Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

That's a weird comment he's made. This isn't the time to be trying to drive a wedge to fans he thinks have doubts. He needs to stop reading social media posts and do his talking through his team.

Totally agree.

Rocking from side to side throughout that soundbite and he was very agitated looking.

The fans gave his side decent backing today on the back of a 5-1 pumping last week.

On 18/03/2023 at 22:52, microdave said:

Too many people losing  it today. It was a disastrous performance but we're still top of the league. In March. We're in a great position and you can't fluke that at this point of the season and I'm sure we'll get a reaction from the players. They won't need anyone to tell them they were poor today. Onwards!

Last Saturday I said we'd get a reaction from the players and it seems we got it. I've no idea why Faz is going down this route unless it's a siege mentality thing against our own support.

5 minutes ago, microdave said:

Last Saturday I said we'd get a reaction from the players and it seems we got it. I've no idea why Faz is going down this route unless it's a siege mentality thing against our own support.

Just said the same on the match thread. If he's going for a "prove the fans wrong" message to the players then he's way off base.

He should’ve been thanking the fans for travelling in numbers and spending their hard earned cash backing him and his team, after a complete embarassment of a result last week, instead of taking cheap digs at them. I absolutely hate that pish he comes out with when you have some folk in our support who haven’t missed a game all season. He should seriously do himself a favour and stop reading stuff on social media or getting his staff to tell him what’s being posted on that daft Facebook group. 

He's a thin skinned loser. We didn't get a result yesterday, a draw far suits Stirling more than us, we needed 3 points to put pressure on. Maybe if the team believe we can win games we should stop scoring a goal then playing as if we're up against tiki-taka Barca and try to put ganes beyond teams we believe we are better than.

It’s been one of the bigger concerns throughout Farrell’s tenure (and in fairness the complete opposite of Jim Duffy) that he seems to place far too much importance on what’s being said by fans on here and across wider social media. The truth of the matter is that our Home support have been pretty patient over the last few years and have preferred disgruntled silence over vocal fury. And the Away support have been almost exclusively supportive. All in all a much kinder fan group than he might experience elsewhere. 

So he really needs to pipe the f**k down, grow a thicker skin and get on with it. 

Oh Faz, what are you on about. Plenty travelled yesterday and believed we could get a result. Plenty made a considerable journey to be there, too.

Wonder if he’s going by the one or two weirdos who had their fingers poised above their keyboards for the second Stirling overtook us.

On the whole the majority of posters on here are level headed and any criticism tends to be constructive so I assume he’s tarring the entire support with the same brush because of a handful of loonys that post on the Facebook group which is piss poor IMO. Christ, we have an element of our support who would still back him to the hilt regardless of results or performances as they have done with previous managers and players. 

Either way, anyone with half a brain would’ve been looking at yesterday’s game with a bit of trepidation given we had just come off the back of an absolute hiding from the team at the bottom and our last visit to Forthbank resulted in an embarassing pumping. 

I didn’t make the game today but from what I have read and heard from others, considering the result last week and the ref seemed to want to ruin it for everyone.

Shots fired from the manager, although I would have thought we had more than 20 in our dressing so it would suggest some also didn’t think we would get a result ( That’s a jokes stevie). 

We had a pop at him last week so he can have a pop this week. Probs not right but end of the day, results will do the talking. Not the rubbish spouted after a game.

I have a slightly different take on the interview.  For a start I don't think he actually references the supporters, he talked in general terms about pre-match expectations.  I'll freely admit that after last week my confidence levels were low but I was also hopeful we would see a reaction, and if we did then we had a chance of getting a result, and that's exactly what happened.

Faz was also entitled to compare the injury situation between the teams, but rather than descend into negativity he could have highlighted the massive difference that the returning Gregor Buchanan and Martin McNiff made, as well as outstanding shifts by Peter Grant and Findlay Gray.  That's just this fan's view.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I have a slightly different take on the interview.  For a start I don't think he actually references the supporters, he talked in general terms about pre-match expectations. 

He referenced anyone involved with the club that wasn't in the dressing room, so he's either taking a pop at the board or he's taking a pop at the fans. If he's not taking a pop at either then it was a very poor choice of words. 

I think Farrell was clumsy rather than having a deliberate pop at the fans. He didnt specifically mention anybody and if you were to ask other teams or their fans then most would have looked at our recent patchy form and our painful defeat at home to the 9th placed team and would have backed against us getting anything from the game. Fans travelled in hope rather than expectation. How many people looking at that game yesterday would have thought that we were getting something from the match? We might have hoped that we would, but thats not really an objective view of our chances at 2:59 yesterday afternoon. Hoping we get a result is different to expecting one. Personally I felt that we needed at least a draw in the away game and to win the home match. Even then we're relying on getting results against Forfar, Stenny and Annan. We got our draw in difficult circumstances, so we're very much still in a realistic title fight. 

Criticism of Farrell not highlighting the positives is very fair. I thought we had a few very good performances. Grant and Buchanan were solid enough. McNiff was better defensively than Wylde had been. I thought Ross McLean looked good leading the line. Finlay Gray was full of energy and did a power of work. All things that Farrell could justifiably praise. The interview was just a bit too negative and a bit too defensive. 

As an outsider, what seems strange to me is Dumbarton clearly have a large group of pretty fair-minded fans on here. I guess though the noisy, toxic element on your Facebook page are the ones that draw attention, giving a completely skewed view of the fanbase. 

Every fanbase has its seething messes of course. Usually guys in their mid 50s coming to terms with erection difficulties and taking out their anger on their football team. 

25 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

As an outsider, what seems strange to me is Dumbarton clearly have a large group of pretty fair-minded fans on here. I guess though the noisy, toxic element on your Facebook page are the ones that draw attention, giving a completely skewed view of the fanbase. 

Every fanbase has its seething messes of course. Usually guys in their mid 50s coming to terms with erection difficulties and taking out their anger on their football team. 

Good theory. They wake up in the morning, look hopefully under the duvet and think oh bollocks, I'm going to make someone pay for this today.

A reminder to all Sonstrust members and potential members that the AGM will take place on Wednesday 5th April at 7.00pm in the Bar 72 Community Suite at the stadium.

There are a number of important issues to be discussed including the club ownership situation and the general direction of travel, as well as a renewed threat of 'B' teams encroaching further on the Scottish League.  There will also be nominations for various Trust roles.

This is the chance for everyone to have their say and to help form Trust policy for the times ahead, and as such we hope for a healthy attendance.  

A reminder that it would assist if members can bring their membership cards.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He referenced anyone involved with the club that wasn't in the dressing room, so he's either taking a pop at the board or he's taking a pop at the fans. If he's not taking a pop at either then it was a very poor choice of words. 

It probably was, yes, but a post-match interview after a tense game is always liable to overdo the emotion, and I would point out that at full-time he came across and applauded the Sons support.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It probably was, yes, but a post-match interview after a tense game is always liable to overdo the emotion, and I would point out that at full-time he came across and applauded the Sons support.

It was also a brilliant touch by the players applauding the fans after their warm up and getting a very warm reception in return. 

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Oh Faz, what are you on about. Plenty travelled yesterday and believed we could get a result. Plenty made a considerable journey to be there, too.

Wonder if he’s going by the one or two weirdos who had their fingers poised above their keyboards for the second Stirling overtook us.

Gio Marron