Sons' sorrow

A contract to 2025 on the back of less than 20 decent performances seems a bit gung-ho to me!

I understand consistency in the management team and players is a great thing but I’m not sure that contract has been earned yet.

We should be waiting until at least Mid March where we have a better idea of what the final placing are going to look like before even talking about extending Stevies contract IMO.

Just now, super-son said:

A contract to 2025 on the back of less than 20 decent performances seems a bit gung-ho to me!

I understand consistency in the management team and players is a great thing but I’m not sure that contract has been earned yet.

We should be waiting until at least Mid March where we have a better idea of what the final placing are going to look like before even talking about extending Stevies contract IMO.

Same from me ^ - especially on the consistency part, look what it done for Arbroath.

If anything, does this now put more pressure on the club to win the league/get us promoted?  If we mess this up badly, fans will be quite right to be ripping into this contract extension.

1 minute ago, super-son said:

Promotion or nothing for me personally. Anything other than promotion is a failure IMHO, that’s the only way he rectifies last season’s mess.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If we finish 5th, or even 4th, that will confirm our board are absolute balloons and have prematurely rewarded a guy for two complete failures of a season. I just don’t understand why we’ve rushed into this at all.

I think they’ve confirmed that already unfortunately. Even if we do win the league and it’s still a very big if… there is no way the board can predict that and have already prematurely awarded half a good season.

Rightly or wrongly it will also remove a bit of pressure off of the management team at the end of the season knowing they have a contract regardless of promotion or not. Some may see that as a positive thing though.

The club really need to work on their decision making.

Just as things are going quite nicely on the pitch, they start throwing contracts about Willy Nilly. Happened last year with Callum Wilson too!

And maybe less importantly updating the club website to an unusable mess.

If thing are going well, enjoy them and let the club sit and take some time with the decisions ffs.

33 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

An absolutely wild move from the board. No one is going to try and bump him and if they did he’s more than replaceable. A deal until 2025 is excessive and I truly hope that doesn’t mean we are lumped with him if it goes tits up. 

This season has been good, albeit we are mostly scraping our way to victories, but last season is very, very fresh in the memory and despite the good start there is a long way to go this season.

It means that it's more expensive to sack him if we decided to. We offered him the contract. He signed it. Unless we're dismissing him for gross misconduct then if the club want to sack Farrell at any point then we need to pay the appropriate compo.

I'm not against him getting an extended deal if we maintain this towards the business end of the season. My reservation is that no prizes are given out in January and it's not that long since he was an abject failure during our relegation season. I'm not 100% in favour of him getting a new contract right now.

To say this is a hugely surprising announcement is an understatement, and I frankly wonder from where it has originated.  I'm struggling to imagine that it is solely the work of the current three-person club Board.

The website notice reads like something composed by a PR company on behalf a corporate client, but aside from that the overriding questions are firstly why, and secondly why now ?

As others have suggested there is much unfinished business this season, and whilst we all hope we win the title there is absolutely no guarantee of that.  If we don't however, today's announcement effectively removes the prospect of any assessment of the situation.

Absolutely no disrespect to the current team management but I just can't get my head around this.

Yeah the timing of this is pretty bizarre. Premature doesn't even cover it... and that doesn't even go into the fact that it's a 2 year extension!! I'd say it borders on idiocy to have handed that deal out at this time.

Let's face the facts, there's a far greater chance of us having to sack Faz before the summer of '25 than another team coming and poaching him. Should we want to get him out of his contract at any time in the next couple of years, we are now pretty much trapped. Just like we were in the summer.

My feeling is that the players need to be motivated to keep standards high toward the end of the season.  Players work for cash, bot the badge or the fans.

So,the players need to be weighed in too to some extent.  If they have promotion or win clauses then great.

The article reads fairly poorly as well. Talking as if we've already got promotion bagged and can start building our League 1 side. An entirely unnecessary piece of business. I hope it works out because the board can't hide behind the "we can't afford to sack him" excuse if it goes tits up.

I’m not against Faz being our gaffer until 2025, I think continuity and forward planning comes in handy at our level (when done right).

What I don’t get is the boards need to tie him down to a fairly lengthy deal for League 2 (or even League 1). It just doesn’t seem necessary to dish out this extension, no one’s sniffing around to take Faz off our hands - why not agree on a yearly rolling contract and let everyone know the intentions are to keep Faz and his team for years to come? Surely that’s the business savvy thing to do here or am I being pie in the sky?

42 minutes ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

I’m not against Faz being our gaffer until 2025, I think continuity and forward planning comes in handy at our level (when done right).

What I don’t get is the boards need to tie him down to a fairly lengthy deal for League 2 (or even League 1). It just doesn’t seem necessary to dish out this extension, no one’s sniffing around to take Faz off our hands - why not agree on a yearly rolling contract and let everyone know the intentions are to keep Faz and his team for years to come? Surely that’s the business savvy thing to do here or am I being pie in the sky?

I'm sure there's more to come out on this, never mind the timing, it's such a curious decision for a club at our level.

Maybe we're all playing checkers and the club are playing chess here, but yeah this seems an odd announcement to make and I'm not sure why it was done now. 

I would've hoped that the priority over this month was to make sure we have the best squad at our disposal to make sure we get promoted. 

All Farrell's interviews are pretty much about the next game and that's it, one at a time and all that kind of thing. Now we get a statement today saying about getting prepared early for next year, it's just a very confusing message overall between different parties. 

If, and that's if not when, we get promoted then obviously that's a great achievement and rightly praise should be given. We have had a great start to the year, could it be better? Yes. Could it be a hell of a lot worse? Also yes. I just hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves here is basically my main concern about it all.