Held up his head.

English translation:

O Lord my God! that glib-tongued Aitken,
My very heart and body are quaking,
To think how we stood sweating, shaking,
Wetting ourselves with dread,
While he, the smooth talking snake,
Was able to win his case.

I thought that during the next manager debate someone mentioned that Flannery was coaching a team i the Borders. Of Scotland, not England.

His choice of game may have been simply through being in the area for family reasons.

Perhaps he was sitting in the home end in case the 'big boys' went for him. Someone ask Aitken's Army (Disbanded 2018).

39 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but by all accounts we were awful. Even the Airdrie fans seemed slightly taken aback by how awful we were.

That's all very Stevie Aitken from Duffy IMO.

I can see where he's coming from to be fair. In the first-half we were awful, but in the second we gave it a good go and only some downright horrendous finishing prevented us from getting a goal. If it goes 2-1 then it might be a different game - unfortunately it didn't, we conceded the third and then it was just about waiting for the full-time whistle.

19 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

I thought that during the next manager debate someone mentioned that Flannery was coaching a team i the Borders. Of Scotland, not England.

His choice of game may have been simply through being in the area for family reasons.

Perhaps he was sitting in the home end in case the 'big boys' went for him. Someone ask Aitken's Army (Disbanded 2018).

He was coaching Mid-Annandale, but I think he's moved back up here.

Flannery was managing Mid-Annandale, and actually done well with them (I think they won the league and perhaps a cup with Paddy getting manager of the year). He briefly moved back to the Glasgow area before recently moving down south.

As far as I'm aware his family are still north of border so there's every chance he was home visiting and decided to pop to the game.

54 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Can anyone tell me what month Dumbarton were founded in 1872? I note Rangers (now defunct obviously) claim to have originated in Feb of that year but when were Sons formed?

23rd December although this is open to interpretation. The first verifiable record of a game taking place involving Dumbarton FC was on 12th April 1873 v Jamestown. This isn't to say that games might have taken place before that but it was the first accompanied by a report in the local paper. "Play was enlivened in the second half with the introduction of a lighter ball, the first evidently being meant for rugby playing"  (source: club history)

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Can anyone tell me what month Dumbarton were founded in 1872? I note Rangers (now defunct obviously) claim to have originated in Feb of that year but when were Sons formed?

This Rangers 1872 thing is a modern claim; when I were a lad it was always 1873 - mibbe it's just another number that got pochled with everthing else that was going on in The Big Hoose.

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

I see the young team are on trying to defend their actions on FB. Someone just kick them in the pie to shut them up.

Against my better judgement I thought I would try and talk some sense into them. They genuinely don't think they've done anything wrong, and anything they have done wrong is fine because they make some noise at games. They'll be banned soon enough if they keep up that shite.

Disheartened to know that I'm a Tory now though. My whole life has been a lie.