Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

The clear message as i take it from JS statement is POSITIVITY and SUPPORT to lift us out of the quagmire we are in.Many say that what is discussed on here has no repercussions on those at the club, but i beg to differ.I think PB is closely monitored by players, directors press etc and the message is hinting at that as well of course what happens in/from the stands.Anyways nothing wrong with being positive.I have and remain so for what thats worth.

John Steele has told me personally that he doesn't read and is not aware of the comments on any DFC internet forum.

The statement is fair enough but I can't help feeling that it reads like a gypsy's warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

People on here give honest assessments of players or the management based on what they see on the park, during a season where things aren't going well those assessments will be mostly 'negative'. It's a different story at the games where players could potentially hear things being shouted and confidence could be sapped and I certainly wouldn't condone stuff being shouted at players.

If we should just be blindly positive about below par performances or a potential relegation we'd be as well not bothering with fans forums like this. Fake positivity on Pie and Bovril wont see us survive relegation, nor it will have any impact on off the field issues, honesty should be welcomed.

I agree completely with that post.But i think what im trying to say is that fake positivity call it what you want is necessary given the dire position which we are in.And i think that is what is being alluded to.Of course we cannot be happy sitting bottom of the table let alone be content with the off-field problems.Its a bit like watching your kid having a nightmare at the school play and everybody cheers the slightest thing he does to encourage him.Im afraid as shite as that sounds its where we are at.JD and the players just need every ounce of support , moral or financial they can get.Im not expecting anyone to agree with me but i thinks its an honest indication of where we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

The clear message as i take it from JS statement is POSITIVITY and SUPPORT to lift us out of the quagmire we are in.Many say that what is discussed on here has no repercussions on those at the club, but i beg to differ.I think PB is closely monitored by players, directors press etc and the message is hinting at that as well of course what happens in/from the stands.Anyways nothing wrong with being positive.I have and remain so for what thats worth.

I'm not sure it's referring to people not supporting the team online in the slightest to be honest. As BBPF says we can post on here that we're in a great position, and everything's rosy, but that won't save us from relegation.

This statement goes well beyond the footballing side of things and into the, fundamentally more important, issues that could threaten the club's future. Brabco's neglect of the stadium is creating very real problems that need to be addressed, and the only way these can be sorted is with the fans supporting the club. Not the team. Not the manager. Not whatever player. The club. 

Reducing ticket prices, dropping a division, sacking an unpopular and under-performing manager and having 25% of season ticket holders decide not to renew would be painful for most clubs - let alone a one with owners who desperately want out, and who have caused various issues that have started to cost the club money.

The last line is the key for me:

Quote

The Dumbarton FC board and the Sonstrust will be making further announcements shortly about initiatives to raise vitally needed funds and to make progress in the league. 

We need to give the club backing in whatever way we can, and I'm interested to see what is on the horizon. Too many people need a reality check about the situation that we're in, and hopefully John's statement will illustrate to those who love to complain on Facebook and Twitter (we all know who I'm referring to here) just how difficult a situation we're in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

We need to give the club backing in whatever way we can, and I'm interested to see what is on the horizon. Too many people need a reality check about the situation that we're in, and hopefully John's statement will illustrate to those who love to complain on Facebook and Twitter (we all know who I'm referring to here) just how difficult a situation we're in.

The worst thing is when people moan and say they won't be back until we have a winning team. They don't seem to realise that without their support it becomes less and less likely to have a winning team. Its a vicious cycle, not exclusive to DFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

The worst thing is when people moan and say they won't be back until we have a winning team. They don't seem to realise that without their support it becomes less and less likely to have a winning team. Its a vicious cycle, not exclusive to DFC.

Absolutely. There was a guy going tonto on Twitter about Duffy not having the money to sign anyone, who then made a big point of saying how he wasn't bothering with games because we weren't winning. It's madness. 

Not as mad as the guy not contributing to any club fundraisers because the club wouldn't help financially if he was in trouble mind you. In a bizarre season of fans on Facebook I'm still utterly perplexed by that. 

I'm confident we've got the right chairman and the right board. Possibly for the first time in a very long time. Even if a guy on Twitter insists they should be sacked (in block capitals) after every defeat, injury and birthday message.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't argue with a word of John Steele's article but I fear the future of the club will rely on more than the spirit of the supporters and their fundraising efforts.

We have become caught in a cycle in which a diminishing hardcore of fans is being asked to step up, a situation now not uncommon at certain golf clubs and bowling clubs. And that's a situation which is unsustainable.

I don't have the answers but we've been at crucial points before several times in living memory and we should be thankful we've now got a Board who will do the right thing by the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why this should come to mind while I was shaking hands with an old friend I don't know, but I suddenly remembered an serious omission from the short discussion on things a certain supporter doesn't shout out every game nowadays: the word 'numpty'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I can't argue with a word of John Steele's article but I fear the future of the club will rely on more than the spirit of the supporters and their fundraising efforts.

We have become caught in a cycle in which a diminishing hardcore of fans is being asked to step up, a situation now not uncommon at certain golf clubs and bowling clubs. And that's a situation which is unsustainable.
 

I don't really agree here. Is a community club not what we want?  A community club depends on it's fans and the local community to raise the cash needed. Our old model of letting whichever director fancied it that month to fire in a soft loan and claim it back later is why we're in this shit show right now.

For years I've heard Sons fans talk about the club being a community club and how great it would be to get ownership in our hands, but as we now start to actually carry this out I fear that Sons fans like the idea of a community club more than the reality of it.  Of course the fans are asked to step up and help fund shortfall's, it's our club, if we're not doing it, who is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't really agree here. Is a community club not what we want?  A community club depends on it's fans and the local community to raise the cash needed. Our old model of letting whichever director fancied it that month to fire in a soft loan and claim it back later is why we're in this shit show right now.
For years I've heard Sons fans talk about the club being a community club and how great it would be to get ownership in our hands, but as we now start to actually carry this out I fear that Sons fans like the idea of a community club more than the reality of it.  Of course the fans are asked to step up and help fund shortfall's, it's our club, if we're not doing it, who is?
Surely the ultimate goal is for the club to be self sustainable? Aka it doesn't require numerous fund raising events just to scrape by.

By all means there is no issue with fundraising when it's required but it cannot be considered a successful long term strategy to barely keep the club alive, nevermind thrive. There's only so much money people can donate before it becomes too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Surely the ultimate goal is for the club to be self sustainable? Aka it doesn't require numerous fund raising events just to scrape by.

By all means there is no issue with fundraising when it's required but it cannot be considered a successful long term strategy to barely keep the club alive, nevermind thrive. There's only so much money people can donate before it becomes too much.

We're all now very aware of our current situation and why we're here though, fundraising is the only way out of this hole. I would argue that fundraisers should be arranged every season, not just because it raises funds but because it helps build a community feel at the club.

Things are being put in place to help with long term sustainability, new caterers who appear very keen to utilise the function suites to their full potential for example, but right now fans are being asked to help get the club through this and if such a situation arises again then they'll be asked again.  I'm not sure who else we can expect to keep the club alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We're all now very aware of our current situation and why we're here though, fundraising is the only way out of this hole. I would argue that fundraisers should be arranged every season, not just because it raises funds but because it helps build a community feel at the club.
Things are being put in place to help with long term sustainability, new caterers who appear very keen to utilise the function suites to their full potential for example, but right now fans are being asked to help get the club through this and if such a situation arises again then they'll be asked again.  I'm not sure who else we can expect to keep the club alive.
Of course fund raising is pretty much the only way to get out the hole we are currently in but it's not a long term solution. If a similar situation arises in the future then it will be the same, I think most folk accept that. I also agree that fundraising should happen every season but it shouldn't be what we depend on just to scrape by, that's not sustainable. I took from OK's post that he was referring to the long term rather than the short term, or when sticky situations arise.

FWIW no one should take this as me being anti fundraising, far from it. I'd just like to see the club being in a position where fund raising is a means to boost the coffers rather than pay the overdue leccy bills if you catch my drift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding funding and sustainability etc.

Is there a particular reason for the lack of sponsor signs located around the stadium? I know the amount of signs/boards have increased a fair bit over the last few seasons but it is nothing in comparison to the majority of other grounds in Scotland. Most other grounds like Alloa or the upcoming Stair Park have the perimeter of the pitch covered with advertising to the point where you couldn't fit another one in. We on the other hand have so much free space.

Is this down to a lack of club efforts or is it more to do with the lack of businesses in the area?

These boards that are displayed at other clubs must provided a sizeable income each season.

 

For example... last home game. Not an advertisement in sight

Michael Paton breaks into the box 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Of course fund raising is pretty much the only way to get out the hole we are currently in but it's not a long term solution. If a similar situation arises in the future then it will be the same, I think most folk accept that. I also agree that fundraising should happen every season but it shouldn't be what we depend on just to scrape by, that's not sustainable. I took from OK's post that he was referring to the long term rather than the short term, or when sticky situations arise.

FWIW no one should take this as me being anti fundraising, far from it. I'd just like to see the club being in a position where fund raising is a means to boost the coffers rather than pay the overdue leccy bills if you catch my drift.

Fair enough, it was more OKIs line of the hardcore fan base being asked to step up - we're always going to be asked to step up and that's the way it should be IMO.

2 minutes ago, super-son said:

Regarding funding and sustainability etc.

Is there a particular reason for the lack of sponsor signs located around the stadium? I know the amount of signs/boards have increased a fair bit over the last few seasons but it is nothing in comparison to the majority of other grounds in Scotland. Most other grounds like Alloa or the upcoming Stair Park have the perimeter of the pitch covered with advertising to the point where you couldn't fit another one in. We on the other hand have so much free space.

Is this down to a lack of club efforts or is it more to do with the lack of businesses in the area?

These boards that are displayed at other clubs must provided a sizeable income each season.

 

For example... last home game. Not an advertisement in sight

Michael Paton breaks into the box 6

Think we've just moved them all to behind the goals:

Montrose-57-26.01.19.jpg&mode=gallery

Suppose that's where goals are scored and as such more photos/action shots of behind the goals will appear in highlights etc. hence better exposure for the sponsor.  I think the boards can look a bit tacky at times tbh but understand they're essential income for the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, it was more OKIs line of the hardcore fan base being asked to step up - we're always going to be asked to step up and that's the way it should be IMO.

Think we've just moved them all to behind the goals:

Montrose-57-26.01.19.jpg&mode=gallery

Suppose that's where goals are scored and as such more photos/action shots of behind the goals will appear in highlights etc. hence better exposure for the sponsor.  I think the boards can look a bit tacky at times tbh but understand they're essential income for the club.

I agree about the tacky part but my point is that other cubs seems to have the boards on all sides of the park and they look as though they have 10x more sponsor boards than ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, it was more OKIs line of the hardcore fan base being asked to step up - we're always going to be asked to step up and that's the way it should be IMO.

Think we've just moved them all to behind the goals:

Montrose-57-26.01.19.jpg&mode=gallery

Suppose that's where goals are scored and as such more photos/action shots of behind the goals will appear in highlights etc. hence better exposure for the sponsor.  I think the boards can look a bit tacky at times tbh but understand they're essential income for the club.

Yup. If you go back a decade or so we had a similar number up the side of the pitch, and nothing behind the goal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOaNLnlp2Og

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, super-son said:

I agree about the tacky part but my point is that other cubs seems to have the boards on all sides of the park and they look as though they have 10x more sponsor boards than ourselves.

Could be that other clubs haven't taken down old boards thus giving the illusion that they have more sponsors than they're being paid for. 

I can assure it's not through lack of effort from the club - effort is just not something we lack any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Of course fund raising is pretty much the only way to get out the hole we are currently in but it's not a long term solution. If a similar situation arises in the future then it will be the same, I think most folk accept that. I also agree that fundraising should happen every season but it shouldn't be what we depend on just to scrape by, that's not sustainable. I took from OK's post that he was referring to the long term rather than the short term, or when sticky situations arise.

FWIW no one should take this as me being anti fundraising, far from it. I'd just like to see the club being in a position where fund raising is a means to boost the coffers rather than pay the overdue leccy bills if you catch my drift.

This.   No organisation can thrive or even survive with a very limited customer or support base.  A way has to be somehow found to reverse the antipathy in the local public to supporting DFC, although we are now experiencing an unfortunate double whammy of erstwhile 'supporters' now proving to be anything but and also veery poor PR down the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Could be that other clubs haven't taken down old boards thus giving the illusion that they have more sponsors than they're being paid for. 

I can assure it's not through lack of effort from the club - effort is just not something we lack any more.

That thought did cross my mind as well.

 

I didn't really think that it was a lack of effort. I know the club and trust have been working flat out to get as much money in to the club as possible over the past few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was speaking to a chap in the rub-a-dub (apologies to those offended) who had been watching Sons from the mid-70s - he was enthusiastic about the 1976 cup run - but gave up at the end of last season content that he had "seen Dumbarton in a cup final".

He obviously still has an interest by the questions he was asking about our current plight, but it is sad that he feels that there is nothing to entice him back. If I meet up with him again I'll do my best to drag him to the next home game (whichever that may be) and hopefully stir that latent support.

No criticism of Aitken or the Alloa fiasco - just somebody who appears to think nothing is going to get better for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×