Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

And when was that?

Fear it all you want. It's ķnicker wetting at it's most extreme tbh.

1996/7/8. About twenty years ago.

In football things have a habit of repeating themselves sometime down the line.

It wouldn't bother me which division we play in. We were a mid table (at best) league 1 team at the start of this decade. I love being in the Championship but I don't fear relegation.  The last nine years have been amazing but when (if) we head back down it won't stop me going. 

It wouldn't bother me which division we play in. We were a mid table (at best) league 1 team at the start of this decade. I love being in the Championship but I don't fear relegation.  The last nine years have been amazing but when (if) we head back down it won't stop me going. 

Of course it won't.

It's just not something I'd be mad keen on actually happening to us, as much as it's a guarantee that it will happen some time.

Given our boards recent record with managerial appointments I'd be massively surprised to see us appoint a Jim Fallon or a Colin Nish.

Not sure I would be so confident. Gilbert Lawrie was instrumental in both appointments and is sadly no longer with us. I can't see another gem been unearthed next time.

Not sure I would be so confident. Gilbert Lawrie was instrumental in both appointments and is sadly no longer with us. I can't see another gem been unearthed next time.

He was certainly involved but not instrumental. There is nothing to suggest we couldn't make another good appointment, but it's always a punt.

Some rather interesting and familiar things happening at Boston United - http://www.thequadrantboston.co.uk/the-project/football-stadium/

New stadium costing 12 million, money being raised by sale of land for houses (which by the looks of some newspaper articles isn't raising enough), possibly building it in stages, community hub, hotel, office space etc.

Anyone know if Boston recently appointed a director by the name of Ian Wilson?

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Some rather interesting and familiar things happening at Boston United - http://www.thequadrantboston.co.uk/the-project/football-stadium/

New stadium costing 12 million, money being raised by sale of land for houses (which by the looks of some newspaper articles isn't raising enough), possibly building it in stages, community hub, hotel, office space etc.

Anyone know if Boston recently appointed a director by the name of Ian Wilson?

Pah, they don't even have a Robert the Bruce themed museum. What a diddy team.

I'm not surprised.

There's really no way for small clubs to build a new ground these days without there being some kind of enabling development. Look at the likes of Clyde, Airdrie and Livingston - 3 grounds where there really needs to be better development of the area around the ground. Almondvale is set to have houses built around it.

35 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'm not surprised.

There's really no way for small clubs to build a new ground these days without there being some kind of enabling development. Look at the likes of Clyde, Airdrie and Livingston - 3 grounds where there really needs to be better development of the area around the ground. Almondvale is set to have houses built around it.

I agree with your point but would scratch Clyde from your list. It would be a shame if the various sport facilities (5 aside pitches, tennis courts, bmx track) which encircle Broadwood were encroached upon by yet more housing development

I don't know if it was DFC, Celtic, The SFA or Sam himself who organised this, but it's great to see one of our players out interacting with the community. Combined with the cheap entry prices hopefully he might've convinced a few kids to head along tomorrow night.

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I don't know if it was DFC, Celtic, The SFA or Sam himself who organised this, but it's great to see one of our players out interacting with the community. Combined with the cheap entry prices hopefully he might've convinced a few kids to head along tomorrow night.

I'm reliably informed that this happens more frequently than we hear of. Aitken visits local schools and clubs and if a player is available they do so too where possible. Good to see it getting some social media coverage though.

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm reliably informed that this happens more frequently than we hear of. Aitken visits local schools and clubs and if a player is available they do so too where possible. Good to see it getting some social media coverage though.

Nice. I didn't know that. It's a brilliant way of getting kids involved imo - especially at Primary School.

I remember being totally starstruck when we got a visit from Derek Ferguson when I was in P7 (and he was Stranraer manager). Can only imagine what an 11 year old me would be like if Froxy sauntered into Craigdhu Primary for a wee afternoon football session :o