Sons' sorrow

On 17/05/2023 at 19:49, BallochSonsFan said:

By virtue of some woolly agreement to receive future considerations.

I see that Morehomes were due to pay us £300,000 in April. Maybe the club should call up the security that was granted in their favour

On 17/05/2023 at 15:50, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He’d be far better off acknowledging that the 2nd half of the season simply wasn’t anywhere near good

Only one team (Elgin) took fewer points than us in the second half of the season. I wonder if he knows this. Would like to see it put to him.

Edited by FifeSons

We didn't take a single point when going behind in the second half of the season (8 games, 0 points). That's pretty damning. We need to find another way to play or a plan B. With our style of play, if we go behind, its essentially game over*.

*I know we did come back a few times in the first half of the season, but that was before teams seemed to have sussed us out.

Edited by FifeSons

55 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Seeing Jordan Kirkpatrick sign for Stenny is making me absolutely jealous. He'll do well there

I’m not sure I’d be overly excited about that one personally. He’s been kicking about the West of Scotland league for about 3 or 4 seasons now and I’m not entirely sure how successful his last spell was in the SPFL.

I always thought he was technically a very good player for us so he may well be a success but who knows. He never looked the fittest and I’m not sure his time with Darvel will have helped in that regard.

After the 2013/14 season, where we finished fifth in the Championship and played some sensational stuff, I fully expected Jordan Kirkpatrick to go on to become an established full-time player. He really was excellent that year, and is probably overlooked in favour of guys like Andy Graham, Paul McGinn, Chris Turner and Garry Fleming when we think back to that campaign. But he was one of our standout players. He kept Scott Agnew out the team for large periods, and that's something nobody else could manage.

But after injury he never seemed to be able to recapture that form. In fact, other than a superb season at Alloa a few years later, his whole senior career has been a bit hit and miss. He didn't make any impact at St Mirren, didn't recapture his Alloa form from his first spell when he returned there and - iirc - was a big disappointment at Forfar. Add that to his two fairly underwhelming seasons with us in 14/15 and 15/16.

There's no doubting he's technically a superb player. But I'm not sure I'd have been bashing his door down to get him back. Especially after a few years pissing about at a level well beneath him.

Fair play to Gary Naysmith if he can get a tune out of him like Ian Murray and Jack Ross could. If he can do that then he'll have a hell of a player on his hands. But I'm not sure he'll manage.

I've been wondering who those 2 pre-contract signings are meant to be... has anyone even heard a rumour? I remember Sean Crighton getting mentioned not too long ago but nothing other than that.

Edited by DFCTTFM

8 minutes ago, DFCTTFM said:

I've been wondering who those 2 pre-contract signings are meant to be... has anyone even heard a rumour? I remember Sean Crighton getting mentioned not too long ago but nothing other than that.

Probably someone from Albion Rovers.

46 minutes ago, DFCTTFM said:

Jan's article suggests one is Pignatiello.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dumbarton-boss-stevie-farrell-says-30009687

4 hours ago, the snudge said:

Seeing Jordan Kirkpatrick sign for Stenny is making me absolutely jealous. He'll do well there

Yeah, if that's the kind of signings they are making I won't be too concerned about Stenny. He has bags of ability and technically very good but he kept ending up in the bottom 2 divisions throughout his career. Not sure if he just lost confidence, fitness/injuries being an issue or if his attitude wasn't the best. Possibly a combination of the three...

But he just was nowhere near consistent enough and everywhere he went he started well and faltered away to nothing.

14 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I'll be surprised if he returns.  He can probably expect about half a dozen clubs across Leagues One and Two to be interested in him, most of which will be offering him more.  Also, I believe Orsi is his cousin so maybe his decision could also be a factor.

7 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'll be surprised if he returns.  He can probably expect about half a dozen clubs across Leagues One and Two to be interested in him, most of which will be offering him more.  Also, I believe Orsi is his cousin so maybe his decision could also be a factor.

Was just going to say exactly this. I'd imagine a team like Stirling, Alloa or Kelty would be a much more appealing option and the likes of Carlo and Kalvin will both probably be seeking out a team like that in the next few weeks.

ETA: I wouldn't have been surprised if he had agreed to sign on the basis that we were playing in League 1 rather than League 2.

Edited by squeezebox-son

8 hours ago, the snudge said:

A few years ago I’d be raging to see him sign with our rivals. However he chased the money going do Darvel and now that projects gone tits up. he’s obviously not deemed ‘good enough’ for the Kennedy/ferry circus at EK so I don’t think we’ve missed one there.