Sons' sorrow

It's a bit difficult to compare the relative contributions of Froxylias and Dowie and this perhaps illustrates the difficulty in choosing a player of the year.

Froxylias' goals against Connah's Quay, Dunfermline and TNS were without doubt the high points of excitement in a season replete with hum drum performances.

Dowie has solidly and reliably performed his defensive role and that of captain, well. 

It's fair to say that we may have eight points more than we might have had thanks to Froxy's goals. He got us through the TNS game with a goal despite only being on the park from the 79th minute.  It isn't so easy to quantify Dowie's contribution, it's much more of an assessment over time.

For excitement Froxylias, for consistency Dowie. You makes your choice.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

Just to answer a wee point OKI made earlier in the thread (could've been the United one actually) we've named an unchanged side on four occasions (according to my quick flick through my stats folder) since the Betfred Cup got underway in July.

That's four times in 43 games...

Just to answer a wee point OKI made earlier in the thread (could've been the United one actually) we've named an unchanged side on four occasions (according to my quick flick through my stats folder) since the Betfred Cup got underway in July.
Thanks So8, I think. I get the feeling that a few hideous stats remain to be mined before the season expires.

I had a quick look to see how consistent the back 4 selection was, I thought it was 13 games since the same group played 2 in a row. Can you check that please?

17 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I had a quick look to see how consistent the back 4 selection was, I thought it was 13 games since the same group played 2 in a row. Can you check that please?

We started the same back four 12 games ago (against Livi) but started 3-5-2. So technically that was a different shape and with an additional player (Liam Dick in this case). 14 games ago we lined up with the same back four in 4-2-3-1 as the previous week. That was Smith-Barr-Dowie-Dick against St Mirren on January 13.

Even that group had only played together for the previous two games.

Last time we had a settled back four would've been about the end of November when Wardrop-Dowie-Barr-McLaughlin managed four consecutive games.

So aye, we've been unsettled defensively and unsettled going forward. Only really Scott Gallacher, Andy Dowie, Craig Barr and Kyle Hutton have been what you would describe as 'almost ever presents' in the same position.

Whilst this is a factor, when your squad

We started the same back four 12 games ago (against Livi) but started 3-5-2. So technically that was a different shape and with an additional player (Liam Dick in this case). 14 games ago we lined up with the same back four in 4-2-3-1 as the previous week. That was Smith-Barr-Dowie-Dick against St Mirren on January 13.
Even that group had only played together for the previous two games.
Last time we had a settled back four would've been about the end of November when Wardrop-Dowie-Barr-McLaughlin managed four consecutive games.
So aye, we've been unsettled defensively and unsettled going forward. Only really Scott Gallacher, Andy Dowie, Craig Barr and Kyle Hutton have been what you would describe as 'almost ever presents' in the same position.
Whilst this is a factor, when your squad is devoid of players with pace, creativity, physical presence and movement off the ball then you are up against it. We simply haven't had enough quality this season.

I was genuinely quite excited by stevies signings last summer, particularly the ones from raith, despite their relegation. I always thought it was a false position for them. Getting the likes of Barr, stewart, Johnstone, added to nade, Hutton and dowie. Compared to last season, I thought on paper, we had a better squad, but unfortunately we don’t play on paper. Safe to say many might leave, but I doubt there’ll be any clubs from the championship will cherry pick them.

The problem is if we go down we aren't going to be fighting with other championship teams plus ayr/raith for players. We're going to be fighting with clyde, Airdrie, alloa etc etc. Needless to say the quality of our players will go down, not to mention these other teams will no doubt be able to offer more than us. Relegation could be a disaster both on and off the field.

I was looking through my Timehop there, when a wee stat from a couple of seasons back popped up.

Does everyone remember in 2015/16 when we went from the week before Christmas (against Livi ironically) until May 1st (the final day of the season) without scoring an away goal?

Obviously squad rotation and a simple lack of quality/confidence are playing a role in our current run, but for it to happen to two totally different squads under the same manager suggests Stevie's tactics are playing a role too.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I was looking through my Timehop there, when a wee stat from a couple of seasons back popped up.

Does everyone remember in 2015/16 when we went from the week before Christmas (against Livi ironically) until May 1st (the final day of the season) without scoring an away goal?

Obviously squad rotation and a simple lack of quality/confidence are playing a role in our current run, but for it to happen to two totally different squads under the same manager suggests Stevie's tactics are playing a role too.

Remember it well

*shudder*

Déjà vu they call it :(