Sons' sorrow

Another catastrophic decision by DL. I had heard he had a very good spell at you last season and as def ready for the step up. We had Van Zanten who is past it, and brought in a guy caprice on loan from Blackpool who i think got 10 mins for football before the loan deal was cancelled at Xmas (6 of the 7 players he brought in at start of season are already away!)

We have Naismith who has came through at Rb who is a big fit strong boy, but I think he may have very limited ability, so the fact that DL didn't see McGinn getting a game on front of DVZ really is baffling.

I think we would be a good step for Murray, we are a (relatively) well run club, and will get time off the board if things aren't going right (maybe to much time!)

Anyway, hope you keep up the good run and would love for use to get promoted, I don't want to see Dundee getting promoted anyway! (They stole my other preferred manager!)

Ian Murray would be wasted at St Mirren, they've gone as far as they can go for a middling club of their stature.

I know this is a bit out of the blue but does any sons fan remember the game against Manchester Utd in 1991? It was a bit before i was born but all i can find was the goalscorers for United that day (Mark Robins x2,Mark Hughes x2 and Brian McClair) can anyone else give me more info about the line ups? Is it true that Schmeichel made his début that day?

Reason I ask is that I overhead a few guys at the game yesterday one was a regular and the other one I hadn't seen before,the regular said something about it being Schmeiches first game for them just wondered if it was true,cracking bit of trivia if it is!

Schmeichel did indeed play his first match that day. I remember being astonished at how far he could throw the ball. The game was a testimonial for Alex Wright who had held a few positions at the club for roughly twenty years.

Dougie McCracken was subbed after almost breaking Mark Hughes in two and took his frustration out on the door in the tunnel.

I know this is a bit out of the blue but does any sons fan remember the game against Manchester Utd in 1991? It was a bit before i was born but all i can find was the goalscorers for United that day (Mark Robins x2,Mark Hughes x2 and Brian McClair) can anyone else give me more info about the line ups? Is it true that Schmeichel made his début that day?

Reason I ask is that I overhead a few guys at the game yesterday one was a regular and the other one I hadn't seen before,the regular said something about it being Schmeiches first game for them just wondered if it was true,cracking bit of trivia if it is!

Yup was at that game...I'm sure it was a testimonial for Alex Wright?? Man Utd had just won the Cup Winners Cup (or was it the Uefa cup, cannae mind). It was indeed Schmeichels first game and by christ he could throw the ball further than most keepers could kick it, for some reason that sticks in my mind. If I remember right I think Colin McNair missed a penalty for Dumbarton also.

ETA Microdave beat me to it ;-)

Edited by stu20vt

Yip Shmeicel's debut and the papers next day were full of how embarrassing it was for Jim Leighton to be dropped for some keeper that no one had ever heard of. Manchester Utd played pretty much the team that had just won the Cup winners cup yet only about 1500 turned up

5th... only a spot away from the playoff... seriously though, what happens if we somehow land in the SPL?

will The Rock be over run with celtic fans?

It already is! Only kidding. I don't think anyone has seriously contemplated what we would do. If we do get 4th, we're as well just enjoying it but there's a long way to go and as good as the run we are on now is, it can all change in a couple of weeks.

I'd still be happy enough with 8th. Although we are playing really well just now, injuries, suspensions, fatigue and loss of confidence after a few poor results could all still make an impact on the rest of the season.

Anything above 8th is a bonus.

Or am I being too pessimistic?

I'd still be happy enough with 8th. Although we are playing really well just now, injuries, suspensions, fatigue and loss of confidence after a few poor results could all still make an impact on the rest of the season.

Anything above 8th is a bonus.

Or am I being too pessimistic?

No, I think you're right. As much as we deserve our position, and 8th would be a disappointment on current form, you never know when you'll start dropping points through injury/ suspension/ crazy red cards etc.

Ultimately I'd take 8th, unless it was brought on by a visible complacence/ laziness on the players' part. And I don't see that happening with this team.

Edited by donald

A worry is that we continue this great run and then we are defeated by a heavy score line, which could lead to a loss of confidence in the squad. However, I just can't see that happening. On the injuries/suspensions note; our backup (Aggy, Miller, Fleming, Prunty, Smith, Murray, McDougall etc.) are more than capable of coming in and getting results. Still some games to play but with the management team and squad of players, I cannot see us facing relegation.

............It was indeed Schmeichels first game and by christ he could throw the ball further than most keepers could kick it, for some reason that sticks in my mind. ..........

I was a Steward that day.

My "fondest" recollection was a goal against us, but it's more to do with Schmeichel's throwing ability.

This is how I recall how it went:

Schmeichel at the edge of his penalty area, throws the ball to the other penalty area, McClair latches on to it, squares it to Hughes, who scored. I reckoned from throw out to goal was about five seconds.

Anybody else remember that one?

It's been a long, long time since I went to Boghead to see the Sons. 1976 was the year I last went after moving away. Now back, I'm of a mind to go along to the fancy dan new stadium and see what it's all about these days.

I doubt I'll be watching players of the calibre of MacLeod, Wallace, Bourke and Heron these days more's the pity.

Edited by Jock MacScottish

It's been a long, long time since I went to Boghead to see the Sons. 1976 was the year I last went after moving away. Now back, I'm of a mind to go along to the fancy dan new stadium and see what it's all about these days.

I doubt I'll be watching players of the calibre of MacLeod, Wallace, Bourke and Heron these days more's the pity.

I can't comment on those players as I wasn't alive/consciously watching football at the time but this is without doubt the best group we've had in my ~15 years watching Dumbarton. Get yourself down, or even better - to Aberdeen on Saturday!