Sons' sorrow

As I said in their thread on the Premiership forum, I think it isn't out of the question to suggest that Murray has bigger ambitions than to St Mirren. Fantastic bit of business by Dumbarton if he can continue on the same path. Shite news for clubs like ourselves given Dumbarton continued to look so strong.

I knew he wouldn't let me down.

Great news from the club, and lets not gloss over the importance of itbeing a TWO YEAR deal. If he goes during that spell we'll be compensated accordingly.

What more can Murray achieve? I think he may be making a mistake signing a two year deal. Next season the league will be much stronger and they will be aiming for 8th place. If Cowden go down 9th would be a very real possibility.

Alternatively, you could look at it as a no lose position for Murray. If we are relegated next season people will point to it having been a far tougher league. If he keeps us up it'll be hailed as yet another achievement, what with it being a tougher league and all that...!

Contrast that with a move to St Mirren where a top-six finish would have been an achievement, but a tough call. Anything less would have been a steop back from what Lennon achieved.

What more can Murray achieve? I think he may be making a mistake signing a two year deal. Next season the league will be much stronger and they will be aiming for 8th place. If Cowden go down 9th would be a very real possibility.

Another season of safety will see him lauded as a miracle worker. Relegation wont see his reputation shattered due to the strength of the league.

If we hold onto him for a full season i'll be surprised. Although he is only 33 and still has a lot to learn, I think he knows that himself.

Promotion next season then the SPL the season after that.

In all seriousness though if he keeps us in the league next season with Rangers, Hearts and possibly Hibs and then we have another season like this (maybe even pushing more for the playoffs) then he will have acheived more than most and will then be ready for a bigger gig unlike some in the SPL who after winning a diddy league in one season with a full time team immediately jumps ship *Cough* Allan Johnston *Cough*

As others have said, staying up next year will be an achievement. Keeping Dumbarton in next years Championship I think would look better on his CV than doing the same with St. Mirren in the Premiership.

The two year deal is protection for both club and manager. Murray's job is completely safe and even if he takes us down next year I can't see him being sacked. If he improves again then a club will come in for him and we won't be difficult to deal with in letting him move on, but by getting him on the two year deal it gives us a bit of leverage when negotiating.

Well done the board, can't wait to see what squad we build this year.

Will it ? Hearts replace Dundee and may be better than Dundee but that's by no means certain given the financial restraints. Anyway Dundee took twelve points off us so we can only do better against Hearts. Rangers replace Morton and that's obviously going to be harder. Having said that Morton took six points off us. So if we can take six points from our four games against Hearts and Rangers we are no worse off than this season.

If Hibs win the play off we still have Hamilton/Falkirk and if Cowdenbeath beat Dunfermline we still have you lot. Even if Dunfermline win I doubt if they will be any better than you have been this season.

So all this talk about it being a much harder division for us doesn't really stack up.

Keeping Dumbo in the league with an 8th place finish won't raises the eyebrows the way this season has. If he takes you down then people won't be fawning all over him regardless of past achievements.

To say next season's league won't be stronger is ridiculous. Hearts and Rangers will be far stronger than any team currently in the league. Add Hibs to that and that's 3 stronger teams. If Dunfermline came up it would also reduce the number of part time teams.

So it absolutely does 'stack up'.

Keeping Dumbo in the league with an 8th place finish won't raises the eyebrows the way this season has. If he takes you down then people won't be fawning all over him regardless of past achievements.

If there was Hearts, Rangers, Hibs and Dunfermline in the league then I think an 8th place finish would be a great achievement, it would mean finishing above at least 1 full-time team again. If he takes us down then he's got a year to try and get us back up.

I do think if we get off to a good start though it's unlikely he'll see out the season with us but I said that last season so what do I know.

Edited by The Moonster