Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, microdave said:

I've managed to listen up to the point where Chappie took over and hopefully I'll manage the rest this evening. 

As a result of Jan outing himself as a Sun reader, I've amended Finlay Gray's date of birth on the Sons Archive.

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

To think, I thought Jan seemed alright.

That's my reputation down the gutter for good now. Can't believe I spoke those words out loud.

3 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Want a laugh?  I can't even go to the game, because money is just too bloody tight till next pension day.

Sadly this is all too common these days. I’d happily make sure you don’t miss out. Check your PMs

That is the best podcast we've had so far. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and probably will again at some point. I think there's an argument to be made that Jim Chapman is the most important manager we've had this century. We were going nowhere until he was appointed and set us off on the road to the championship.

Five years ago tonight, we were trying to work out what flight one of our players was on to get back to Scotland from playing a full international to play in a cup final for us. Without Jim Chapman's vision, I don't think that would've happened.

5 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Sadly this is all too common these days. I’d happily make sure you don’t miss out. Check your PMs

You and FifeSons both. Can't take either of you up on your wonderful kindness, but it's highly appreciated. Now stop it, before you make me cry before your team does.

10 hours ago, microdave said:

That is the best podcast we've had so far. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it and probably will again at some point. I think there's an argument to be made that Jim Chapman is the most important manager we've had this century. We were going nowhere until he was appointed and set us off on the road to the championship.

Five years ago tonight, we were trying to work out what flight one of our players was on to get back to Scotland from playing a full international to play in a cup final for us. Without Jim Chapman's vision, I don't think that would've happened.

I take nothing away from Chappie but I think we also owe a huge debt to Ian Murray.  Whilst I was annoyed at the manner of his departure, his time here hugely lifted the profile and levels of professionalism of the club.  The Board at that time also deserves credit.

The biggest sadness over Jim Chapman was the loss of his playing career.  He was a smashing midfielder and I was at Gayfield on the day that he limped off with what we thought was a routine injury.  Sadly, and especially for him, it turned out to be anything but.

6 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

You and FifeSons both. Can't take either of you up on your wonderful kindness, but it's highly appreciated. Now stop it, before you make me cry before your team does.

I'm willing to split it 3 ways with @pleslie99 & @FifeSons, so a little kindness will cost us all next to nothing. Just take us up on it, and go and enjoy the game.

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I take nothing away from Chappie but I think we also owe a huge debt to Ian Murray.  Whilst I was annoyed at the manner of his departure, his time here hugely lifted the profile and levels of professionalism of the club.  The Board at that time also deserves credit.

The biggest sadness over Jim Chapman was the loss of his playing career.  He was a smashing midfielder and I was at Gayfield on the day that he limped off with what we thought was a routine injury.  Sadly, and especially for him, it turned out to be anything but.

Memories are funny things, I was sure it was Boghead, I can still see it from under the shed at Silverton end. Not being pedantic for you, just highlighting how funny human memories can be.  I also remember the day the promising young LB Billy something got his leg broken, it happened right in front of the dugouts, and you heard the snap from under the Turnberry.*

*Or maybe you didn't.

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'm willing to split it 3 ways with @pleslie99 & @FifeSons, so a little kindness will cost us all next to nothing. Just take us up on it, and go and enjoy the game.

Memories are funny things, I was sure it was Boghead, I can still see it from under the shed at Silverton end. Not being pedantic for you, just highlighting how funny human memories can be.  I also remember the day the promising young LB Billy something got his leg broken, it happened right in front of the dugouts, and you heard the snap from under the Turnberry.*

*Or maybe you didn't.

Billy Traynor.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I carefully worded that Chapman is the most important managerial appointment we've made as I think Murray is the best one we've had since Billy Lamont.

5 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

What I really need is self discipline at the supermarket. I need to address my own problem, not let kind people make it theirs.  It's a big match but not the final word.  I could just borrow a tenner and be there if I wasn't a stubborn old b*****d, but that doesn't solve the basic problem.

There's a positive side to it anyway. It was so cold at the Albion Rovers game, my plums retreated further than Napoleon did from Moscow. A cosy Saturday in the hoose is more like an escape than a trial after that.

Thanks to you too though. What fine human beings you have at the rock.  Plus, Dumbarton fan banter is  top of the league viewing.

4 hours ago, microdave said:

Billy Traynor.

Definitely Gayfield.Happened inside the Arbroath box.He seemed to kick the ground and not the ball.I can still hear his cry of 'AH..SHITE'.Realised it was a sore one.

I met him some years ago by chance at Edinburgh airport and he immedieately rattled of the date that it  happened.Obviously a tipping point in his life.

27 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

You obviously don't have Facebook 🤣

I absolutely don't mate and I'm not going to either.  I'm told some of our lot on there suggest evolution has some power lifting  to do in Stirling yet.

6 hours ago, microdave said:

Billy Traynor.

Aye, Billy Traynor, that was a horrific incident.  IIRC it was a home game with Forfar, and with the match hardly started there was a wholly accidental tackle in front of the away dugout which effectively ended the promising-looking career of a young player.

As Ranter says no-one in the ground that day would forget the anguished sounds which rang around Boghead.  The game eventually carried on but I'm thinking that it was a tame draw as no-one had much heart for it after that.  Yer man will put us right @microdave

56 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, Billy Traynor, that was a horrific incident.  IIRC it was a home game with Forfar, and with the match hardly started there was a wholly accidental tackle in front of the away dugout which effectively ended the promising-looking career of a young player.

As Ranter says no-one in the ground that day would forget the anguished sounds which rang around Boghead.  The game eventually carried on but I'm thinking that it was a tame draw as no-one had much heart for it after that.  Yer man will put us right @microdave

It was a 1-0 defeat. https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3167

A quite bizarre post-match interview with Farrell today on the DTV youTube.

"Only 20 people in that dressing room believed we could get a result here" or words to that effect.

Well Stevie nearly 300 fans travelled and made noise backing your team today, believing we could get a result.

What a weird fucker Farrell is 

23 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

A quite bizarre post-match interview with Farrell today on the DTV youTube.

"Only 20 people in that dressing room believed we could get a result here" or words to that effect.

Well Stevie nearly 300 fans travelled and made noise backing your team today, believing we could get a result.

What a weird fucker Farrell is 

That's a weird comment he's made. This isn't the time to be trying to drive a wedge to fans he thinks have doubts. He needs to stop reading social media posts and do his talking through his team.