Sons' sorrow

I know it's a cup final but no way does it bear any comparison with a league cup semi final at Hampden or a Scottish cup semi final at Hampden. I'd happily have traded our win in Wales for two victories over Morton and Falkirk
I'd hazard you may be in a minority here. For me the prospect of winning the Challenge Cup trumps the prospect of securing a seventh season in the Championship.
I'd like both of course, but as has already been intimated the trip to Oswestry was easily the most memorable in over 55 years of supporting Sons, and winning the Cup would be the icing on the cake.
Imagine it nestling in the trophy cabinet at Dalmoak [emoji39]

I know it's a cup final but no way does it bear any comparison with a league cup semi final at Hampden or a Scottish cup semi final at Hampden. I'd happily have traded our win in Wales for two victories over Morton and Falkirk

I can’t comment on the semis, but there’s not a chance I’d have swapped a national cup final for victories against teams I’ve seen us beating before.

Football is about creating memories, and the cup final will last longer than any league wins. I’ve said it before, but if we go down in the playoffs but win the cup I’ll count that as a successful season.

Maybe things are different for the ‘more experienced’ Sons fans who have actually seen us doing well in big cups, but for me this is something I’ve never seen before - and I’ve been quite fortunate in my Sons supporting life.

I'd hazard you may be in a minority here. For me the prospect of winning the Challenge Cup trumps the prospect of securing a seventh season in the Championship.
I'd like both of course, but as has already been intimated the trip to Oswestry was easily the most memorable in over 55 years of supporting Sons, and winning the Cup would be the icing on the cake.

That's pretty much how I feel too. Apart from the 55 years bit[emoji6]

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Nonsense.

5 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

The attendances given at the games were 32000 and 28000 but hard to say how many Dumbarton fans as there was no real segregation and the fans intermingled. At a guess maybe between 4000 and 5000 Dumbarton supporters. I know I was in the old north stand and was surrounded by mostly Celtic fans. 

From my position one could clearly see that Macaris fourth goal from the corner quite clearly went out of play before swinging back in for Macari to header. Even then Dumbarton came back with the Master scoring in the dying seconds.

The linesman (it was a linesman in those days) actually put his flag up for the goal kick then put it down again after the ball went in.

The linesman (it was a linesman in those days) actually put his flag up for the goal kick then put it down again after the ball went in.
Even at almost 48 years range I still marvel at these two performances. A very good Celtic team had contested the European Cup Final only five months previously and Jock Stein did not insult Sons with his team selections.
After a decade and more in the doldrums there grew a feeling that good times were coming, with possibly the most astonishing aspect being that between these titanic tussles we managed to lose a league fixture to a mediocre Alloa outfit.
And being able to enjoy a drink in Oswestry in the company of Lawrie Williams, hero of the 1970 hour, made a great weekend even better.

5 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Really?

This is what defines following a small(er) team for me. The passion, the excitement and the atmosphere of the cup games.

I remember a cup game away to Hamilton when over 10,000 turned up (it was never offside) and the cup run to Hampden against Hearts - the home games against Kilmarnock and Thistle.

These were the golden days for following the Sons and these cup games live far longer than the league games.

A League Cup semi final at Hampden is more desireable than a final and the chance of actually winning something? Really?

Were you down at TNS? It's probably one of my all time favourite Sons games. Infact it may even be my favourite. I'm not sure victories against Morton or Falkirk would come remotely close to matching that. Nor would survival IMO.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A League Cup semi final at Hampden is more desireable than a final and the chance of actually winning something? Really?

Were you down at TNS? It's probably one of my all time favourite Sons games. Infact it may even be my favourite. I'm not sure victories against Morton or Falkirk would come remotely close to matching that. Nor would survival IMO.

Agreed mate.

I honestly thing that was the daftest thing I've read on this.

Clearly in a minority but the Challenge cup just doesn't do it for me. Can anyone remember the last five winners? I have to say I'm pretty astonished that you think that beating a Welsh side with an average gate of a couple of hundred is more memorable than getting a goalless draw with what was probably the best team in Europe at the time

I’d gladly take relegation this year for this cup run. Fingers crossed we win it, but even if we don’t, I’ll never forget this year. Plus, if we go down, we can start going into games hopeful of a win more often, as opposed to setting up defensively, against teams who have a bigger budget, and can cherry pick the better players, before they get passed down to us. And for the record, I hope we don’t go down, just being realistic.

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Daft to you maybe but I'd rather stay up than reach the Challenge cup final

I know it's a terrible attitude to have, and I hope it's not shared by anyone at the club, but from a personal point of view I'm struggling to be enthusiastic about a league where Brechin (who we've taken six of our 21 points and two of our four victories against) are replaced by Ayr/Raith. This season has been a slog in the league, and the Cup has provided some much-needed relief. 

18 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Daft to you maybe but I'd rather stay up than reach the Challenge cup final

All I know is when I look back in years to come I'll be thinking about the final we won and not semi finals we lost.

I wont google it but I think I can name 4 out the 5 of the previous winners raith, livvy, rangers and Dundee utd.

And rangers near filled hampden for it.

Clearly in a minority but the Challenge cup just doesn't do it for me. Can anyone remember the last five winners? I have to say I'm pretty astonished that you think that beating a Welsh side with an average gate of a couple of hundred is more memorable than getting a goalless draw with what was probably the best team in Europe at the time

It's not always about the result though. It's about the occassion.

We travelled down to TNS in our hoardes and reached our first domestic cup final in over a century with two stunning late goals. The whole day was outstanding from start to finish and celebrating those goals on the terrace are memories that will quite literally last a lifetime.

30 minutes ago, sarti pooh said:

All I know is when I look back in years to come I'll be thinking about the final we won and not semi finals we lost.

I wont google it but I think I can name 4 out the 5 of the previous winners raith, livvy, rangers and Dundee utd.

And rangers near filled hampden for it.

The one before was us in 2013. Beat Partick on penalties.