Sons' sorrow

As i understand it Murray will be playing left back or left side centre back next year. Should give us a bit extra defensively and having him available for selection could be our best signing of the summer. In saying that if he plays regular, could some of his management decisions suffer as a result?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Murray said (at the meet the manager) that he didn't want to play Left back and saw himself as more CB or CM. He could also sign another LB and move Smith into CB permantly...

Wouldnt take ashgar back but maybe have look at devlin again and see how he shapes up. I think he'd be better dropping down to division two at a club like stenny for his own development for a season.

I'd only take Devlin back if we couldn't get anyone else or we sign him on a 2 year deal and loan him (with wages paid by loan club) for a bit. As his form was distinctly avergae for us last time...

As i understand it Murray will be playing left back or left side centre back next year. Should give us a bit extra defensively and having him available for selection could be our best signing of the summer. In saying that if he plays regular, could some of his management decisions suffer as a result?

I don't see him playing causing too many problems. Murray has said that he has no problem leaving Jack Ross at the side to watch how the game progresses. In any case, Murray may be able to see things on the pitch that may not be so obvious standing at the sideline? Who knows, but it's not a big worry for me.

I hope that when Murray has touted a possible 'change in style', as others have suggested, that it means he's going to try and make us more resolute and hard to beat.

We were very gung-ho last season, and while it was very entertaining, we could do with tempering it a bit with being more mean defensively. Murray playing in defence can only improve that area as far as I'm concerned. He and Graham (for example) would make a good defensive partnership IMO. Undoubtedly Murray will work on defending set-pieces, as that's one of our weakest areas.

I hope that when Murray has touted a possible 'change in style', as others have suggested, that it means he's going to try and make us more resolute and hard to beat.

We were very gung-ho last season, and while it was very entertaining, we could do with tempering it a bit with being more mean defensively. Murray playing in defence can only improve that area as far as I'm concerned. He and Graham (for example) would make a good defensive partnership IMO. Undoubtedly Murray will work on defending set-pieces, as that's one of our weakest areas.

I don't think Graham and Murray would make a good partnership, as I feel we need a bit of pace at the back.

I think Lithgow would be hard to replace. He wins absolutely everything in the air, I honestly don't think I've seen him lose a chalenge in the air all season, he is also pretty quick and loves an off-the-line clearance, including a diving header or two.

is L

I don't think Graham and Murray would make a good partnership, as I feel we need a bit of pace at the back.

I think Lithgow would be hard to replace. He wins absolutely everything in the air, I honestly don't think I've seen him lose a chalenge in the air all season, he is also pretty quick and loves an off-the-line clearance, including a diving header or two.

is Lithgow away?

That's fair enough. I can see where you're coming from with that. I wouldn't say that Lithgow is that quick, albeit he is quicker than Graham or Murray.

I'm just trying not to pin anything on Lithgow being part of the squad next season, as the initial signs aren't good given that he's yet to sign. And if we were to field Graham and Murray, I wouldn't be immediately yearning for Lithgow's return.

I do really hope that Lithgow re-signs, but I'd imagine he'll hold off as long as he can in an attempt to get full-time football, and do we even know if Lithgow has been offered terms by Murray?

I do really hope that Lithgow re-signs, but I'd imagine he'll hold off as long as he can in an attempt to get full-time football, and do we even know if Lithgow has been offered terms by Murray?

I think he was quite late in accepting terms last year though?

Pretty sure there was a post on the website that detailed those who were leaving which gave the impression everyone else had been offered terms.

Not sure if big Lithgow will get many other offers due to his prior indiscretions.

I think he was quite late in accepting terms last year though?

Pretty sure there was a post on the website that detailed those who were leaving which gave the impression everyone else had been offered terms.

Not sure if big Lithgow will get many other offers due to his prior indiscretions.

Yeah, I think he was if my memory serves me correctly.

Although there is the danger that if he doesn't re-sign (if he's been offered terms) then Murray could pursue other targets in the meantime and the offer could be taken off the table...

Really dont see Lithgow as being that hard to replace. Would prefer if he signed but if he doesn't i'm pretty confident Murray could find an adequate replacement. I certainly don't think he'll get a better offer elsewhere.

One thing I certainly wouldn't consider him is 'quick'.

Turner on the other hand was irreplaceable.

Where are you picking up this vibe, from a reliable source ? I ask because it was a frustration of mine that he didn't play last season and it would be good if he could get a decent pre-season this time round; he can certainly offer us something on the park, that's for sure.

Couple of things that might be of interest:

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/football/articles/2013/05/21/457973-dumbarton-midfielder-rejects-morton-to-sign-new-sons-deal/

http://www.kicktalk.co.uk/m/?id=7507 (The interview with Murray - about 2/3 of the way through)

Reporter - "Ian Murray, the manager, is doing well.. Ian Murray, the football player - any thoughts on what you're going to do next season?"

Murray - "We'll get pre season started, obviously once we know what division we are in first of all. I'll give it a bash in the summer, I'm not going to break my neck and run myself into the ground, but if I'm feeling up to it - I will be part of the squad again next season"

Edited by bigmacDFC

Where are you picking up this vibe, from a reliable source ?  I ask because it was a frustration of mine that he didn't play last season and it would be good if he could get a decent pre-season this time round; he can certainly offer us something on the park, that's for sure.

Source is fairly reliable as they are heavily involved at the club. In fact they are at the ground most days and it isn't Antonia. As far as i know it's no secret but it maybe just hasn't been reported yet. I found out by accident when enquiring about player sponsors for next season.

A full pre-season for Murray and he'll be good to go. Folk at the reserve game he played in said he was well short of match practice, he only played 45 minutes and didn't play again. He obviously knew he would never get himself fit for the run in and concentrated on managing the side.

As for Lithgow, he's held off from signing for as long as possible every year in the hope he'll get a full-time deal. I'm sure (like every other year) Murray will have set a deadline for players to let him know their intentions so I'm sure we'll hear one way or another shortly.

Wee Moore is seething in that article, absolutely gutted that the part-time diddies can offer better deals than him.