Sons' sorrow

Lots of positives from a Sons point of view:

The result/performance, with that line-up, was very good. They were pretty much full strength, whereas we were playing almost a reserve team.

Meggison, I thought, looked pretty good, fast and good at dribbling. I feel we have lacked a fast striker who can dribble well for a while.

McKerracher looked very good, took his goal well, beat a few players and also put in a shift defensively. Looks a very good prospect, hopefully he kicks on this year and gets himself in the first team.

Smith - Looked decent, holds the ball up well and looks like he knows where the goal is. I would be very happy for us to sign him.

I saw Graham and Fleming in the stand, might be injured; if so I hope it isn't serious.

No sign of McDougall or Gils.

Good performance from the Sons yesterday. I thought McKerracher looked like a good prospect. Simple finish for his goal but you have to get yourself into those positions in the first place. Smith and McNiff looked solid at centre back. Meggison looked lively throughout and Kevin Smith also did well.

The most pleasing aspect for me was that we looked well organised and tight at the back. Hibs had the better of the possession without creating many clear cut chances in front of goal.

Have we reduced the width of the pitch? I think Murray hinted at doing just that last season and it did look like it'd been brought in a yard or so.

Finally, Ally McCoist spotted in the stand and by half-time we'd run out of steak pies. Coincidence??

Hibs had the better of the possession without creating many clear cut chances in front of goal.

Well that sounds familiar. A f**k load of passing side to side and backwards but no cutting edge unless Harris gets the ball in space. We badly need some strikers. Pre season stuff though so not bothered by the result, I remember we played very well against Sunderland in a pre season game under Colin Calderwood, drew 0-0 and should've won, everyone got all excited and thought we were in for a brilliant season. Obviously didnt happen. I'll take a slight interest in the Dumbarton results like I did last season because of Murray (next Hibs manager btw ;) ) so good luck for the season!

Edited by Hibernian1875

Must admit our pitch looks awfy yellow these days, maybe the 'traveling people' have been walking their dogs on it. Hasn't looked all that great for a couple of seasons now, was really noticable in the play off game against Airdrie on Alba.

Three or four years ago it was up there with the best.

Looks like the dip at the away end has been fixed, anyone confirm? quite hard to tell from where I sit.

Looks like the dip at the away end has been fixed, anyone confirm? quite hard to tell from where I sit.

Mentioned that yesterday. Definitely looks like its been fixed.

Think the grass will 'green up' in the coming weeks.

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons

apparently 4 yards taken off the length both ends and a yard off both sides. i thought it looked quite long. possibly yellow due to weed killer and long cos its being grown out.

Hmm,I wondered whether they would take some off each side, or just move the standside touchline in, solving the frozen strip issue.

apparently 4 yards taken off the length both ends and a yard off both sides. i thought it looked quite long. possibly yellow due to weed killer and long cos its being grown out.

Apparently there have been problems recently with the mower and the grass became overly long, resulting in it becoming 'yellow' when it was finally cut.

And tinkers ? and Gypsys ? Lot of un-pc folk in the Sons support it seems

Indeed, but I'll tell you something mildly worse than name-calling, scamming my 84 year-old neighbour for money last week using the old 'we've noticed your wall needs attention' lark. They even 'offered' to take her to a cashpoint.

Irish accents, unfinished 'work', demanding money, police involvement, exit of the travelling community last Friday - any connection I wonder ? But you are correct, henceforth we should know them as the salt of the earth.

Dowie's signed for Queens. I know we can't base much on Saturday's game but with Murray playing Smith at centre back along with McNiff, would he be thinking of playing Graham & Smith at centre half with Linton at left back, McGinn on the right and using McNiff as back up?

I'd still prefer if we got another centre back in. Kevin Smith seems like he could be our next (last?) striker to come in and Nicky Phinn getting through 90 minutes is also encouraging. Seeing McKerracher have a good game on Saturday was also encouraging and I'd have no doubts about calling on him if required over the season.

So if we sign Phinn and K. Smith, I'd say all we need is a centre back, thoughts?

Last season he wasn't ever fit and I understand the concerns from that side. I do think he could be a good player for us if he gets over his injuries and I'm sure Murray won't want him signed up if there's any danger of these injuries reoccurring. Perhaps a "Pay as you play" type deal (like we did for Gils when he first came I believe) would be the way to go.

I'd rather we were using Scott Smith at left-back to be honest. He was decent enough at centre-half last season when required to play there, but I'd feel more comfortable having a natural central defender partnering Andy Graham and utilising Smith's abilities as a full-back. McNiff and Smith could then act as cover for the first choice centre-halves if necessary during the course of the season. We've got three players who can play left-back (Smith, Linton, McNiff), three who can play right-back (McGinn, Graham, Horne) and three who can play centre-back (Graham, Smith, McNiff), so a natural (right footed preferably as Smith and McNiff are lefties) central defender would complete the defence for me.

Phinn's definitely for ability and if he comes through pre-season without anymore injuries then I'd be comfortable with him signing up for the season.

In an ideal world I'd be looking at us to add another centre forward as well as another centre back, so hopefully we can get Kevin Smith signed up as well as a defender. We'll almost certainly run with a smallish squad again, so if we got those two plus Phinn signed I'd be happy with that squad going into the new campaign.