Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

One thing is for certain, he always chased the cash. 17 clubs across his career and he's had contracts ripped up so he can take more lucrative deals elsewhere. To think that Martin is here for anything other than the wad of cash that Hosie has no doubt promised him at the end is naive. 

I think that article above lends weight to that.

4 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Buchanan away.

Bit concerned.

That's really disappointing and a real blow. Gregor Buchanan will be the toughest player to replace in the squad I reckon; not just because he was a defender who was comfortable on the ball, but also for his threat at the other end.

I said it countless times, but when he played well we won games. And quite often he was the difference between a draw and a defeat or a win and a draw last year. Add that to the fact he was barely ever injured or suspended, and you had a really good member of any squad at this level.

I'm not convinced being captain fully suited him. And when he had a bad game then, my God, did he have a bad game (which normally resulted in us imploding). But it's difficult to see us being able to bring in someone as good as an on-form Gregor Buchanan.

I'd guess he was one of our higher earners mind you, so it's not a total shock to see another of our marquee signings from 2021/22 moving on with Joe McKee already gone.

I know he was linked with Stenny on Facebook, which wouldn't shock me. But I could also see him at Stirling Albion if they were in the market for another centre-half. Good luck to him wherever he ends up; he was one of few guys to be a good player across two spells for us - even if he didn't quite hit the heights of the Championship years.

9 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That's really disappointing and a real blow. Gregor Buchanan will be the toughest player to replace in the squad I reckon; not just because he was a defender who was comfortable on the ball, but also for his threat at the other end.

I said it countless times, but when he played well we won games. And quite often he was the difference between a draw and a defeat or a win and a draw last year. Add that to the fact he was barely ever injured or suspended, and you had a really good member of any squad at this level.

I'm not convinced being captain fully suited him. And when he had a bad game then, my God, did he have a bad game (which normally resulted in us imploding). But it's difficult to see us being able to bring in someone as good as an on-form Gregor Buchanan.

I'd guess he was one of our higher earners mind you, so it's not a total shock to see another of our marquee signings from 2021/22 moving on with Joe McKee already gone.

I know he was linked with Stenny on Facebook, which wouldn't shock me. But I could also see him at Stirling Albion if they were in the market for another centre-half. Good luck to him wherever he ends up; he was one of few guys to be a good player across two spells for us - even if he didn't quite hit the heights of the Championship years.

He stays in Falkirk so stenny would make sense if rumours are true

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This is beginning to unfold the way I thought it would.  Players who may have struggled to get a comparable gig have been quick to sign up, whilst others with more 'currency' have hedged their bets to seek a challenge elsewhere.  That's a fair bit of experience now out of the door and it will not be easily replaced, especially as we are not exactly an attractive proposition right now.

28 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Don't know if we are in the market for a centre half but imo we should be and buchanan would definitely fit the bill for me.

That's certainly a blow for you guys.

Buchy was undoubtedly one of our higher earners last season. There’s no guarantee we would be offering more/same to stay, can’t blame him and good luck to him. Hopefully he moved up a division as he is good enough and deserves it. Would be disappointed to see him rock up at stenny/Clyde etc

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Hopefully he moved up a division as he is good enough and deserves it. Would be disappointed to see him rock up at stenny/Clyde etc

Buchanan was mostly excellent last year but in that relegation season in League 1 he was absolutely gantin’ most weeks. I think this may be he his level these days.

7 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Was he not our top scorer (or thereabouts) from CB?

He was, aye. Albeit only with six (joint with Finlay Gray and Declan Byrne). Six goals is a good return for a centre-half mind you, most other teams would be delighted with that (and most other teams would have a striker on 15+!)