Sons' sorrow

What's up with Ian Murray playing centre back ?

Although the man is undoubtedly a miracle worker I doubt he would miraculously become pacey, what we need is a quick centre back as McNiff,Linton,Scott Smith and Andy are not blessed with that gift and that leaves us every exposed a lot of the time.

To be honest at our level you'll be extremely lucky to find a pacey centre back. Even at the top level most central defenders don't possess much pace.

A CB who reads the game well shouldn't need to depend on pace as their positioning should be good enough to nullify the speed of the attacker. 9 times out of 10 the attacker will be faster.

It would be a bonus to have someone who isn't dreadfully slow (as Murray would be) but I think you'll be hard pushed to find a pacey central defender that's within our price range.

Lithgow had a bit of pace and was powerful which is what we're missing. I still reckon Ross Smith would be a decent signing for us.

wouldn't say he had pace at all! His positioning was great! And when I seem him against hibs I didn't like the look of him if I'm honest made a few mistakes. Wouldn't mind taking Liam Lindsay from Thistle on loan.

I think what he means is, Lithgow is quick for a centre back, especially one in our league.

The average centre half in our league is slow, to very slow. We don't really 'need' a pacey centre back. We just need someone who can defend.

I personally, don't think Linton is very good, at all, defensively. Smith needs to be at left back.

Smith is a very solid first division (not using the new shitey name) left back, but a very average centre back.

We definitely need another centre half, I'm a big fan of McNiff, and at times last season he looked not too bad, but I don't believe he can step up to the plate and cement a starting spot.

I can't really think of any centre backs that are available, I really hope Murray pulls a bunny out a hat.

Edited by bigmacDFC

We also need another centre mid, one who can defend. A proper box-to-box would be brilliant.

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but it sounds like the midfield was overrun. I can't understand why Murray thought Phinn and Agnew would work as a balanced partnership. As a last resort I could understand, but when Fleming and McNiff were available I find it baffling. But, I suppose, he is a young manager so will obviously make mistakes.

We also need another centre mid, one who can defend. A proper box-to-box would be brilliant.

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but it sounds like the midfield was overrun. I can't understand why Murray thought Phinn and Agnew would work as a balanced partnership. As a last resort I could understand, but when Fleming and McNiff were available I find it baffling. But, I suppose, he is a young manager so will obviously make mistakes.

agree with everything you've said! With Ronald out and possibly a few more leaving on loan I think we will see a few more in for me I can't see Linton staying with us possibly out on loan and with Ronald already away and Phinn not set to sign I can only imagine us taking a solid centre mid and a young defender on loan! Graham hasn't looked himself recently do hopefully he with be back to himself soon!

agree with everything you've said! With Ronald out and possibly a few more leaving on loan I think we will see a few more in for me I can't see Linton staying with us possibly out on loan and with Ronald already away and Phinn not set to sign I can only imagine us taking a solid centre mid and a young defender on loan! Graham hasn't looked himself recently do hopefully he with be back to himself soon!

!

Scott Linton is an experienced player, so why we he be put out on loan ? Isn't everyone rushing to judgement very quickly on a guy whom the Cowden fans rated highly ? I mean, FFS, we had to endure way more of Creaney than was good for us so let's at least give the lad a chance.

As for centre-mid I've already suggested that having both McDougall and Gilhaney in the same line-up is a luxury we cannot afford, so here's another suggestion, a midfield of Gilhaney, Turner, Phinn and Linton. See what I did there, I left out Aggy who I don't think gives us enough in the all round sense. I don't want another season of teams passing it thro us.

That would obviously see Smith return to left back and the addition of a central defender but I thing we're all agreed on that anyway.

Why would we change something that worked so well for us under Murray? Removing Agnew, Gilhaney and McDougall would give us zero creativity in the midfield. If you really want to have a more solidified midfield then you'd need to put another player in there, not remove three of our best and most creative. Agnew got double figures from midfield last season.

I agree playing Phinn and Agnew together was a shocker of a decision. I also think he should've tried Megginson alongside Fleming or Smith (even though both scored they both seem very similar). If we offer Phinn a deal it does absolutely nothing to improve our current squad i'm afraid. I hope he's shown the door personally, extremely unimpressed by him everytime i've seen him.

Lithgow is not fast for a cb at this level. Where folk get this idea from is beyond me. And whoever suggested sending Linton out on loan - lol. Thank f**k the schools go back soon.

I think what he means is, Lithgow is quick for a centre back, especially one in our league.

The average centre half in our league is slow, to very slow. We don't really 'need' a pacey centre back. We just need someone who can defend.

I personally, don't think Linton is very good, at all, defensively. Smith needs to be at left back.

Smith is a very solid first division (not using the new shitey name) left back, but a very average centre back.

We definitely need another centre half, I'm a big fan of McNiff, and at times last season he looked not too bad, but I don't believe he can step up to the plate and cement a starting spot.

I can't really think of any centre backs that are available, I really hope Murray pulls a bunny out a hat.

Glad we're giving Linton plenty of time to settle in. FWIW, he's ten times the player McNiff is.

Linton will be a good player for us, there is absolutely no chance he will be loaned out (that's just slightly less ridiculous than the suggestion last year that we should play Lithgow up front). We need more defenders, not to be getting shot of them.

Anyway, Clydebank tonight could be in jeopardy for me with work causing slight issues :thumbsdown . Any idea what team we're sending?

Glad we're giving Linton plenty of time to settle in. FWIW, he's ten times the player McNiff is.

Linton will be a good player for us, there is absolutely no chance he will be loaned out (that's just slightly less ridiculous than the suggestion last year that we should play Lithgow up front). We need more defenders, not to be getting shot of them.

Anyway, Clydebank tonight could be in jeopardy for me with work causing slight issues :thumbsdown . Any idea what team we're sending?

Nobody who played at the wknd will feature.

A mixture of u17's and supporters should see us good for the win I reckon.

I don't think Linton is a bad player, technical he is very decent, he has a great touch. However, I don't think he is solid enough defensively, albeit a step up from Creaney. When he attacks he takes ages to get back, and he gets stuck up the pitch when they are on the break, and doesn't put too much effort into getting back.