Sons' sorrow

49 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Seems a bit off that a different refereeing system is being used for some matches but not others in the same cup competition. Should be all or nothing - and in this case it shouldn't be featured in any of the ties. 

10 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Totally agree, and I'm sure they have the same discrepancy in the FA Cup.

Never understood this attitude at all. It's basically the same as saying we shouldn't use CCTV evidence of a crime in the street because not all streets have CCTV. Or the 4th official shouldn't be allowed to take part in a game unless there's a 4th official at all games. It's basically nonsense. Use the resources available to deal with the events on the pitch as well as possible. Not all grounds are the same so there are discrepancies at every tie. Some have stands right on top of pitches, some have a running track round the pitch. Some are big enough to allow big away supports, some aren't. Some are 3G pitches, some aren''t.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Never understood this attitude at all. It's basically the same as saying we shouldn't use CCTV evidence of a crime in the street because not all streets have CCTV. Or the 4th official shouldn't be allowed to take part in a game unless there's a 4th official at all games. It's basically nonsense. Use the resources available to deal with the events on the pitch as well as possible. Not all grounds are the same so there are discrepancies at every tie. Some have stands right on top of pitches, some have a running track round the pitch. Some are big enough to allow big away supports, some aren't. Some are 3G pitches, some aren''t.

And some folk waste too much time trying to be contrarian for the sake of it.  There is no equivalence in any of the above with George's original posting. CCTV in the street - really?  All that's being suggested is universal rules application across all the fixtures in a cup competition.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Never understood this attitude at all. It's basically the same as saying we shouldn't use CCTV evidence of a crime in the street because not all streets have CCTV. 

Congratulations. This might just be one of the most hilarious takes I've encountered in nearly 2 decades of fannying about on this forum 😂

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Never understood this attitude at all. It's basically the same as saying we shouldn't use CCTV evidence of a crime in the street because not all streets have CCTV. 

Well, if stealing stuff was a sport and you got landed with the street with CCTV and someone else didn't, you'd feel a bit aggrieved.

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

He was red-carded tonight, does that mean he's suspended on Saturday ?

I could be wrong but I think it only applies cross-competition of it's a straight red and maybe even only for violent conduct. Sky sports app says it was a second yellow so it'll be their next league match he misses.

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And some folk waste too much time trying to be contrarian for the sake of it.  There is no equivalence in any of the above with George's original posting. CCTV in the street - really?  All that's being suggested is universal rules application across all the fixtures in a cup competition.

And I'm pretty confident you'll find the rules in operation are the same whether VAR is there or not.

It's utter codswallop to suggest it shouldn't be used when available because they don't have it at Darvel FFS.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And I'm pretty confident you'll find the rules in operation are the same whether VAR is there or not.

It's utter codswallop to suggest it shouldn't be used when available because they don't have it at Darvel FFS.

Being lectured by a poster whose team is no longer even IN this season's Scottish Cup.  Enjoy your free Saturday at M & S.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Being lectured by a poster whose team is no longer even IN this season's Scottish Cup.  Enjoy your free Saturday at M & S.

Dear oh dear. What age ARE you? Acting like you're 6 because someone had the temerity to disagree with you on a football forum. 😆

Official site confirming that Faz, Frank and Eric Philips have extended their contracts.

There was a lot of very justified anger that Farrell kept his job after we were relegated. It's arguable that the club didn't decide to keep him for entirely football reasons only. Given how we've performed so far in League Two, how do folk feel about him getting an extension? Is it too soon to forgive the relegation season and to reward our so far excellent league position? Or have Farrell and his management team done enough to justify the faith shown by offering extended contracts?

I'm a bit torn on this one. We can only judge Farrell on results and so far this season he's doing a very good job. The season isnt over though, and if we end up missing out on promotion then has he still done a good job? I'm not against him getting  a new contract at all. I think we might be a little bit early in doing the deal, but the counter argument could be that if he gets us promoted as league winners then he'd be a prime candidate to get a job at another club. If that happens then at least we get compensation if we have him tied to a contract.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

So Stevie Farrell and his rag tag bunch of coaching outlaws have just signed new deals until 2025. Wow.

There might be a bit of positivity around the club just now but what the absolute f**k are our board smoking? 

You can make a case for or against it.

I'd probably have waiting until the 3rd round of league fixtures had been concluded, but this season has been completely different to last year. It could still go tits up and we could end up mid table. I don't think we need to worry about going down to the Lowland League. Does that change the decision if we hit a run of injuries and bad form and end up finishing 5th?

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

Official site confirming that Faz, Frank and Eric Philips have extended their contracts.

There was a lot of very justified anger that Farrell kept his job after we were relegated. It's arguable that the club didn't decide to keep him for entirely football reasons only. Given how we've performed so far in League Two, how do folk feel about him getting an extension? Is it too soon to forgive the relegation season and to reward our so far excellent league position? Or have Farrell and his management team done enough to justify the faith shown by offering extended contracts?

I'm a bit torn on this one. We can only judge Farrell on results and so far this season he's doing a very good job. The season isnt over though, and if we end up missing out on promotion then has he still done a good job? I'm not against him getting  a new contract at all. I think we might be a little bit early in doing the deal, but the counter argument could be that if he gets us promoted as league winners then he'd be a prime candidate to get a job at another club. If that happens then at least we get compensation if we have him tied to a contract.

An absolutely wild move from the board. No one is going to try and bump him and if they did he’s more than replaceable. A deal until 2025 is excessive and I truly hope that doesn’t mean we are lumped with him if it goes tits up. 

This season has been good, albeit we are mostly scraping our way to victories, but last season is very, very fresh in the memory and despite the good start there is a long way to go this season.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

You can make a case for or against it.

I'd probably have waiting until the 3rd round of league fixtures had been concluded, but this season has been completely different to last year. It could still go tits up and we could end up mid table. I don't think we need to worry about going down to the Lowland League. Does that change the decision if we hit a run of injuries and bad form and end up finishing 5th?

If we finish 5th, or even 4th, that will confirm our board are absolute balloons and have prematurely rewarded a guy for two complete failures of a season. I just don’t understand why we’ve rushed into this at all.