Sons' sorrow

True EL, smashin day in the capital. If you're comin to the game make yourself known and I'll get you a pint.

Ah, gutted I didn't see this earlier!

Decent game. Civil service were dire so it was hard to gauge how good Dumbarton were. McGinn at right-back looks like living up to the hype.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

First XI: Ewings, McGinn, Smith, Graham, McNiff, Turner, Kirkpatrick, Phinn, Prunty, McKerracher, McDougall.

Subs: Linton, Fleming, Halsman, Ronald, Coleman, Horne, Lumsden, Megginson.

Jee-sus, that's put me right off my pint of Deuchars :(

No harm to the lad, but I hope his inclusion today isn't a precursor to a signing offer.

Jee-sus, that's put me right off my pint of Deuchars :(

No harm to the lad, but I hope his inclusion today isn't a precursor to a signing offer.

Was running riot down the right wing in the latter part of the second half - by which time the Strollers' defenders were blowing bubbles in the unusually hot, balmy conditions on the Costa del Muirhouse. Different story in the First Division and agree with OK III that it's hard to see him cut the mustard when the league action starts. Decent enough workout for the Sons, who look as if they will lack nothing in fitness this season. McKerracher looks a very promising player. Kirkpatrick and Halsman did well too, but with no disrespect to the Strollers, difficult to judge just how good when up against an East of Scotland side.

Slight worry for me at the moment would be central defence, with Andy Graham limping off injured again in the second half. Personally sorry to see Lithgow leave and would be happier if we had another big, strong central defender on board.

Lamont and McCleish ex dumarton players were playing for us yesterday. Why were looking at players released from our fellow relegation contenders is beyond me. Guess these guys are fairly shit?

Mark Lamont was an essential part in our promotion. Good player, just lacks physicality. Didn't play many games last season, may be worth a punt.

I assume it is Craig McCleish you are talking about, played for us in the Second. Was decent enough but not up to First division standard.

Edited by The Elephant In The Rock

Lamont and McCleish ex dumarton players were playing for us yesterday. Why were looking at players released from our fellow relegation contenders is beyond me. Guess these guys are fairly shit?

McCleish is a weird one, was released by Stirling Albion, 2 seasons ago, after no being able to get a game there.

Lamont was outstanding for us in the Second Division, he is fast, can glide past players with ease and put a cracking ball in the box. However this season he has really struggled with the physicality of the league, the need to put 110% in and to defend.

Sounds like a worthwhile run-out yesterday and good to hear that we're looking fit as a squad.

Hopefully we'll have a few more additions before the first competitive game, but I suspect they'll be loans so might not happen for another week or so.

On the Lamont and McLeish situation, I'd say Lamont might be worth a punt, but he's weak, doesn't track back and isn't the sort of player I'd want as part of a battling season ahead. He's got a great delivery on him though, and could be a decent addition if he's bulked up a bit over the summer.

McLeish has left pretty much no impression on me in his short time with us, the only thing I can recall is that he too, is very light-weight and was a bit powder-puff in midfield for my liking.