Sons' sorrow

Surprised Nicoll's been loaned out for the rest of the season. Murray's comments at the recent meet the manager event seemed to indicate that it would be a short term loan for fitness to aid his recovery. His deal is up in summer so I hope this isn't the last we'll see of him.

Sounds like he doesn't rate nicol and and has farmed him out to make room for new recruits. Although they haven't appeared yet.

Anyone who was there give any reports on the trialists, Buchanan in particular?

He'd be a good signing if we can get him fit and in the right frame of mind. Can still score goals at this level for sure.

Buchanan was wasted at centre mid so hard to tell. Right mid shite. Lamont decent, same as usual.

Strange decision to play him at central-midfield. He's been a forward all his days has he not? Hopefully he'll be given a shot in another game as he could be useful.

Yeah, always been a centre forward. Reserve line ups are always weird and often have players out of position, sometimes from lack of numbers, or to challenge them, or just to accommodate someone elsewhere. I'm sure he will play again.

Only went for 70mins odd since it was bloody freezing.

Murray looked very composed at the back didn't really put a foot wrong and was pretty vocal for the first 45, Subbed at half time.

McClusker held the ball up well and made some good runs but hope to see more from him in the coming weeks.

Lamont for me hasn't done enough to merrit a deal. Yeh he's got some pace and can put a ball across but too lightweight, breathe on him and he'll crumple. I know he's young and maybe I'm being a bit harsh but thing we could get better.

Lamont was worse than a wasted jersey during the first half of our cup replay against Hamilton. Forty-five minutes and not a tackle attempted. Id have booted him out of Dumbarton there and then.

We need players who are up for a fight if we're to avoid relegation and Lamont won't give us that. Far too lightweight and only interested when the ball is at his feet.

Lamont was worse than a wasted jersey during the first half of our cup replay against Hamilton. Forty-five minutes and not a tackle attempted. Id have booted him out of Dumbarton there and then.

We need players who are up for a fight if we're to avoid relegation and Lamont won't give us that. Far too lightweight and only interested when the ball is at his feet.

I'm of similar opinion, albeit I think we're in the minority.

He's good when he's got the ball, but compare him when he doesn't have the ball to say how McDougall and Gilhaney have improved in that area and there's a world of difference. He's not a tackler (many wingers aren't) but he doesn't offer enough all-round as far as I'm concerned.

His performance at Dunfermline towards the end of the year epitomised that for me. He's lightweight, doesn't like a tackle and doesn't do enough defensively. If he bulked-up and worked on tracking-back, maybe. But just now, he's not what we need as far as I'm concerned.

I'm of similar opinion, albeit I think we're in the minority.

He's good when he's got the ball, but compare him when he doesn't have the ball to say how McDougall and Gilhaney have improved in that area and there's a world of difference. He's not a tackler (many wingers aren't) but he doesn't offer enough all-round as far as I'm concerned.

His performance at Dunfermline towards the end of the year epitomised that for me. He's lightweight, doesn't like a tackle and doesn't do enough defensively. If he bulked-up and worked on tracking-back, maybe. But just now, he's not what we need as far as I'm concerned.

I like him, but concede that he could be more industrious and defensive. However, I wouldn't object to us taking a punt on him as a squad player and trying to develop him. If it doesn't work out then no harm done. I don't think he'd be in the starting XI if he signed anyway as Murray was using him as a sub before his loan expired and seems to prefer Gilhaney and McDougall on the wings (and has them playing well).

I still have some goodwill left over for Lamont from last season's winning streak. He was the catalyst for that, as far as I'm concerned. We slipped after he got injured at home to Cowden.

He's not been up to scratch this season but few were, pre-Murray.

If Murray thinks that Lamont will get the finger out as much as Gilhaney and MacDougall have then I'm all for taking him on. If we don't sign him then Murray obviously doesn't think he's got it in him, so cheery-bye.

I really feel what we're paying Lamont could be much better utilised on another player, waste of a wage so to speak. He's barely beat a man all season and the game against Hamilton was the worst individual performance I've seen in a long time.

Last season he was excellent at times but again spent a lot of it injured. I think for the time being 2nd division may be his level and he could certainly be doing with building his upper body strength and not being so unlucky with injuries. That being said he can whip in a great cross with both feet and certainly has the skill and pace to beat a man when he puts his mind to it.

I just don't think we're in a position at the moment to be hanging on to players who wont join in the fight and I feel Lamont falls into that category. In recent weeks Agnew, Gilhaney and McDougall have shocked me with the fight they've shown so maybe Lamont, if given a chance, could show the same. Unfortunately I have my doubts.

McDougall was sporting some heavy strapping on his leg last night so he may be given his chance as a trialist on Saturday.

To echo what's already been said, McDougall has finally looked the part since Murray took over. His set up for the 3rd goal at Cappielow was great.

Lamont impressed greatly last season but just looks a bit lightweight for this Division. Could be a worthwhile signing for us in the long run but I just wonder where there are a couple of other positions in the squad more in need of immediate cover?

Edited by Consolidate

I'm in agreement with the sentiment of the last two posts in that while Lamont could prove to be a decent player with time, we could be doing with spending his potential wage on a player we need more for the remainder of the season.

Lamont can put in a great cross, but his lack of dig and consistency are the main concerns for me.

To echo what's already been said, McDougall has finally looked the part since Murray took over. His set up for the 3rd goal at Cappielow was great.

Lamont impressed greatly last season but just looks a bit lightweight for this Division. Could be a worthwhile signing for us in the long run but I just wonder where there are a couple of other positions in the squad more in need of immediate cover?

Right back being the main one for me. When Devlin goes at the end of this month our only natural right back will be Jamie Lyden (I know he's on loan but maybe we can recall him at any time?). Unless Murray plans on getting himself fit, playing centre half and moving Graham to right back but even that still leaves us a bit light for cover at the back. If we can call Nicoll back in the event of an emergency then we're pretty well covered in midfield. Up front we've got Lister, Prunty, McCusker & Fleming who can all play there, which makes me wonder why Buchanan was playing last night - maybe just to give him game time as a favour similar to Tam McManus earlier this month.

Right back being the main one for me. When Devlin goes at the end of this month our only natural right back will be Jamie Lyden (I know he's on loan but maybe we can recall him at any time?). Unless Murray plans on getting himself fit, playing centre half and moving Graham to right back but even that still leaves us a bit light for cover at the back. If we can call Nicoll back in the event of an emergency then we're pretty well covered in midfield. Up front we've got Lister, Prunty, McCusker & Fleming who can all play there, which makes me wonder why Buchanan was playing last night - maybe just to give him game time as a favour similar to Tam McManus earlier this month.

I assumed that Buchanan and the other trialists were playing to give Murray a look at what's available. No harm in seeing if there's anything better than we have floating around.

Since Nicoll and Lyden are on deals at Clyde until their contracts expire then I doubt we'll be seeing them back. We can extend Devlin's loan for another 2 months after January if necessary, so we have a bit of time to find a right back who can play there for the last part of the season.

I assumed that Buchanan and the other trialists were playing to give Murray a look at what's available. No harm in seeing if there's anything better than we have floating around.

Since Nicoll and Lyden are on deals at Clyde until their contracts expire then I doubt we'll be seeing them back. We can extend Devlin's loan for another 2 months after January if necessary, so we have a bit of time to find a right back who can play there for the last part of the season.

I would hope we've not seen the last of Nicoll. He's been solid for us and should we be relegated he'd be good to have in the 2nd Division. Lyden is still young as well, would hope he's given another chance as I think there's a good player in there with the right coaching.

I'd like us to get right back sorted before January ends though. Yes, we can get Devlin back for 2 months but going to into the business end of the year I'd hate to see us having to juggle the rest of the defence around to cover that. I don't think there will be much (if anyone) available after January and will it not only be emergency loans of 35 days or something we can get in after that?