Sons' sorrow

This will only work if we make the pitch Astro surely? I saw someone suggest we could apply for a grant ? 

totally understand the money it costs and the club probably can’t afford it but in the long run with the ground sharing for 5 years it must be something they may look into

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

From my understanding it's a bit more than a rumour, but it may involve more rigorous maintenance of the pitch.  We'll see....

Who said it would involve more maintenance? I don't believe that for a second, if we couldn't get the pitch in a decent state with Rangers paging us 1500 a game (and supposedly having their groundstaff to call on) then I don't see how a jumped up sports centre will help us there. 

3 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

No idea how much that joke club are paying, or where it is coming from, but surely if it is enough to lay a plastic pitch then that is the route that Dumbo should be going down. 

It absolutely wont be. A decent plastic pitch costs about half a million to lay. Hamilton spent 750k laying an upgraded one in 2018 and that was with all the previous groundwork already done for their previous one so you could be looking at even more than the regularly quoted 500k.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It absolutely wont be. A decent plastic pitch costs about half a million to lay. Hamilton spent 750k laying an upgraded one in 2018 and that was with all the previous groundwork already done for their previous one so you could be looking at even more than the regularly quoted 500k.

Would also require the 'dip' to be fixed at away end stand side corner flag. That, I would imagine, would add to the cost considerably. 

At this point, I think I would rather MacKay out before Farrell. HIs decision making has been incredibly bad and he is coming across as a gullible fool. Nothing has been learned over the last few seasons. Between the Sponsorship Money, the Farrell contract extension and the pitch sharing, his time in charge truly has been a phenomenal f**k up.

The news of this groundshare doesn't surprise me, but the five-year contractual agreement is seismic in terms of DFC's future.  I'm genuinely wondering who conducted the negotiations on the club's behalf and what exactly does this shared vision entail - is it purely Broomhill sharing our pitch and facilities, or is there something more profound in terms of future club ownership ?  It certainly seems to kill off any plan to relocate DFC (for now anyway), but what happens if the planning extension for housing is kiboshed - whither Cognitive Capital's intentions then ?

It's certainly a bit of a left-field development, and I think we need to know a lot more about what it will actually entail.  Does anyone know if Broomhill have any sort of serious money behind them ?

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Who said it would involve more maintenance? I don't believe that for a second, if we couldn't get the pitch in a decent state with Rangers paging us 1500 a game (and supposedly having their groundstaff to call on) then I don't see how a jumped up sports centre will help us there. 

Apparently Rangers ended up sending a young trainee because the more experienced guys had issues working with Dumbarton's groundsman.

40 minutes ago, super-son said:

At this point, I think I would rather MacKay out before Farrell. HIs decision making has been incredibly bad and he is coming across as a gullible fool. Nothing has been learned over the last few seasons. Between the Sponsorship Money, the Farrell contract extension and the pitch sharing, his time in charge truly has been a phenomenal f**k up.

Farrell will only go once MacKay's gone, so its the logical choice.

Also, MacKay's name was misspelled on his end of season statement, and it's never been corrected, which is pretty hilarious.

image.png.95365c069060a45f751f5349d8449eed.png

Edited by FifeSons

54 minutes ago, super-son said:

You forgot the website disaster.

Feels like years ago we changed to 4g and starting letting the community book for use. I couldn't imagine it otherwise now and is such a massive part of the community. Its almost a sports hub for hundreds/thousands of users now.

This whole groundsharing idea would work if this was the case with Dumbarton. Surely the pitch has to be changed? It costs alot but probably pays for itself in 3 years?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Apparently Rangers ended up sending a young trainee because the more experienced guys had issues working with Dumbarton's groundsman.

:lol:

We're a complete banter club now. Liquidation and starting at the bottom again genuinely doesn't sound like the worst option, IMO. It would at least hopefully rid us of criminals and fools. 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

:lol:

We're a complete banter club now. Liquidation and starting at the bottom again genuinely doesn't sound like the worst option, IMO. It would at least hopefully rid us of criminals and fools. 

I told you that months ago.

What are we like, eh? Some laugh.

Groundsharing is one thing but to put out a statement on your official website with quotes from the team that you will groundshare with talking about putting down roots and establishing a fan base not on your doorstep, but your actual fucking house is something else altogther. 

Okay I know Broomhill have no chance of building a fan base in Dumbarton but it's still a bloody stupid thing to put out. 

The bit in their statement about "investing, putting down roots and growing" and how "a home in Glasgow isn't possible" has really riled me. Dumbarton, like all lower league clubs, are in an eternal battle to get our own locals in the doors, and now we've got another club using our ground and looking to draw locals in? Who looked at that proposal and thought "this is a winner for DFC"? And the fact that BSC are literally nobodies with no fans only annoys me more. I hated the Rangers sharing agreement because of the state of the park and the graffiti they left in the ground, but at least we knew they weren't actively trying to steal our support (not that i think for a second that BSC will actually manage to do so). Utterly absurd on every level. If we put an artificial pitch in then I could at least stomach the pitch wear issue as it'd give Sons a ready made training ground of our own, but the fact it's a made up team (a pet hate) from the LL (a pet hate) and they've released that statement (a new pet hate) has me frothing.

If anyone needs me I'll be laughing, crying and vomiting simultaneously.