Sons' sorrow

The post match interviews...

Mclean saying about the nick of the pitch.  We really need to get rangers out and get a decent/more local groundsman in.  The nick of the pitch could genuinely put players off signing for us in the future.  Lot of Darvel players mention their pitch....

Farrell is lying when he says he didn't know fans want two strikers.  Body language makes that obvious.

17 hours ago, Victor mcdade said:

The post match interviews...

Mclean saying about the nick of the pitch.  We really need to get rangers out and get a decent/more local groundsman in.  The nick of the pitch could genuinely put players off signing for us in the future.  Lot of Darvel players mention their pitch....

Farrell is lying when he says he didn't know fans want two strikers.  Body language makes that obvious.

A fair few players have mentioned it recently too. In a world where we can't offer great money I can imagine it might deter some players from signing for us/signing new deals too. It's virtually impossible to play any football on and I genuinely think if you offered most of the squad the chance to play the remaining games on an astro like Hamilton, Broadwood, Stenny or whatever, but give up home advantage they'd take it.

It's not often we have a team that I'd back to play another side off the park football wise. Quite often a dodgy pitch would suit us to drag teams into a scrap. But that's the opposite of the case this season. With five home games between now and March 18, a lottery of a pitch could make our task a lot harder.

The fact our board continued with the Rangers arrangement after last season’s utter shambles is ridiculous tbh. The fact Rangers actually want their delicate little petals playing on that surface is mind blowing considering what they can afford to provide facilities wise and the numerous other options there must be for them. 

Short term it’s bringing in extra dough but it’s going to end up costing us a fortune to sort it in the long term and it’s another show of incompetence from this board.

Yeah, the first thing I said before the match on Saturday when I got to my seat was that our pitch is an absolute disgrace and in the next couple of months it's only going to get worse.

Then we have the likes of Saturday when the pitch tackled Kalvin Orsi. He didn't try to run with the ball much and I think that had something to do with it. Such a shame if we are essentially handicapping ourselves.

Did anyone confirm D Wilson's injury after the match? I'd hate to think we have picked up an injury to an in form player because of our own shambles of a pitch.

On 13/02/2023 at 13:11, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The fact our board continued with the Rangers arrangement after last season’s utter shambles is ridiculous tbh. The fact Rangers actually want their delicate little petals playing on that surface is mind blowing considering what they can afford to provide facilities wise and the numerous other options there must be for them. 

Short term it’s bringing in extra dough but it’s going to end up costing us a fortune to sort it in the long term and it’s another show of incompetence from this board.

I suspect (but don’t know) that we’ll have a season long contract with The Rangers so would be difficult to cancel the arrangement ourselves unless they agreed to do so, and I’m surprised they haven’t already for the same reason you mention. Can’t have their wee flowers getting hurt on our tattie field. I’d be interested to see what the actual net return is for the arrangement given the obvious ongoing maintenance issues and longer term repair costs. All of which ignores the other ridiculous issue or having two sidelines. Looks awful, amateurish. I’m also certain one of the Annan boys took his throw from the outer line in Saturday.

Anyway, big game for us tonight with the Rose hosting Stirling. Any dropped points would do nicely.

On 13/02/2023 at 12:54, George Parr said:

So 14 points clear of 3rd placed Annan and two games in hand (both at Home). Pretty good going for mid-February. Anything less than a second placed finish now would be disastrous.

It would. Problem is that second isn't really any better than fourth even if we end up twenty points ahead of fourth place. Indeed it might be worse as fourth will get to play Clyde or Peterhead which will likely be an easier game than playing third place.

Edited by Nowhereman

7 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

It would. Problem is that second isn't really any better than fourth even if we end up twenty points ahead of fourth place. Indeed it might be worse as fourth will get to play Clyde or Peterhead which will likely be an easier game than playing third place.

I can relate to this view. 2nd place means you have to knock out  the best of the rest first before taking on Clyde, or somebody on a high after taking them out. The only real certainty for promotion is finishing first.

The last time the Binos went up they did it from 3rd place.  Then came straight back down again with pretty much the same crap defence that conceded 54 goals on it's way up. Even a happy ending doesn't always have a happy ending.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think we send those highlights to them and they are filmed on our shitey pixellot system.

This is correct.

I just about launched the iPad we watch the replays on down five rows of the stand when I saw the Pixellot had gone for a look at something else for the winning goal. Heap of garbage that it is.

21 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This is correct.

I just about launched the iPad we watch the replays on down five rows of the stand when I saw the Pixellot had gone for a look at something else for the winning goal. Heap of garbage that it is.

Didn't they release an override of sorts for this kind of thing? Or is it not an instant thing and is only really useful if the system gets stuck or something?

I appreciate that we couldn't just have someone controlling it all the time unless someone volunteers to basically come to the match and not watch it. But, although it served a purpose through lockdowns etc, the system isn't very good.

2 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Didn't they release an override of sorts for this kind of thing? Or is it not an instant thing and is only really useful if the system gets stuck or something?

I appreciate that we couldn't just have someone controlling it all the time unless someone volunteers to basically come to the match and not watch it. But, although it served a purpose through lockdowns etc, the system isn't very good.

I think there might've been a joystick sort of thing for it, but I've got no idea how it works or if we'd have the manpower to work it. 

As you say, it did a job in the chaotic circumstances of Covid. But longer-term it's more hassle than it's worth imo. I've no idea if it's a lack of maintenance from Pixellot or what, but it feels like it's getting worse week on week.