Sons' sorrow

What's happened to our fantastic away support? Just received a text saying the buses to Partick and Hamilton aren't running due to lack of bookings. It was only £4 to get to Partick, you won't get cheaper than that on the train.<br />Another annoying thing was hearing the quiz night was cancelled due to lack of teams. Very poor from our fans in a season where interest, I feel, should be higher due to our first division status.

I never put my name down for those buses as I won't be in the country but I must say, I would've got the train to Partick. When you only need to get a train to Glasgow and you have much more flexibility with times paying the extra quid for the train doesn't really come into it. I would have been at the quiz if I was here as well but the quiz has always done quite well in the past so maybe it's just a sign that folk are cutting back on things like this?

Poor from the fans? I'm not so sure, the core support will always be there and put money towards the club when they can. It's not our fault that the folk who only show up when we've got a "big" game don't come more often or help out by attending fundraisers.

me too, but he had some nice touches when he came on. It may be he will only be a trialist for cover while Garry Fleming is out injured?

Did we not find ourselves with a three against one towards the end on saturday and winters didn't pass the ball to either team mate. He turned back and allowed the Cowden defence to regroup. He didn't impress for me.

Did we not find ourselves with a three against one towards the end on saturday and winters didn't pass the ball to either team mate. He turned back and allowed the Cowden defence to regroup. He didn't impress for me.

I thought Winters looked very slow and he should have put Gilhaney in for at least a shot at the end.

yep...he made a mess of that, but he also produced a delightful chip over the wall for someone....maybe Agnew. there were also a few others who made a mess of good opportunities....Prunty i think had a great chance to volley / lob the keeper and hit a weak shot

as i said earlier, i suspect he will only be here for his 3 trialist games to provide cover, but think he offers something a little different

Possibly something to do with the fact that it's a dry bus, for a similar price to public transport, to a game mere minutes away. There's no reason why we should even be trying to run a bus to Partick.

Hamilton is also a doddle by public transport and, in fact, since the bus convenors refuse to make stops other than at Dumbarton or at the ground we're visiting it's much easier for myself and presumably others who don't live in the town to make our own way to games. Last time I asked to get off somewhere other than Dumbarton I was first met with a flat "no" and then eventually dropped on the side of the motorway. Small clubs like ours should be bending over backwards to get folk along, but if they're going to be unreasonable then I'll continue to not use them except for distant away games.

And don't get me started on that fucking karaoke machine.

After the Annan game in 2009, when we won the 3rd Division, on the way back, Casey asked our bus driver to pull off the M8 to drop him off in Glasgow. The driver did so, and Casey thanked the bus driver and the club in general on here for saving him a 90 minute round trip from Dumbarton back to Glasgow.

You must have got unlucky with the bus steward that day. Was he a Sonstrust member by any chance? Just asking like.

Ok took it from the game thread he was poor

I certainly didn't think he was. Was playing too deep to threaten the Jags goal, but played some nice forward balls for Fleming as the sole striker to run onto and linked well with the midfield. It may be that at 38 he doesn't have the legs for centre forward anymore, I'd need to see more of him to decide, but I thought he did well in the playmaker's role.

He's a fairly intelligent player with decent vision but the legs have gone. I'm not convinced he brings anything more to the team than Fleming, Lister and Prunty.

I'd probably agree with that. He was decent in an otherwise poor display, but didn't show much that said he'd be better than our existing "number 10" type players.

I'd probably agree with that. He was decent in an otherwise poor display, but didn't show much that said he'd be better than our existing "number 10" type players.

Winters arrival is indicative of the stop-gap wheeling and dealing Ian Murray is having to perform right now. Sometimes it works, eg McGinn and until recently Smith, and sometimes it doesn't, eg Ronald and the rarely-seen McCusker. I would however like to see Phinn get fit and get a run, and Murray himself; he was after all announced as a player-manager.

We are at least competing but still look very fragile at times, and I would imagine that the squad we are watching now will be radically different come August.

Vale Reporter carrying the story that we're trying to sign Winters up.

Edit: It's pretty clear that the manager isn't satisfied with the players available to him and thus he's been trying to bring in replacements, which is never easy to do during a season. Commendable that the gaffer is trying to get players in to make a bit of a difference, but it's never easy getting quality this late on, the summer is when we'll get to see him build his own squad and can really judge his signings. Anyone joining now can well be looked upon as a stopgap player.

Edited by Sweet Pete

I worry about the effect all this could have on our existing players morale.

I'd like to think it's more about adding depth to the squad rather than replacing players that we already have. 3 of the recent signings came the week before the (Raith?) game when we were 5 players down and had nobody to replace them with. If Winters can play in midfield as well as up front he could be a flexible alternative when injuries and suspensions kick in.

I don't feel we should just be adding players for the sake of adding more players. I'd rather see our youth team utilised than signing players such as Ronald signed just to fill a jersey. Our strikers also must feel a bit shite after seeing Murray get Winters and apparently trying to get Riordan in to "help out" when that area is probably the area we are most covered in. Prunty, Lister, Fleming, McCusker and MacDougall can all play there and I feel adding more players to that area (especially a knob like Riordan who could upset folk in the dressing room) says a lot about what Murray thinks of his current crop.

I don't feel we should just be adding players for the sake of adding more players. I'd rather see our youth team utilised than signing players such as Ronald signed just to fill a jersey. Our strikers also must feel a bit shite after seeing Murray get Winters and apparently trying to get Riordan in to "help out" when that area is probably the area we are most covered in. Prunty, Lister, Fleming, McCusker and MacDougall can all play there and I feel adding more players to that area (especially a knob like Riordan who could upset folk in the dressing room) says a lot about what Murray thinks of his current crop.

its his job to try and improve the team and keep us up in the 1st division. Personally i would love to see Riordan at the Rock. If he performs, he should be a stand out at this level. He is an SPL level player who has dropped off the scene due to off field issues, so perhaps looking to put himself back in the shop window

yes...its tough on the players, but our form has dropped....4 points our of last possible 18 indicates to me that we are still not good enough. if nothing else, it may push the current players to even higher levels, and will do them no harm to learn off better players around them

no idea what has happened to McCusker....seems to have disappeared