Sons' sorrow

I think this is a big mistake and I'm still holding out hope that we'll have someone else in by August.

We already have 3 first team keepers signed up, fair enough Lumsden will be playing for the reserves but I don't think it's necessary for a part time side to have 3 keepers. I think we're going with both of them and that's it.

A striker needed and that will be the squad complete. I think this could be the most important signing so far so I'm interested to see who we go for.

We will definitely not be signing a third senior 'keeper, so it's time to get used to what we've got, because it won't be changing anytime soon.

As Moonster says, a striker is likely all we'll be after now, the squad is essentially complete and has been put together in good time for getting everyone fully fit through pre-season.

I'm not overly concerned about having Ewings and Grindlay back....i personally think both are pretty good Championship level keepers, and will provide competition for each other.

I am struggling to recall many games last season where their mistakes cost us games.....i do recall however plenty of games where their saves ensured we won or drew games.

Our style of play means we will lose goals.....lets not blame the keepers for this

anyway....who out there (and available) is any better?

I'm not overly concerned about having Ewings and Grindlay back....i personally think both are pretty good Championship level keepers, and will provide competition for each other.

I am struggling to recall many games last season where their mistakes cost us games.....i do recall however plenty of games where their saves ensured we won or drew games.

Our style of play means we will lose goals.....lets not blame the keepers for this

anyway....who out there (and available) is any better?

At home against Dundee, away against Dundee are two that spring to mind (a howler from each keeper). I don't even think it's a case of them costing us games, it's about these mistakes making it so much more difficult for our attackers. Every goal they throw in means our forwards need to score two, granted we've done it well up until now but I don't think it's a safe way to carry on. A keeper throwing in a goal every few weeks can also affect the defence in front of him, they need to be confident in their keeper and vice versa.

As for who's available, Lee Robinson is one but I'll concede it's possible we were after him and didn't get him. When we were in need of a striker last year, did we pose the same question? I don't think so, we said "we need a keeper and we hope Murray goes and gets one". Very few, if any, of us had even heard of Chris Kane or knew he was available and he came in and scored more than 10 goals. Murray's job is to find players, if he's tried and came up with nothing better than Grindlay and Ewings then fair enough but I find it hard to believe there isn't even a loan keeper from an SPL side (a la QOS last year and possibly this year) that would have been a better option.

But, what the f**k do I know. In Muzz we trust 'n aw 'at.

Agree with most of whats been said regarding the same keepers signing up. Like others I was hoping for a new keeper between the sticks this year. Which isn't to say that either Ewings or Grindlay are bad keepers but the aforementioned mistakes can't instill a great deal of confidence in the players in front of them.

FWIW I think Grindlay is the better keeper but the difference is borderline negligible. His performance away at Arbroath was absolutely brilliant, he arguably almost single-handedly got us to the Play Off Final with his performance that day.

I do agree that a striker should be top of the list going forward and it will be interesting to see who we bring in. We could really use a bit of pace up front....

I recall our potent strike-force bailing us out of games the keepers might have cost us.

Multiple howlers against Dundee, Cowdenbeath and QOS immediately spring to mind.

I was thinking Ryan Scully on loan from us would have been a shout, on loan to Dunfermline last season, but he's back on loan there despite relegation I've just noticed.

I was thinking Ryan Scully on loan from us would have been a shout, on loan to Dunfermline last season, but he's back on loan there despite relegation I've just noticed.

Dunfermline didn't get relegated. They failed to win promotion.

Who was in goals for the play-off draw away to Arbroath? Grindlay? One of the best lower-league goalkeeping performances I've ever seen.

Arbroath had enough chances to win 2/3 games that day,but Grindlay was unbelieveable jeff.Looked what happened since that day,Arbroath now in the second.Dumbarton flying high in the championship.

Quite impressed how dumbarton have gone about things. Squad shaped up nicely abd fairly early. Wee bit jealous tbh, we are pretty quiet.

Heard we offered Nish a contract too. Jimmy nic fancied him on our smaller pitch but I never felt he would leave yourselves.

Arbroath had enough chances to win 2/3 games that day,but Grindlay was unbelieveable jeff.Looked what happened since that day,Arbroath now in the second.Dumbarton flying high in the championship.

Similarly, the season that Hamilton were promoted to the 1st Division we were a bawhair away from taking that from them and they went onto the SPL, back to the Championship and now back to the top table.

Quite impressed how dumbarton have gone about things. Squad shaped up nicely abd fairly early. Wee bit jealous tbh, we are pretty quiet.

Heard we offered Nish a contract too. Jimmy nic fancied him on our smaller pitch but I never felt he would leave yourselves.

He coaches our 19s and I would imagine earns a healthy wedge from that and playing. We still need someone to partner him though, Nish won't fire us to safety.

Always thought that ewings was a skillful enough keeper but was just too small. Neuer of Germany and forster of England who.are both giants are the future for goalkeeping. How many national teams have goalies under six feet? Grindlay is fair enough but is a nightmare at crosses.Craig Gordon would have been perfect but Gilbert could not match the offer Celtic made.

I'd have grindlay as my number 1, I personally don't think he's as bad at crosses as is made out, keepers all make mistakes, and I take on board his mistake against dundee, which was in my opinion,more a misjudgement due to the wind holding the ball up. If anyone can remember,his two previous kick outs both went out for dundee goal kicks, so for the goal,the ball held up coming into his own box

Happy with the signing of grindlay, hard to find much better at our level, don't think the cross ball thing is as much of an issue as people make out. As far as any mistakes he's made over the years or points he's cost us , he has saved us a hell of a lot more and throw in a promotion!!!! Team of the year 2011/12 and great service to the club

Always thought that ewings was a skillful enough keeper but was just too small. Neuer of Germany and forster of England who.are both giants are the future for goalkeeping. How many national teams have goalies under six feet? Grindlay is fair enough but is a nightmare at crosses.Craig Gordon would have been perfect but Gilbert could not match the offer Celtic made.

And yet Ewings is six feet.

It's extremely disappointing that Murray was unable to secure a new keeper. It was by far the weakest area of the team last season, and unfortunately will continue to be this season. I agree that Murray needs to make one of them his number one and stick with him, though. The constant changes did no one any good.

Other than that, the squad is shaping up nicely. A striker to partner Nish is the priority; I still think it's highly possible that we'll see Kane return, despite Wright saying that he wouldn't be loaned out again.

Edited by FifeSons

Cant see kane on loan anywhere this season st johnstone squad reduced severely and not signing any more. He will get his chance there. Think we were trying to get him. My cousin works at st Johnstone and says kane wont be out on loan.

Cant see kane on loan anywhere this season st johnstone squad reduced severely and not signing any more. He will get his chance there. Think we were trying to get him. My cousin works at st Johnstone and says kane wont be out on loan.

Thing is though, I don't think Kane is ready for the premiership based on his performances last year. Yes he was decent but still has a lot to work on. If he is found to not be ready then there's no doubt he will probably be sent out on loan again.