Sons' sorrow

For anyone wanting to re-live the win against Falkirk the highlights are now up on SFL TV!

I assume we'll have another RB in place by the end of the transfer window, with Nicky Devlin's 28 day deal expiring on the 31st we could have a deadline day swoop on our hands, they're always fun!

For anyone wanting to re-live the win against Falkirk the highlights are now up on SFL TV!

I assume we'll have another RB in place by the end of the transfer window, with Nicky Devlin's 28 day deal expiring on the 31st we could have a deadline day swoop on our hands, they're always fun!

Nicky's signed on for another month

Surprised no one has had anything to say about Murray's meet the manager session. I like him. He's a very calm individual and seems to look at things rationally. I found it interesting that he felt our pitch was too big for us in this league as it allows the full time teams to come and play the way they want and he would've made it smaller if he had the chance. It would appear under Adamson that things weren't exactly organised, as most of us feared, but it's having an effect on what Murray can do with the players at training now. We have half a pitch to train on one day and a quarter of a pitch for the other which is pretty shocking if you ask me.

Murray stated that all he has tried to do so far is make us a bit more professional, such as bringing in the sports scientist to assess everyone's fitness and advise them on what they should/shouldn't be eating etc. but also in the way we conduct ourselves on the park. Even at this early stage you can see it has made a difference.

I think a few fans may have been a bit taken a back when Murray said he's not really one for giving it the big one in front of the fans after a win. He was asked why he didn't wave to us at Falkirk (which had most in the room cringing) but Murray said he's not really one for doing that as it may be viewed as disrespectful to our opponents. Personally, I couldn't give two fucks if he waves to us or not, if we're leaving a ground with 3 points (like we did at Falkirk) then Murray can disappear up the tunnel as quickly as he likes.

I know most managers are good at talking the talk in these things but I was very impressed with Murray and I think we've got the right guy to take us forward.

Surprised no one has had anything to say about Murray's meet the manager session. I like him. He's a very calm individual and seems to look at things rationally. I found it interesting that he felt our pitch was too big for us in this league as it allows the full time teams to come and play the way they want and he would've made it smaller if he had the chance. It would appear under Adamson that things weren't exactly organised, as most of us feared, but it's having an effect on what Murray can do with the players at training now. We have half a pitch to train on one day and a quarter of a pitch for the other which is pretty shocking if you ask me.

Murray stated that all he has tried to do so far is make us a bit more professional, such as bringing in the sports scientist to assess everyone's fitness and advise them on what they should/shouldn't be eating etc. but also in the way we conduct ourselves on the park. Even at this early stage you can see it has made a difference.

I think a few fans may have been a bit taken a back when Murray said he's not really one for giving it the big one in front of the fans after a win. He was asked why he didn't wave to us at Falkirk (which had most in the room cringing) but Murray said he's not really one for doing that as it may be viewed as disrespectful to our opponents. Personally, I couldn't give two fucks if he waves to us or not, if we're leaving a ground with 3 points (like we did at Falkirk) then Murray can disappear up the tunnel as quickly as he likes.

I know most managers are good at talking the talk in these things but I was very impressed with Murray and I think we've got the right guy to take us forward.

When she started blathering I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me. What an odd wee speech that was.

Murray came across very well and was intelligent, articulate and thoughtful in his replies and steered clear of cliche. His comments focussed a lot on professionalism and it's clear that he's been setting to work making the club as modern and serious as possible. Some of the things he highlighted were surprising, particularly the training facilities being unsuitable at Ravenscraig due to a lack of available pitch space and that he had sorted their pre-match meals. These are the kinds of things which I had assumed would already be in place, as these are the bare minimum professional standards that I take for granted. A highly encouraging meeting and I took a lot of positives from it. I think given time he'll have a very positive impact on the club and its fortunes on and off the pitch.

I still haven't broken the news to Clarko_son that Nicoll is likely to be loaned out for fitness. I fear for his mental stability when he hears that.

He was asked why he didn't wave to us at Falkirk (which had most in the room cringing) but Murray said he's not really one for doing that as it may be viewed as disrespectful to our opponents. Personally, I couldn't give two fucks if he waves to us or not, if we're leaving a ground with 3 points (like we did at Falkirk) then Murray can disappear up the tunnel as quickly as he likes.

It doesn't matter about the result you know, it's all about the rappporrtt :barf

That nonsense aside, I thought he said all the right things. Positive results are what matter now though.

I was impressed too, especially his answers to the 'serious' points. Everyone should remenber that this cuts both ways, the better the job Ian Murray manages at Dumbarton the quicker he'll be up the next career rung and the better condition DFC will hopefully be, on and off the park. A win/win scenario.

However, and it's a big however, in the short term a lot is hanging on the activities on and off the pitch in the next month or so. If he can get himself fit, replacing Agnew in left midfield, and carry out some revolving door business in the dressing room then his credentials will surely be enhanced. If not, then the converse might equally be true.

At least we aeem to have a guy who has come into the job with his eyes wide open. I wish him well.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4289

Does the pre match routine involve a couple of pints and a game of pool? :lol:

What was the previous opening time?

Think it was 12:15. Maybe he's using the supporters lounge for the players pre-match meal, leaving the Chivas suite free for hospitality?

I too was impressed by what Murray had to say on Saturday. He wasn't only eloquent and clearly intelligent, but it's obvious that he knows what he's talking about as well.

I know it's easy to talk a good game, but I get a good feeling about this. Murray has some very direct ideas and I was particularly pleased to hear him talk of improving professionalism, attitude and such like.

Every management team has their own ways and ideas, and I don't want to get into the merits or otherwise of previous regimes, but Murray wanting to improve our attitude and become more organised (in many ways) can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

It's the little things he mentioned that surprised me, that most of us probably expect to happen as a matter of course, which I'm glad he's addressing.

Of course putting a winning team on the park and avoiding relegation, and chatting infront of fifty-odd folk about your aims are two massively different things, but I have genuine belief that it's possible for us to achieve our aims this season, and while there's a lot of work to go (as Murray will recognise only too well), it's been a very encouraging start and we certainly seem to be going in the right direction.

Hopefully Murray will try and offload Walker as well to free up a wage. Why he was kept on for this season I'll never know, He's a bottom end 2nd division player at best.

Fans favourite and puts in plenty of effort but he's never going to be good enough for the first division, I actually thought he looked out of his depth against the better sides last year.

Will be interesting to see where Lyden and Nicol end up. I'd imagine Lyden will be off to the 3rd.

Lyden came through our youth system. Had a couple of games in he first team last season looked a bit promising. Fell by the way side and featured regularly in the reserves this season. Plays at right back or centre back.

Edit: are they on there way to yous?

Edited by son hawk

Hiya. Let me know about Lyden; I've seen Nicol play before.

Uninspiring, rake thin centre-half / right-back. Made his first team debut about two years ago and still isn't a regular. Best of luck to him if he's coming to you.

I spoke to someone in a boozer before Christmas who said they knew him, I said something along the lines of the foregoing and their response was "Yeah, that's him".

Could be a decent player, but he'd need to go out and play at a decent level regularly to find out as he's going nowhere at Sons. I saw him for the ressies a while back and he looked lost, but in fairness Jack Ross (in his 50 minute cameo) was the only player who didn't look lost that night.

Nicoll's class in the battling midfield role and if we're going down this season then I truly hope that he'll still be with us for next season.

Lyden came through our youth system. Had a couple of games in he first team last season looked a bit promising. Fell by the way side and featured regularly in the reserves this season. Plays at right back or centre back.

Edit: are they on there way to yous?

Apparently they've signed on loan according to our match preview on the SFL site. No indication of the length of either deal.

We've only got 3 right backs so getting another one is brilliant news.

Best of luck with the rest of the season Sons, hope Murray does well for yous. One thing you'll get from Murray is fight. I've met him a couple times, years ago through family and he always seemed like a down to earth guy, from what I can remember anyway I was a wee boy :lol:

Scott Smith is rated at Hibs, I had hopes at the start of the season he would get some game time but for whatever reason Pat must not think he's ready. Anyway good luck.

Edited by The Grass Is Greener

Apparently they've signed on loan according to our match preview on the SFL site. No indication of the length of either deal.

We've only got 3 right backs so getting another one is brilliant news.

Confirmed until the end of the season.

Confirmed until the end of the season.

Surprised Nicoll's been loaned out for the rest of the season. Murray's comments at the recent meet the manager event seemed to indicate that it would be a short term loan for fitness to aid his recovery. His deal is up in summer so I hope this isn't the last we'll see of him.