Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Because he controls the club, and the signs have been there for all to see.  Why do you think that a Chairman, Company Secretary and two Associate Directors baled out ?  Why are there only three current Board members ?  Why did Henning Kristoffersen respond to almost all our questions with 'you'll need to ask X' ?  Why did the supporters have to provide funding to get two signings over the line ?  Why did £35K of sponsorship money never materialise ?

I could go on, but that's only the stuff that can be written here.

Does he own Cognitive Capital and therefore DFC legally?

18 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

He is banned from being a director so he shouldn't be owning or operating anythingScreenshot_20230422-104216.thumb.jpg.c68c76b1651f84b296375fa4544391e3.jpg

He's banned from being the director of a company. He isnt banned from owning shares in a company. He cannot have direct control by way of being a director, but as the majority shareholder he can exercise his voting rights.

Hosie owns and can vote on all things Cognitive Capital but can't be a director.

Cognitive currently has no directors, but if they reappoint somebody then ultimately they're still responsible to the shareholders. Which means Hosie.

Cognitive is the majority shareholder in Dumbarton, meaning Cognitive can vote on any matter they want if they went down the route of calling an EGM and it'll pass as they see fit.

All indirect influence rather than Hosie having any direct control himself. We need a strong DFC board who are willing to at least offer some resistance and try to stand up to the owner. Is Neil Mackay the person to do that?

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He's banned from being the director of a company. He isnt banned from owning shares in a company. He cannot have direct control by way of being a director, but as the majority shareholder he can exercise his voting rights.

Hosie owns and can vote on all things Cognitive Capital but can't be a director.

Cognitive currently has no directors, but if they reappoint somebody then ultimately they're still responsible to the shareholders. Which means Hosie.

Cognitive is the majority shareholder in Dumbarton, meaning Cognitive can vote on any matter they want if they went down the route of calling an EGM and it'll pass as they see fit.

All indirect influence rather than Hosie having any direct control himself. We need a strong DFC board who are willing to at least offer some resistance and try to stand up to the owner. Is Neil Mackay the person to do that?

I will happily admit I was wrong in my understanding of the shareholder/director part and their respective roles.  

Also on the last point it's fairly obviously a no there. Whichever new patsy gets brought in to front it all we shall see soon enough I'm sure.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Because he controls the club, and the signs have been there for all to see.  Why do you think that a Chairman, Company Secretary and two Associate Directors baled out ?  Why are there only three current Board members ?  Why did Henning Kristoffersen respond to almost all our questions with 'you'll need to ask X' ?  Why did the supporters have to provide funding to get two signings over the line ?  Why did £35K of sponsorship money never materialise ?

I could go on, but that's only the stuff that can be written here.

Sometimes you need to remember that you are closer to these goings on than most of the support and it’s certainly not as obvious why certain directors left etc. The average fan is not privvy to as much information as a couple posters on here.

Theres not much point in saying that it’s obvious and then saying you can’t post the reasons why.

My own crackpot Henning-badge on-the-trainers theory is that we should market the club at Cameron House to wealthy Americans. Get ourselves a Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney. I bet they’d absolutely love how picturesque the rock is and that they could buy the club for buttons.

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

My own crackpot Henning-badge on-the-trainers theory is that we should market the club at Cameron House to wealthy Americans. Get ourselves a Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney. I bet they’d absolutely love how picturesque the rock is and that they could buy the club for buttons.

Surely Dwayne Johnson must step up ?

10 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It’s worth saying again - the fact that the company with the majority shareholding in our football club has no current officers/directors with documents overdue is outrageous. It should not be allowed to remain active.

I’ll be registering another complaint with Companies House. 

8 hours ago, super-son said:

Sometimes you need to remember that you are closer to these goings on than most of the support and it’s certainly not as obvious why certain directors left etc. The average fan is not privvy to as much information as a couple posters on here.

Theres not much point in saying that it’s obvious and then saying you can’t post the reasons why.

That's fair comment and to be honest sometimes I wish I wasn't aware of the ownership issues at the club.  Most fans want simply to follow the team, and that's perfectly understandable, but everyone needs to realise that what happens on the pitch at DFC is very much influenced by what goes on off it.

As a Trust Board member I try to raise awareness on here and elsewhere but suffice to say there are invariably matters that can't properly be aired in public.

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That's fair comment and to be honest sometimes I wish I wasn't aware of the ownership issues at the club.  Most fans want simply to follow the team, and that's perfectly understandable, but everyone needs to realise that what happens on the pitch at DFC is very much influenced by what goes on off it.

As a Trust Board member I try to raise awareness on here and elsewhere but suffice to say there are invariably matters that can't properly be aired in public.

I'd echo those sentiments.

Life would be so much easier if all football fans had to worry about was what happened on the pitch. For many fans thats still the case. Unfortunately we're in an era where football clubs are often at the mercy of unscrupulous owners. The days of clubs being owned and run by local guys who had done well for themselves are a distant memory. If you're lucky then a few clubs are still owned by people with the club's best interests at heart. If you're unlucky? You get a series of shysters like Brabco and now Cognitive Capital.

Fans can't always know the minute detail of whats happening ,but folk can still be able to see a bigger picture. There are some things that the majority of the fan base can't know because of business confidentiality and the need to be able to form credible working relationships. There's also a  concern as to how the club engages with fans and to what extent the club board is visible, accessible and willing to communicate with fans. I think that as a trust we try our best to get as much information as possible out there in the public domain. Certainly enough for fans to get a pretty fair idea of whats happening. For some fans that's just never going to be information they're interested in. I can't criticise folk who just want to turn up at the game on a Saturday afternoon, enjoy themselves for a couple of hours and then head home.

For anybody who is interested in off the park issues then I'd say keep engaging. Read the trust communications. Chat with trust board members before games. Stick your concerns on here or get in touch via email or social media. Its important that folk keep engaging and keep an eye on the big picture. One of the important ways we can try to take things forward is by having an informed and engaged support who are aware of the realities of DFC and the massive challenges that the club have, and continue to face.

18 hours ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Heard a wee rumour today that apparently lynas has signed or ready to sign a 2 year deal 👀 hopefully it’s true 

That's it announced officially now

Great bit of business to get him signed up (despite giving away a penalty yesterday), been a solid player and would run through a brick wall if it benefited the team

Pleased with Lynas signing up. I do think a lot of fans overrate his actual ability because he’s a 110% type guy and he’s quite friendly with supporters but he’s definitely a solid enough option at this level and seems like a good guy to have around the dressing room. I’m not sure how he’d get on in the league above against better quality attackers if we manage to scrape through the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I'm hearing that Clyde won't be allowing Peter Grant to play for us in the play-offs.  Anyone confirm ??

I mean... I don't think McGeever played on Saturday (injured perhaps as not in the squad) but I did mention yesterday that we could at some point face Clyde and both be left without a CB who had been pretty every present recently.

ETA: Looks like McGeever has been out since 1st April with an injury.

Edited by squeezebox-son

We probably wouldn't be able to field Grant against Clyde. The best result would therefore be Clyde falling at the semi final stage and removing that as a problem.

Would they play Annan at that stage? If they've got defensive issues themselves then Tommy Goss could give them plenty to worry about.

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We probably wouldn't be able to field Grant against Clyde. The best result would therefore be Clyde falling at the semi final stage and removing that as a problem.

Would they play Annan at that stage? If they've got defensive issues themselves then Tommy Goss could give them plenty to worry about.

Loan players can't play against their parent club. I think the problem could be that Clyde don't want Grant to play in the play offs regardless of the opposition.

Clyde will play the fourth placed L2 team in the semi final which is currently East Fife but that could obviously change.