Sons' sorrow

Players are in for training and fitness tests tomorrow.

I hope this sports scientist can get Gils fit.

If he could teach him how to beat a man again that would be better.

I'm really happy that we have a manager that's willing to look at all these type of aspects, but here comes the but.

Things like sports scientists, IMO, are for times when your team is 90-95% to perfection of performance, you bring in scientists/nutritionists/whatever to maximise the performance within that last 5-10%, wring every last ounce out.

Where we are just now, we are nowhere near that 90%, and what is needed to get us there is hard work on basic fitness levels, tactics and organisation, which is what Murray and Jack are there for.

The analogy I can think of is either a swimmer or cyclist who shaves their body hair, so that it makes them 0.1 second faster over the course, that 0.1 second might be the difference between success and failure. However, if our team was a cyclist or a swimmer, they currently have a puncture or are too fat to get into their swimming costume. There are bigger priorities and gains to be made than spending funds on a consultant sports scientist.

Again, as I said, just my opinion.

I'm really happy that we have a manager that's willing to look at all these type of aspects, but here comes the but.

Things like sports scientists, IMO, are for times when your team is 90-95% to perfection of performance, you bring in scientists/nutritionists/whatever to maximise the performance within that last 5-10%, wring every last ounce out.

Where we are just now, we are nowhere near that 90%, and what is needed to get us there is hard work on basic fitness levels, tactics and organisation, which is what Murray and Jack are there for.

The analogy I can think of is either a swimmer or cyclist who shaves their body hair, so that it makes them 0.1 second faster over the course, that 0.1 second might be the difference between success and failure. However, if our team was a cyclist or a swimmer, they currently have a puncture or are too fat to get into their swimming costume. There are bigger priorities and gains to be made than spending funds on a consultant sports scientist.

An opinion I agree with 100%.

We certainly fall short of other teams in terms of sharpness, which may improve with time as we adjust to playing at this level. However with the exception of Airdrie, Cowdenbeath and Hamilton we are losing because other teams simply have better players. I'm not sure if a sports scientist can bridge the gab in ability.

At least Murray has his own ideas and is willing to give these things a try. Have to give him respect for that.

In February 1973 sons played falkirk at quaint old brockville and lost 2-0.jocky whiteford scored for falkirk that night.

He of course went on to reach his peak at boghead along with his cousin Derek.

On returning to the supporters bus we discovered that some ragamuffin had panned in a couple of Windows. It was a cold drive home to dumbarton that night.

1356388294[/url]' post='6919571']

Dumbo fans are deluded.

Mid table 2nd div side who got lucky in the playoffs. Was always going to be a struggle. Better sides than them didnt get promoted.

Agreed. We're here on the merit of winning the playoffs, not by being the best, or second best team.

But we are here simply because of the process.

So, get yourself some bricks, concrete and maybe some metal, go build a bridge and get over it.

If you are, then I agree. BTW, Riordan and O'Connor are both available. Ex team mates of your gaffer. Would be good short term signings.

I'm really happy that we have a manager that's willing to look at all these type of aspects, but here comes the but.....

I see what you're saying and it was my first thought that other areas need addressed first. In saying that, Murray might know he's probably stuck with what he's got and needs them to be at their highest possible level to have any chance of keeping us up. I also doubt we're paying the guy all that much.

1356453000[/url]' post='6920305']

Ach, get ower yirsel Boagheed Rantur! Murray is just tryin' tae dae 'hings his ain way an' if he thinks oor plerrs huv a fitness problem, then that's his call. If it teks an expert tae soart it oot then get oan wi' it!

Does anyone out there have a translation app?

1356537739[/url]' post='6921332']

I see what you're saying and it was my first thought that other areas need addressed first. In saying that, Murray might know he's probably stuck with what he's got and needs them to be at their highest possible level to have any chance of keeping us up. I also hope to God that we're not paying the guy all that much.

These are my thoughts, just a little twist on what you're saying....

Ach, get ower yirsel Boagheed Rantur! Murray is just tryin' tae dae 'hings his ain way an' if he thinks oor plerrs huv a fitness problem, then that's his call. If it teks an expert tae soart it oot then get oan wi' it!

Does anyone out there have a translation app?

Judging by the way it's written, DC Thomson in Dundee would be the people to contact.

Jings, crivvens, help ma boab.

Phil Johnson away on a loan to Stirling Albion until the end of the season.

Mark Lamont's loan, and St Mirren contract are up.

Nicky Devlin's loan is also up, but I believe he will play tomorrow.

If we don't re-loan Devlin we'll obviously need to bring in a right-back and if we don't sign/loan Lamont, we'll need at least another winger, probably two.

Edited by bigmacDFC