Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's why a fan zone would be ideal. No real expectation of trouble between the fans - get an outdoor bar set up, a couple of food stalls and some daft stuff for the kids (face painting, beat the goalie etc).

Organisers could do so much to make it a fan focused final.

Don't disagree there.

Sorry Wilf but I'm not quite sure what your point is here.

Ach no big point really. Any time I’ve been at cup finals though, I’ve generally gone early. I think the last one I was at was the Scottish Cup in 2010, Dundee United v Ross County and the build up was great.
I remember about 20 years ago sailing up the Hudson in New York. There was a cabaret in the lounge on the boat. I went upstairs and saw we were approaching the Statue of Liberty all lit up. Went downstairs to tell the folk we were sitting with “Naw yer alright mate we're just watching the (pretty shite) band”
The Irn Bru Cup Final is not the Scottish Cup Final or a cruise up the Hudson. It is though our cup final and it’s something I haven’t seen in 47 years supporting the Sons. I have been in more pubs and drank more pints and drams than I care to remember. In fact within reason I can go to a pub any time I like. This may be my only ever chance to see my team in a National Cup Final I’m not missing any of it, even the build up for mair drink.

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's why a fan zone would be ideal. No real expectation of trouble between the fans - get an outdoor bar set up, a couple of food stalls and some daft stuff for the kids (face painting, beat the goalie etc).

Organisers could do so much to make it a fan focused final.

A few years ago when we played Alloa in Perth Petrofac the sponsor done a sublime job of doing exactly as you say. 

They used the training pitch behind the ground and set up a stand with live bands, had food and drink, plenty things for the kids to do, had two club legends (one from each team) discussing the game and bring out the trophy, the atmosphere was terrific, best day out I’ve had at the football in a long time, helped that it was about 20 degrees that day too. 

Guys at Petrofac really done a sensational job on the lead up promoting the game and the pre match entertainment. 

Hope they do something similar for you guys. 

9 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Ach no big point really. Any time I’ve been at cup finals though, I’ve generally gone early. I think the last one I was at was the Scottish Cup in 2010, Dundee United v Ross County and the build up was great.
I remember about 20 years ago sailing up the Hudson in New York. There was a cabaret in the lounge on the boat. I went upstairs and saw we were approaching the Statue of Liberty all lit up. Went downstairs to tell the folk we were sitting with “Naw yer alright mate we're just watching the (pretty shite) band”
The Irn Bru Cup Final is not the Scottish Cup Final or a cruise up the Hudson. It is though our cup final and it’s something I haven’t seen in 47 years supporting the Sons. I have been in more pubs and drank more pints and drams than I care to remember. In fact within reason I can go to a pub any time I like. This may be my only ever chance to see my team in a National Cup Final I’m not missing any of it, even the build up for mair drink.

Each to their own. I don't have any desire to sit/stand watching teams warm up on any occasion and spending that time with my friends and the Swiss Sons in a pub makes the day more enjoyable for me. I don't have anything against anyone who wants to go to the ground an hour early, it's just not for me.

8 hours ago, andylivi1 said:

A few years ago when we played Alloa in Perth Petrofac the sponsor done a sublime job of doing exactly as you say. 

They used the training pitch behind the ground and set up a stand with live bands, had food and drink, plenty things for the kids to do, had two club legends (one from each team) discussing the game and bring out the trophy, the atmosphere was terrific, best day out I’ve had at the football in a long time, helped that it was about 20 degrees that day too. 

Guys at Petrofac really done a sensational job on the lead up promoting the game and the pre match entertainment. 

Hope they do something similar for you guys. 

They did something similar for the final we had against Thistle at Livingston.

That's not Petrofac in particular to be fair. The League / sponsors appointed a pr & events company to organise all that and as far as I am aware they still do.

Takes me back to the league cup semi finals in 1970. Then we used at least a dozen buses all double deckers of the most primitive type to get to Hampden. All the buses were were lined up at Miller street and Round Riding Road. I was in charge of one of the buses and had to get about 60 excitable fans to get on bus. In those days there were no drinking rules for buses and a lot of fans were half cut on boarding the bus plus most had a carry out with them By the time we got to Hampden most were in a merry mood. Plus in those days smoking was allowed so by the time we got there the bus was minging. Also as we lived in prehistoric times and and bowels were bursting with all the drink when we stopped half the bus relieved themselves against the side of the bus in the street where we parked.

At the end of the game everyone was in a merrier mood and any remaining drink was consumed. However with so many similar buses many could not remember which bus they were on and just climbed on the first bus . I took a headcount but was not sure if everyone was on the bus from coming. Any way we set off and everyone was in good humour as we stopped at convenient drinking holes for the celebration to continue.

1 hour ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Takes me back to the league cup semi finals in 1970. Then we used at least a dozen buses all double deckers of the most primitive type to get to Hampden. All the buses were were lined up at Miller street and Round Riding Road. I was in charge of one of the buses and had to get about 60 excitable fans to get on bus. In those days there were no drinking rules for buses and a lot of fans were half cut on boarding the bus plus most had a carry out with them By the time we got to Hampden most were in a merry mood. Plus in those days smoking was allowed so by the time we got there the bus was minging. Also as we lived in prehistoric times and and bowels were bursting with all the drink when we stopped half the bus relieved themselves against the side of the bus in the street where we parked.

At the end of the game everyone was in a merrier mood and any remaining drink was consumed. However with so many similar buses many could not remember which bus they were on and just climbed on the first bus . I took a headcount but was not sure if everyone was on the bus from coming. Any way we set off and everyone was in good humour as we stopped at convenient drinking holes for the celebration to continue.

For the first game, I went on a "Football Special" train from Dumbarton Central direct to Mount Florida! I was on one of the buses organised by theTownend Bowling Club for the replay.

Edited by lionel wickson
Spelling

On 25/02/2018 at 23:37, Rangeman said:

Well here wee go again with quotes ,be careful what you wish for ,ie Russel and nisbet ,with no goals in six league games  between them . while who was it that scored our last league goal ,and is scoring  all the time now ,cause he’s getting played .two out of three games  so far  ,but you discredit the boy who was our second top scorer in not a lot of game time   I rest my case .

Sweet Jesus  :lol:

3 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

IMG_0966.PNG

8 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

For the first game, I went on a "Football Special" train from Dumbarton Central direct to Mount Florida! I was on one of the buses organised by theTownend Bowling Club for the replay.

Aye, I was talking recently to a railway buff who initially scorned my tale of this special train.  However, he checked it out and confirmed that it wasn't a ghost train after all.  Apparently it ran to just past High Street before branching southwards onto a now derelict line which made it's way via Cumberland Street to a connection on Eglinton Street in the Gorbals and onwards to Mount Florida.  I belive the remnants of this line are still around and there has been a movement to restore it to help link the North and South Glasgow circuits.  Here is a map:-

british-transport-commission_passenger-t

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, I was talking recently to a railway buff who initially scorned my tale of this special train.  However, he checked it out and confirmed that it wasn't a ghost train after all.  Apparently it ran to just past High Street before branching southwards onto a now derelict line which made it's way via Cumberland Street to a connection on Eglinton Street in the Gorbals and onwards to Mount Florida.  I belive the remnants of this line are still around and there has been a movement to restore it to help link the North and South Glasgow circuits.  Here is a map:-

british-transport-commission_passenger-t

I couldn't remember the exact details of the route we took, but it was a new adventure for me as I'd never been further than Queen Street on a blue train! I think I also remember this train reversing at some point on the journey. I do recall though ,my brother commenting that the rolling stock on this particular train had probably come in to service sometime around the Relief Of Mafeking. 

9 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

I couldn't remember the exact details of the route we took, but it was a new adventure for me as I'd never been further than Queen Street on a blue train! I think I also remember this train reversing at some point on the journey. I do recall though ,my brother commenting that the rolling stock on this particular train had probably come in to service sometime around the Relief Of Mafeking. 

Absolutely spot-on Lionel.  Jim said that the train would have performed the rail equivalent of a three-point turn at the High Street junction.  I faintly remember a poster advertising this football special - that would be worth a few bob these days.  I'm pretty sure football specials also ran to Motherwell and Stirling in the 1950's, the latter via Jamestown (the line crossed the main road at Smith's pub) and Balfron Station. 

For both Hampden games I travellled with my old man on buses from the Stags Head, and on our return from the first match I remember a large group of folk on the pavement waiting to welcome us back as if we had won the Cup !

Buses from there also ran to the two Dryburgh Cup ties at Parkhead in 1971 and 1972.  For the first we had a double-decker and during the game some local b****** had a dump on a seat in the upper saloon; fortunately for the journey home I was sat dowstairs.  Kenny Dalglish made his Parkhead first-team debut that day.

Absolutely spot-on Lionel.  Jim said that the train would have performed the rail equivalent of a three-point turn at the High Street junction.  I faintly remember a poster advertising this football special - that would be worth a few bob these days.  I'm pretty sure football specials also ran to Motherwell and Stirling in the 1950's, the latter via Jamestown (the line crossed the main road at Smith's pub) and Balfron Station. 
For both Hampden games I travellled with my old man on buses from the Stags Head, and on our return from the first match I remember a large group of folk on the pavement waiting to welcome us back as if we had won the Cup !
Buses from there also ran to the two Dryburgh Cup ties at Parkhead in 1971 and 1972.  For the first we had a double-decker and during the game some local b****** had a dump on a seat in the upper saloon; fortunately for the journey home I was sat dowstairs.  Kenny Dalglish made his Parkhead first-team debut that day.

I remember that having been there too. 5-2 and folk saying that the young Celtic boy looked a good un. Did he score a couple that day?

I remember that having been there too. 5-2 and folk saying that the young Celtic boy looked a good un. Did he score a couple that day?
He scored FOUR, with Harry Hood getting the other. Lou Macari made up a decent strike force. Charlie G scored a first-minute free kick for Sons.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

The attendances given at the games were 32000 and 28000 but hard to say how many Dumbarton fans as there was no real segregation and the fans intermingled. At a guess maybe between 4000 and 5000 Dumbarton supporters. I know I was in the old north stand and was surrounded by mostly Celtic fans. 

From my position one could clearly see that Macaris fourth goal from the corner quite clearly went out of play before swinging back in for Macari to header. Even then Dumbarton came back with the Master scoring in the dying seconds.