• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

1 hour ago, RGD89 said:

Aye well, we’ve royally fucked it this season.

It’s been bad luck after bad luck.

Where do folks think we would have finished if we didn’t have any injury issues ?.

38 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
1 hour ago, RGD89 said:
Aye well, we’ve royally fucked it this season.

It’s been bad luck after bad luck.

Where do folks think we would have finished if we didn’t have any injury issues ?.

Hard to say really, as no doubt Aitken would have fucked it with a full squad, but I reckon if Duffy had NO injury worries since he arrived, the sons would probably be duking it out with Airdrie ATM in that kind of area of the table.

Yeh I'd maybe go along with this. Somewhere between Airdrie and Stranraer in the relatively comfortable disappointment of mid-table obscurity. Aitken built a horribly lop-sided squad, but having a fully fit Mango, Loy and even Ballantyne (given how much early football he missed) would probably have seen us record a few more victories - although I reckon those would've been picked up in the early season games with Brechin and Stenny.

35 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's impossible to say really. I'm not convinced we've been that much better under Duffy than we were under Aitken, although he is working with someone elses team which was ravaged by injury. A lot of our fans (myself included) thought Aitken should've been doing better despite the injuries so it would be a tad hypocritical of us to afford Duffy more sympathy in that regard. Aitken has to take the responsibility for signing the team of crocks mind you.

Here's something for us to think about... should Duffy take us down to League 2 do we want him to continue as manager? For me it's a no (there are a few things that have left me less than convinced so far) but I'm interested to hear what others think.

Nope for me too. I don't think he'd want to stay on either to be honest. I kind of get the feeling that he didn't realise how bad a way we were in when he arrived, and would probably be pretty keen to absolve himself of any blame if we were to drop down.

If we go down then a hungry older-pro with seriously high standards and a real desire to make a name for himself (like Muzz with us or, given the League, Paul Hartley at Alloa, but not him now) would be my preferred option. If we stay up then I'm happy to trust Duffy to build a more suitable squad than Aitken managed.

24 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

A whole day of watching presentations at Uni, followed by watching Dumbarton in the cold.

Marvellous. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How much better would we be without injuries?

I think we'd have lost far fewer goals if Mango had been fit all year. Would that have made a huge difference? Even when he was fit, Loy wasn't playing well. Our midfield wasnt creating much. We weren't a good team at any point this season.

We might have been in a better position purely down to having Mango there to avoid some of the closer losses but we probably wouldn't have been that much better.

It might feel like we've not created much, but we've scored 1 more goal than the team sitting 5th and we're only 3 goals behind the team in 4th (where we wanted to be), whilst we've conceded 5 more goals than Montrose  and 11 more than East Fife. Airdrie have scored the same amount of goals as us yet have amassed 10 more points by conceding 10 less goals. Defending has been our issue all season, I'm not sure a fit Mango would have solved all of our problems but I'm confident we'd be at least a few points better off with him in the team.

The last twelve months have truly been our Annus horribilis. I wonder where we will be in twelve more.

It's impossible to say really. I'm not convinced we've been that much better under Duffy than we were under Aitken, although he is working with someone elses team which was ravaged by injury. A lot of our fans (myself included) thought Aitken should've been doing better despite the injuries so it would be a tad hypocritical of us to afford Duffy more sympathy in that regard. Aitken has to take the responsibility for signing the team of crocks mind you.

Here's something for us to think about... should Duffy take us down to League 2 do we want him to continue as manager? For me it's a no (there are a few things that have left me less than convinced so far) but I'm interested to hear what others think.
Difficult one, Duffy's experienced, likeable and has dealt a shitty hand but the stigma of taking a team down is usually followed by a parting of ways.

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

The last twelve months have truly been our Annus horribilis. I wonder where we will be in twelve more.

There's a cream for that.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There's a cream for that.

I had my money on Boghead Ranter being first to make that joke :lol:

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

f**k, is that the level I've fallen to? I'm away to hang my head in shame.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think there's been more endeavor under Duffy. Under him we look like we want to win, but a dodgy defence has let us down. Some of the performances under Aitken were abysmal, with the team looking utterly disinterested. The first home game this season was the worst I've seen them - the team looked like they'd been on the bevvy till 3am the night before. That hasn't happened under Duffy so I reckon there's been improvements there. 

Defending has been our issue all season and I think the main problem is the GK. We havnt really had one all season. Adam has been crap, Smith very meh, McGowan

Crap even as back up now we have Brennan sitting on the bench. A settled GK that was half decent would've solved half our problems

Defence has been a problem all season for sure, but defending starts further forward than the back four/five.

Far, far too often this season (and last for that matter) opposition midfield runners have run riot through our mid line, but as long as everyone is fixated with what the likes of Willie Dyer is up to then they'll continue to avoid scrutiny.

Difficult one, Duffy's experienced, likeable and has dealt a shitty hand but the stigma of taking a team down is usually followed by a parting of ways.

I do think Duffy comes across as a likeable guy in general, and I always joked about him being the soundest gaffer in Scottish football whilst at Morton, but I dunno, I'm really struggling to warm to him as Dumbarton manager. I can't quite put my finger on why, he just seems to kinda go from game to game without ever really seeming fully interested. His interviews are always pretty run of the mill, there's almost a sense of a lack of enthusiasm at times. Maybe that's just me, but I'd be lying if I said he completely fills me with confidence and he hasn't really done all that much to connect with the support in terms of public appearances/meet the manager etc.
I think there's been more endeavor under Duffy. Under him we look like we want to win, but a dodgy defence has let us down. Some of the performances under Aitken were abysmal, with the team looking utterly disinterested. The first home game this season was the worst I've seen them - the team looked like they'd been on the bevvy till 3am the night before. That hasn't happened under Duffy so I reckon there's been improvements there. 
Hmm, that's debateable for me. Whilst we probably look slightly better going forward I'm not convinced it's enough. We have had some real shocking performances under Duffy as well and there's been games where I've questioned the players desire to win or even look like they want to be on the park. Forfar at home springs to mind.

Hopefully we'll see a turnaround in the coming weeks and Duffy can keep us up and prove his worth next season.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Defence has been a problem all season for sure, but defending starts further forward than the back four/five.

Far, far too often this season (and last for that matter) opposition midfield runners have run riot through our mid line, but as long as everyone is fixated with what the likes of Willie Dyer is up to then they'll continue to avoid scrutiny.

You've missed all the criticism that Hutton gets? You've missed the criticism of our wingers being useless? You've missed even the criticism of Ross Forbes who doesn't offer us enough? Aye, Dyer gets it bad but I don't think our midfield have been exempt there either.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

f**k, is that the level I've fallen to? I'm away to hang my head in shame.

I can see you slagging me, you know!!

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You've missed all the criticism that Hutton gets? You've missed the criticism of our wingers being useless? You've missed even the criticism of Ross Forbes who doesn't offer us enough? Aye, Dyer gets it bad but I don't think our midfield have been exempt there either.

Looking at it on a very basic level we have all sorts of problems. We have forwards who aren't clinical enough, defenders who have a habit of making costly mistakes and midfielders who don't seem to contribute much at either end. Oh aye, and we have goalkeepers who can't catch or kick footballs with any consistency. 

That's very sweeping, and harsh on a few, but the basic logic pretty much explains why we are where we are.

No, I haven't missed any of it, but I'll sum it up thus. The 'goals for' table is taken as a reflection of how the forwards are performing; ditto the 'goals against' for the keeper and defence. No such column exists for midfielders, and ours should be thankful for that.

They've had a collective easier time on here than many others, despite the fact that most of the current lot often look as if they are towing a caravan. And dispiritingly in my view it was the one area of the team left untouched in the recent window.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No, I haven't missed any of it, but I'll sum it up thus. The 'goals for' table is taken as a reflection of how the forwards are performing; ditto the 'goals against' for the keeper and defence. No such column exists for midfielders, and ours should be thankful for that.

They've had a collective easier time on here than many others, despite the fact that most of the current lot often look as if they are towing a caravan. And dispiritingly in my view it was the one area of the team left untouched in the recent window.

I respectfully disagree with you, our midfield has taken a lot of criticism and I think most Sons fans would agree that adding to centre midfield was probably required in January but sadly players retiring, moving on or being crippled meant we had to use the small resources we had to fill other areas. 

I should add though when I was discussing our goals against column earlier I wasn't solely just criticising the 4 at the back and the keeper, I agree our midfield is a big reason we're so good at losing goals (Turner's goal for Stranraer at the Rock being a prime example), but I do think having Mango in the last line of defence would've helped reduce that goals against column ever so slightly.

If I can offer some positivity, Mango will need to really go some to get significant suspension time.

He's basically got a free rein to smack cnuts and dish out telts all over the shop.

14 hours ago, FifeSons said:

You've hurt my feelings.

16 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

A whole day of watching presentations at Uni, followed by watching Dumbarton getting humped in the cold.

Marvellous. Can't wait.

FTFY