either of these failings could be attributed to him. 
We get it, you're friends with John Steele.

I don't really care about his back story, I only really care that he deals with sacking Stevie Aitken from his position with Dumbarton FC as soon as possible. If that doesn't happen before the Arbroath match then I will continue to think he is a shitebag.

22 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We get it, you're friends with John Steele.

I don't really care about his back story, I only really care that he deals with sacking Stevie Aitken from his position with Dumbarton FC as soon as possible. If that doesn't happen before the Arbroath match then I will continue to think he is a shitebag.

I know John Steele and have for a long time. I wouldn't particularly class us as friends.  He may have many faults but I doubt being a shitebag is one of them.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Why is no one asking Stevie more pressing questions? 

"Have you lost the dressing room?" 

"Have the board had a word?" 

"Do you take responsibility for the results?" 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I really can't believe we aren't taking advantage of this international break. You really couldn't ask for better time to sack Aitken and start the search for his replacement.

Finger oot please, John.

Couldn’t agree with the above more.

Aitken is being treated with kid gloves, as if he’s doing us some massive favour just by being our manager.

It’s clear he’ll still be in charge for Arbroath and that’s completely unacceptable from the Chairman and board. Throw the finances argument around all you want; if Aitken lost every game left this season, would he be allowed to carry on indefinitely? Of course not.

If the board need time to come up with the ‘due process’ of sacking him, then that’s a massive failing on their part for not having the contingency plan in place from the start of the season. All the good will they’ve built up from nice wee statements on the website and riding on the supporters bus is starting to evaporate pretty fucking quickly.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

Now is the time to act ...not sacking him will cause more harm in the long run as more and more supporters either stay away or lose interest totally.Not to mention that any chance of a title tilt being well beyond us.The board have to act immedieately.

5 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Now is the time to act ...not sacking him will cause more harm in the long run as more and more supporters either stay away or lose interest totally.Not to mention that any chance of a title tilt being well beyond us.The board have to act immedieately.

Title is definitely gone, and has been for a while. Promotion play-offs are still a possibility if we act right now.

Give him another four games, as suggested by some, and the only target left will be to avoid the bottom two.

3 hours ago, Johnny Red said:

Is there something awry with our training methods? I mean players are becoming injured at the drop of a hat, and the injuries are not all coming from games.

I’m not convinced that the training is effective, I think we’re spending too much time running about, and not enough time on formations and tactics. IMO, whatever training we are doing, looks as though it’s damaging the players.

For part time club’s, it’s the players’ responsibility to maintain fitness during the week, Tuesdays and Thursdays should be spent focussing on tactics and getting things right positionally.

I question Durrant's contribution in all of this, with his pedigree as a player and being involved in coaching, I would expect to see an impact in our play such as use of the ball and ball retention. I'm not quite sure what benefit we get other than him being the players pal.

14 minutes ago, albundy said:

I question Durrant's contribution in all of this, with his pedigree as a player and being involved in coaching, I would expect to see an impact in our play such as use of the ball and ball retention. I'm not quite sure what benefit we get other than him being the players pal.

Aye, this has been a puzzle for me too.  In other news, Fulham lost 1-5 at home to Arsenal today, the same Fulham who create a record for club promoted to the Premiership by spending £100M in the close season.

Couldn’t agree with the above more.
Aitken is being treated with kid gloves, as if he’s doing us some massive favour just by being our manager.
It’s clear he’ll still be in charge for Arbroath and that’s completely unacceptable from the Chairman and board. Throw the finances argument around all you want; if Aitken lost every game left this season, would he be allowed to carry on indefinitely? Of course not.
If the board need time to come up with the ‘due process’ of sacking him, then that’s a massive failing on their part for not having the contingency plan in place from the start of the season. All the good will they’ve built up from nice wee statements on the website and riding on the supporters bus is starting to evaporate pretty fucking quickly.

You really think that football clubs have a permanent contingency plan for sacking their managers?

26 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You really think that football clubs have a permanent contingency plan for sacking their managers?

I think any board of directors in any business should have contingency plans in place around the management, yes.

This is going round in circles now.

We’re not Celtic, Man U, sports direct or virgin. We re not cash rich and well funded.

If no-ones yet realised we’re skint, having fundraisers in the same month as only 1 home game is no coincidence.

There’s a big difference between looking around at other potential managers and being able to squirrel 10k or so out of nothing.