Sons' sorrow

A lot of the STV footage was lost in a fire I believe.

They did tape over a lot though. The one I'd really like to see is the league cup semi against Celtic. However my sister worked for stv many moons ago and a thorough search came to the conclusion that it had been taped over

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:
1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:
Cheers – I wasn't at this game, but  vividly recall the following season's 3-3 draw at Muirton and my Grandad's complaints about the 'tippy-tappy' football Saints played that day.  Thought every game of football would be like that, but only I've only seen one 3-3 draw since.

That was the first in a run of 3 consecutive 3-3 draws for us, against yourselves, Celtic away where we conceded very late on and Hibernian at home.

I was at all of them! We also had a 3-3 league cup tie with Celtic at Boghead where Sons were3-1 up at half time.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

2 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I was at all of them! We also had a 3-3 league cup tie with Celtic at Boghead where Sons were3-1 up at half time.

I remember being at that game. If I remember right a guy called Dalgleish came on and scored two goals to save Celtic embarresment

They did tape over a lot though. The one I'd really like to see is the league cup semi against Celtic. However my sister worked for stv many moons ago and a thorough search came to the conclusion that it had been taped over
Wasn't the game also shown on the BBC? I remember Sam Leitch showing the clip of Lawrie Williams' penalty save from Willie Wallace on Grandstand (in what is now the Football Focus slot) the following Saturday. I got back too late from Hampden to see the highlights on the night.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
11 hours ago, Howlin said:

You could be right on that. Remarkable.

We were 3-1 up AT halftime, after Celtic scored first. John Bourke headed against the bar from a corner early in the second half before Celtic salvaged the game. Hughie McLean was different class.

I remember a few other things about this game 1) Sons wore a Manchester United style red top with white collar and trim 2) I think it was the Wallace's last game before departing for Coventry City.

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

I seem to remember this being my first memory of a sons game, right up the back of a packed stand behind the goal, in the boghead road end.

" A packed stand behind the goal, in the boghead road end."

Nah. Packed terracing unless you were all sitting.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I remember a few other things about this game 1) Sons wore a Manchester United style red top with white collar and trim 2) I think it was the Wallace's last game before departing for Coventry City.

I'm pretty sure it was a plain 'turtle-neck' collar Wilf, ie no white trim, with white shorts and red socks, but you may be spot-on with the Ian Wallace timing.  The first-half display by Sons was as good as anything I've ever seen from a Dumbarton side, and I recall a very muted Celtic support at half-time.  As I said above, big Bourkie rattled the bar before Celtic salvaged a point.  In truth, Sons simply ran out of steam.   BBPF may be interested to learn that the half-time draw was won by ticket 2388.

As for that fascinating series of 3-3 draws, I also attended them all but the highlight for me was Peter Coleman's 25-yard rocket into the 'Sellick End' postage stamp at Parkhead - it nearly won us the game but not quite.