Sons' sorrow

8 goals in 70 games at Wycombe. Hardly impressive.

True, but it's a higher level than we are at, and most of his appearances were from the bench.

12 in 25 for Thistle the last time he played at this level is a very decent return.

Have seen a few mentions of trying to get Shankland on loan from Aberdeen this season.

Having seen him in the flesh a couple of times now I am not convinced he is what we need.

Obviously his goals for the Dons U20's last season show he has talent but...

In the Aberdeen v St Johnstone game at the tail end of last season he looked laboured, his touch was poor, and he consistently made the wrong decisions. In comparison Chris Kane came on as a sub and after 30 seconds, and two touches, had the ball in the back of the net.

Today in a friendly at Peterhead Shankland didn't look any better and I can't recall him having a single effort on goal.

Perhaps he is just trying too hard, but I have to say his body language doesn't look positive either.

An enigma.

In other news Andy Rodgers is still shite...

As others have mentioned, can only imagine that if Craig is in the sqwad pics that he's already signed up for the season.

Edited to add: What happened to us wearing the new away kit today? Can only imagine the bankies turned up with their away kit which meant we had to wear the white one. Looks pretty smart from the pics, will nae doubt pick one up when they go on sale.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

If that was Dumbartons 1st team squad today then I fear the title of this thread may well be true to life!

Good luck for the season ahead.

Cheers, good luck to you too. Maybe one day we'll have a proper derby again :)

Aye it was pretty much our first team - minus first choice RB Scott Taggart. To be honest I thought we were fairly comfortable for most of the game and could've been 4 or 5 - 1 up at HT (The Gibson and Miller FK's, Smith falling over his feet with the goal gaping and Hamilton's save of the season from Kirkpatrick's header) Our lack of a clinical...or even decent finisher was very evident!

The second half we changed things about a wee bit, but I think the fear of injury stopped us from being anywhere near as effective. Then when we took Willie Gibson off the game slowly fizzled out. With the exception of the Kasubandi shot which hit the post, I barely remember Jaz being called into any sort of action.

It looks like the makings of a potentially decent team you've got yourselves. Particularly like Hashim Cole, very solid defensively and not the sort of guy you'd fancy going into a 50/50 with!

Take it Del's injured? Saw him before the game in his trackie.

From our perspective I thought Garry Fleming was excellent, Grant Gallagher once again impressed me. He's so powerful it's frightening, no idea why he hasn't been picked up by a bigger club before now. Obviously it's still early days, but I already prefer him to Turner or Aggy!

I like Routledge a lot as well. He's an excellent tackler and exactly the sort of gritty guy you need in the middle of the park. Loves a moan mind you, although so does Gall...and Miller....and Gibson....and Docherty. What a wonderfully horrible team we have 8)

Docherty and Brown had nightmares for the goal, looked like the former was trying to do a press up and head the ball back :lol:

Quite liking that new away kit, although had to double take when I first saw it. Thought it was an old picture from 07/08 with the yellowygold Surridge kits.

#666 came and sat behind me in the second half, I was absolutely terrified when he walked that he'd heard me criticise one of his passes in the first half, and had arrived to deal with me :lol:

Edit

Realised I said: "Docherty and Brown had nightmares for the goal, looked like Mark was trying to do a press up and head the ball back :lol:"

They are both called Mark, I've clarified I meant Herbalife Mark.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

If that was Dumbartons 1st team squad today then I fear the title of this thread may well be true to life!

Good luck for the season ahead.

Pre-season games are often a good marker for absolutely hee haw. We beat Hearts 2-0 two weeks ago, should we be winning the league?

Given that it was our 1st game of the pre-season with a lot of new players I was expecting us to take a bit of a doing.

Del should be back in a week or two I`m told.

EDIT : Nice reception for big Josh when he came on for the 2nd half too.

Edited by Bankies Alive

I thought we (Clydebank) played well after a really poor season and major reconstruction it was difficult to tell how we'd shape up in this one. Dumbarton been on the up and sending out a strong squad you felt there would be a gulf in class in the end but that never really materialised.

There's no doubt they had the best chances but thought we knocked the ball about well and fitness wise we matched the full 90 when sometimes that falters against teams late on from a higher level.

Enjoyed the game good early test for us hopefully this is the beginning of a strong rebuild for us, I'm sure for Dumbarton they will take some things away from the game that they would want to improve on as well. Met Stevie Aitken a few weeks ago and spoke very well. Good luck.

Craig is a superb signing for you, provided he still resembles the player who played for us when we won the First Division in 2012/13. Strong, leads the line well and is clearly an absolute pain in the arse to play against. From memory most of his goals were of the tap in variety, but he did score quite a few in that season.

It was the right decision to let him go as he wouldn't have cut it in the Premiership, but he's a cracking signing for a part time team and I hope he does well for you.