Sons' sorrow

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm still confident we'll see another 2 arrive in this window. If we can punt the likes of Dyer and Spencer it may be more. Duffy is an experienced campaigner, I don't think he'd have taken the job if the only scope he had for change in January was a development loan from Morton.

This is kinda how I am viewing things atm. Duffy is experienced and even if we have budget for 2 (maybe more if Thomas doesn't come back) he would have been doing everything he could to make sure he didn't sign duds. I am happy to wait if we can get in players who we really need.

Any left back would be fine more or less (an improvement) and I also feel that Spencer is very much meh. He looks okay every now and again but I don't think he'd be a miss. Especially if we could punt him to bring in an option on the wing or an actual defender. Considering we started with 2 defenders on the pitch today because that's all we had fit...

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

That would be sad about Dowie. Possibly the right time though. He was superb last season, but this season has maybe looked one too far for him. I have no idea if he’d be one of the higher earners, but it should free up a wage for a replacement. Saying that, if we can’t get one in time for next week, we’re in even deeper trouble.

Possibly the worst time. He was 1 or only 2 fit defenders in our whole squad today. We really can't afford to lose any more until we have replacements lined up or preferable in the squad already.

Dowie leaving is massive. He'll be on a decent wedge and is absolutely hopeless as a player and a captain. We should be able to sign far better for the money.

Hopefully there's more to follow.

Edited to add: him leaving half way through a relegation battle kinda sums up how bad a captain he is. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Announce Gasparotto.

All the best to Andy. Last season he was one of very few players who could say they played well consistently. This year things have maybe caught up with him a bit and, combined with not having Mango alongside him, he's struggled.

He'll probably be the only man to captain DFC in a cup final in my lifetime though, and that's something that he should be immensely proud of.

Him leaving by mutual consent is good news for our budget too. It would be great if a few others would follow that example.

Hutton to be our new club captain?

Announce Gasparotto.
All the best to Andy. Last season he was one of very few players who could say they played well consistently. This year things have maybe caught up with him a bit and, combined with not having Mango alongside him, he's struggled.
He'll probably be the only man to captain DFC in a cup final in my lifetime though, and that's something that he should be immensely proud of.
Him leaving by mutual consent is good news for our budget too. It would be great if a few others would follow that example.
Craig Barr for me, not sure who vice captain would be though.

Just now, albundy said:
48 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:
Announce Gasparotto.

Craig Barr for me, not sure who vice captain would be though.

If it was me I'd have Mango as captain too and Carsy as vice. Both are vocal, lead by example, experienced, perform well consistently and seem well respected.

I suspect the fact that Duffy named Hutton as his captain when Dowie was out means that he'll either be captain or vice.

That would be sad about Dowie. Possibly the right time though. He was superb last season, but this season has maybe looked one too far for him. I have no idea if he’d be one of the higher earners, but it should free up a wage for a replacement. Saying that, if we can’t get one in time for next week, we’re in even deeper trouble.
We don't have a game next week, fortunately.

21 minutes ago, albundy said:
10 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Very fortunate actually. A fortnight for Jim to get creative, bring in some bodies and prepare for the start of the spring offensive when Montrose visit.

I see a lot of knicker wetting on Facebook and Twitter regarding Dowie's departure. Do these people really think that Duffy would let guys, who are under contract, leave without having replacements lined up?

Given how bad we've been collectively (currently we have the worst form in the league) and given how bad we've been individually we should welcome any opportunity to get these players off the wage bill. There's probably only 3 guys I'd be disappointed to see leave at the minute and one of them is already gone (he may well return).

Duffy will absolutely not let players leave unless he has a replacement lined up or is confident of securing one before our next game.

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see a lot of knicker wetting on Facebook and Twitter regarding Dowie's departure. Do these people really think that Duffy would let guys, who are under contract, leave without having replacements lined up?

Given how bad we've been collectively (currently we have the worst form in the league) and given how bad we've been individually we should welcome any opportunity to get these players off the wage bill. There's probably only 3 guys I'd be disappointed to see leave at the minute and one of them is already gone (he may well return).

Duffy will absolutely not let players leave unless he has a replacement lined up or is confident of securing one before our next game.

If Dowie wanted to quit then he doesnt have a choice. You can't keep a player and force them to play. You can stop a player leaving under contract to sign elsewhere without compensation, but Duffy can't stop Dowie from quitting football completely.

If Dowie wanted to quit then he doesnt have a choice. You can't keep a player and force them to play. You can stop a player leaving under contract to sign elsewhere without compensation, but Duffy can't stop Dowie from quitting football completely.
Either way, we should welcome any chance to get under performers off the wage bill. Especially when we have 2 weeks to sign a replacement/get Barr fit. I'm pretty sure if Duffy was desperate for him to stay until at least the end of the month or the likes then Dowie would have stayed. That's the very least I'd expect from a club captain.

I have every confidence we'll bring someone in who offers us more than Dowie does.

I don't think Dowie is the sort of guy who would just walk away without a thought for the team. If he'd wanted to do that he'd have left at the start of the window or late last month.

I've every confidence that he spoke to Duffy about it and they agreed to part ways when the time was right. It would seem an awful coincidence that this happened just as we had a free week for the first time in a few months.

4 hours ago, albundy said:
14 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I see your point, however Scottish Cup game next week would have at least brought some money in through gate receipts.  As it stands it’s another week where expenditure exceeds income and that can’t help finances.

Just been listening to Jim Duffy on Radio Scotland. Dowie has a job on the rigs offshore, starts today. Adam and Loy both have slipped disc back problems. Generally saying how difficult it is to make an impact when only with the players two evenings a week. He does come across well though, and alluded to bringing in a couple of players ‘soon’.

6 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Announce Gasparotto.

Without wanting to be too harsh on Dowie, I actually think he’s been a large part of our problems over the past couple of seasons. He’s so slow that the defence had to sit very deep, this had the effect of dragging the midfield backwards, or having a large gap between midfield and the defence. It also tended to leave our (typically) one striker very isolated. That was fine when we had Nade as he could hold the ball up until the team could get up the pitch, even when he was clearly finished. None of our other strikers could do this though. 

Broadly speaking, I’m cautiously optimistic that this is a good thing.

Speaking of Nade, I’d take him back right now.
I know the situation meant him leaving was inevitable at the time but in hindsight I'd have never let him go. Would've been nice for the club to stand by him and support him until the potential guilty verdict, which now we know never came.

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:
20 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
Speaking of Nade, I’d take him back right now.

I know the situation meant him leaving was inevitable at the time but in hindsight I'd have never let him go. Would've been nice for the club to stand by him and support him until the potential guilty verdict, which now we know never came.

As much as I loved Nade during his first spell, the last thing we need is another injury prone striker who doesn't score.

He managed one goal in his final 28 appearances for us.