Sons' sorrow

10 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We owe him a not inconsiderable amount of money if we want to sack him.

I’m sure we can stretch to it. If he lost the next ten games, say, he’d be gone. That money would come from somewhere. He will go eventually, it’s  just a question of ‘when’.

Given he’s abysmally failing any kind of objectives the board will have set for him this season, I highly doubt he’s entitled to all that much.

Frankly, if I was him, I’d resign and blame it all on the injuries. It would preserve a little bit of dignity and avoid having ‘sacked’ on his CV.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

I’m sure we can stretch to it. If he lost the next ten games, say, he’d be gone. That money would come from somewhere. He will go eventually, it’s  just a question of ‘when’.
Given he’s abysmally failing any kind of objectives the board will have set for him this season, I highly doubt he’s entitled to all that much.
Frankly, if I was him, I’d resign and blame it all on the injuries. It would preserve a little bit of dignity and avoid having ‘sacked’ on his CV.
I doubt he will stay beyond the end of his current contract, so the only reason I can think he hasn't been emptied is financial. I mentioned this a while ago and I might be wrong but I was under the impression that if an agreement can't be reached these things end up at tribunals to decide a settlement. Anyone itk?

Stevie seems to make out like we created loads today, but I don't think that Max Currie had too many (if any) difficult saves to make.

We did look decent enough going forward, probably as good as we've looked in recent months, but despite that we only really created two really good chances outwith the goals. A tame Dom Thomas shot after some good link-up between Little and Paton, and a Beany one-on-one where Jamie Hamill got a fantastic tackle in just before he could get his shot away. Even the goals were maybe a touch fortunate - Stranraer made a right mess of defending a cross for the first, and the second looked like it took a deflection to loop it over Currie and in.

5 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Stevie seems to make out like we created loads today, but I don't think that Max Currie had too many (if any) difficult saves to make.

We did look decent enough going forward, probably as good as we've looked in recent months, but despite that we only really created two really good chances outwith the goals. A tame Dom Thomas shot after some good link-up between Little and Paton, and a Beany one-on-one where Jamie Hamill got a fantastic tackle in just before he could get his shot away. Even the goals were maybe a touch fortunate - Stranraer made a right mess of defending a cross for the first, and the second looked like it took a deflection to loop it over Currie and in.

What position did Paton play when he came on, out of interest?

19 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken said:

What position did Paton play when he came on, out of interest?

Sort of an attacking central-midfield position. Not quite high enough to be a #10, but with more license to go forward than Thommo or Spencer. Although it was only for 20 minutes or so, he looked up to the pace pretty quickly, which was encouraging.

What is really getting on my wick through all of this is my belief that our squad is actually more than half decent.

And that a new manager worth his salt who's able to pitch a side who's organised, well-drilled, fit and knows what they're doing would be doing far, FAR better than Aitken is doing and has been doing for quite a while now.

What is really getting on my wick through all of this is my belief that our squad is actually more than half decent.

And that a new manager worth his salt who's able to pitch a side who's organised, well-drilled, fit and knows what they're doing would be doing far, FAR better than Aitken is doing and has been doing for quite a while now.

100% agree with that. The Kevin Nisbet that played against us last week was ten times the player that played for us last season. Stevie just seems to have a knack of sucking the life out of players and Nisbet isn't the only one that has got better post Dumbarton.

100% agree with that. The Kevin Nisbet that played against us last week was ten times the player that played for us last season. Stevie just seems to have a knack of sucking the life out of players and Nisbet isn't the only one that has got better post Dumbarton.

It'll suck the life out of the players being played in a system that's uber-defensive. And also playing for a manager who doesn't seem to have a clue how to play to your strengths.

How would another manager take our injured players and make them fit?

There was  an interesting feature on yesterday's Stephen Jardine programme about employment law and sacking people from jobs. Interestingly Jim Duffy took part and explained that Scottish managers who are sacked  have trouble getting compensation. Listen here from about 2 hrs 34 mins.

ETA Duffy's contribution is at 2hrs 41mins 50 secs

Edited by Howlin' Wilf
update

14 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

There was  an interesting feature on yesterday's Stephen Jardine programme about employment law and sacking people from jobs. Interestingly Jim Duffy took part and explained that Scottish managers who are sacked  have trouble getting compensation. Listen here from about 2 hrs 34 mins.

ETA Duffy's contribution is at 2hrs 41mins 50 secs

Interesting listen.

I’m sure the financial side is a big part of the reluctance to sack Aitken, but I do genuinely think the board want to give him every chance. I don’t think he hasn’t been sacked yet purely because of money. It’s a factor, yes, but even if they didn’t have to worry about it, I think he’d still be in charge.

They wouldn't, they would get the best out of the fit players they have at their disposal which are far better than the current league position.

Miraculously our "8 fit players" has suddenly become "8 players out" based on Aitken's post match interview.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

They wouldn't, they would get the best out of the fit players they have at their disposal which are far better than the current league position.

Miraculously our "8 fit players" has suddenly become "8 players out" based on Aitken's post match interview.

Not mutually exclusive though. You might have eight players out and three playing with injuries.

Not mutually exclusive though. You might have eight players out and three playing with injuries.

Considering he'd drag his bollocks over a cheese grater to trot out any excuse available, I'd be surprised if he was deliberately choosing not to mention "8 fit players".

I always had my doubts about having "8 fit players".

Well he might have them fitter for the start of the season in the first place.

I also have my suspicions, based on absolutely nothing to be fair, that were we to say, bring in JD, win a few games on the trot and play some nice stuff in the process, a lot of these injuries might heal a bit quicker than they currently are.

I know it's a bit of a conspiracy theory and I'm not generally a conspiracist but as others have mentioned, I don't appear to be the only one who's had a similar thought.