• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

4 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

:lol: I feel like there's a bit of role reversal going on here, it's normally me telling you to calm down ;)

Anyway, Birmingham City have recalled Greg Stewart from his loan deal with Kilmarnock, so they're now in need of a left-footed forward who can roast players, and who loves to cut inside and shoot...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11694/11604155/birmingham-city-recall-greg-stewart-from-kilmarnock-loan

I don't think we'll be seeing #DT23 in a Sons shirt again. Which, if nothing else, gives Duffy a wee bit extra cash to play with. As much as I love him maybe (given how thin on bodies we are) that money would be better spent on a couple of less exciting, but solid League One players.

Aye thats true mate, i guess im either mellowing with age or SA has sucked the will out of me for this season. Anyways, Ben  Armour......not exactly Jai Quitongo but then again we are sans cash.

Let's hope he is of better quality than Jamie McGowan...

Does anyone know what kind of player he is? Is he a target man, small and fast...

20190111_133905.jpg

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

Let's hope he is of better quality than Jamie McGowan...

Does anyone know what kind of player he is? Is he a target man, small and fast...

20190111_133905.jpg

Seems to be a strong, hardworking, quick wee guy. From the videos I watched he looks a similar sort of build to Andy Stirling.

I'd imagine we'll see him played off a bigger forward like Gallagher or Thomson (who'd be my pick tomorrow).

3 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Seems to be a strong, hardworking, quick wee guy. From the videos I watched he looks a similar sort of build to Andy Stirling.

I'd imagine we'll see him played off a bigger forward like Gallagher or Thomson (who'd be my pick tomorrow).

That's fine. Hopefully he has the natural strikers insticts/movement. As hardworking as Gall is, he doesn't instinctively move into areas where the ball will go until the pass/cross is hit. Someone who is has that naturally would have scored a load in the last few weeks for us.

Thomson would be my preference also at the moment, I'm also not sure he is a natural striker but he will be more of a handful for any defence.

He can't be any worse than some of the dross we currently have/had. Plus it's a body. In ye come armour!

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Plus it's a body. In ye come armour!

Body armour?

49 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I see that Adam Eckersley has joined Forfar on loan from St Mirren - I'd say that's a tidy bit of business by the Loons.

Exactly the kind of player we could've been doing with...

He can't be any worse than some of the dross we currently have/had. Plus it's a body. In ye come armour!

Body armour 🤣

Finally a signing. However, with it effectively being Armour in for Thomas and the usual pre-match injury list, I don't see it being enough for us to take anything from the game tomorrow. There's no talk of trialists, which I'd find unlikely anyway since they would need to be free agents, which is difficult to find at this time of year. That means we take eleven fit outfield players to Brechin, one of whom has apparently needed an operation for most of the season. The same story as nearly every week this season. Its an omnishambles, and you can really only feel sorry for Duffy.

We have been shite all season but I expected it to pick up by now ffs. Genuinely concerned about us now.

2 hours ago, optimistic said:

Boomer apparently playing for Dumbarton accies today

Step up from Dumbarton FC

There's nothing to pick up.

At the back we've got serious issues. Left back hasn't been good all season. First choice centre half injured for a bit part of it and still some way off returning. Our back up centre half is out injured. The guy we brought in on loan wasn't good enough.  Midfield? The guy who is supposed to be creating for us either only does it from set pieces or has nobody up front to aim for. We've got no quality out wide.  Up front? We don't really have an out and out striker right now. Our big signing is injured and isnt coming back any time soon. 

We've got 5 players sitting out injured who have probably tied up enough wages for 6 or 7 signings.

Duffy was never going to come in and turn things around. Punting Aitken was the right football decision but unfortunately it did nothing to help on the finance front. We're hamstrung by legacy issues that the board have had to deal with, compensation for Aitken, a significant drop in revenue and periods of limited cash flow. The only way Duffy can change things is to move guys on and freshen up the side - the one thing we're struggling to do because we're financially hamstrung.

Fans need a degree of realism. We're a part time team who don't have anything like the highest crowds in this division compared to other part timers. We've got minimal walk-up fans. We've lost season ticket holders. Our former manager went down the route of perceived quality over quantity and have a squad that is handsomely paid by League One part time standards but that isnt performing. Making changes will happen but wholesale changes aren't an option.

It's going to be very difficult between now and May and this summer will give our board a whole host of obstacles to overcome.

Remember how great some people thought going down would be...
I don't recall anyone saying it would be great, that's a gross misrepresentation. I was one of those who recognised that we had come to the end of our Championship cycle and we actually deserved to go down, as much as Alloa deserved to win the Play-Off Final. We were tired, directionless and needed to regroup.

None of that sentiment can be held as a factor in the grim season we've witnessed thus far - that is all down to decisions, events, finances, whatever within the football club.

2 hours ago, optimistic said:

Boomer apparently playing for Dumbarton accies today

100% we should bring him back in. I don't see him wanting big money and he's a huge step up from Dyer.

Far too good to be playing amateur.