Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Confirmed that Garrity has returned to us.

Correct decision to not try and extend his loan. He wasn’t given a great deal of game time but when he was I thought he looked fairly rubbish. I suppose it’s hard to show any sort of form when you are only getting cameo appearances but he made pretty much zero impact from the bench and often left the full back badly exposed. He arrived with with a decent report card from the Annan fans but he really failed to back it up - I think his feet work quicker than his brain.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Confirmed that Garrity has returned to us.

It's a shame it didn't work out for Garrity. But he really was nowhere near starting for us, and it was a bit of a waste of his time sitting on our bench rather than Morton's.

He showed flashes of being a good player, but he just wasn't really cut-out for the way we play - which relies on wingers doing a power of defensive work. The fact he's been kept out the team by (amongst others) a couple of Morton off-cuts in Kalvin Orsi and Ross MacLean probably doesn't bode too well. But in the right team he'd be a good asset at this level I'm sure.

He's played for Morton this season and now us; so he can't play for a third team, can he? Or has that rule been relaxed.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

When I was down at the game I said to my mates the crowd looked a good bit smaller than I expected. I suppose a Christmas eve early kick off is always going to be a tough sell despite the occassion. 

I think last week confirmed that we are now down to a very small support base, not helped by being in League Two.  But the date certainly didn't help.

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think last week confirmed that we are now down to a very small support base, not helped by being in League Two.  But the date certainly didn't help.

To be fair, our support is actually (gradually) back on the rise as far as I can see. It's the whole, put a winning team on the park and they will come adage I think. I was looking through my notes from this time last year, and we had about 400 at a home Saturday afternoon game with Montrose, then just over 300 for a Saturday game with Peterhead.

I think Covid, a poor team and the cost of living crisis all combined at the worst possible time for clubs like ourselves (and East Fife) but seem to be showing some green shoots. 

screenshot-www.footballwebpages_co.uk-2022_12.30-18_21_35.thumb.png.07b84d33b6967055bd9de7ad0e0d0fb5.png

Edit: Ignore the League One stuff. I selected the wrong table :lol:

Edited by Jan Vojáček

I certainly thought that was the busiest the home section had been all season. I'd expected the crowd to have nudged to close to 1,000 at the time. 

However, it's also dependent on away support which we don't really see. This tweet shows a pretty sparse EF following. 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

To be fair, our support is actually (gradually) back on the rise as far as I can see. It's the whole, put a winning team on the park and they will come adage I think. I was looking through my notes from this time last year, and we had about 400 at a home Saturday afternoon game with Montrose, then just over 300 for a Saturday game with Peterhead.

I think Covid, a poor team and the cost of living crisis all combined at the worst possible time for clubs like ourselves (and East Fife) but seem to be showing some green shoots. 

screenshot-www.footballwebpages_co.uk-2022_12.30-18_21_35.thumb.png.07b84d33b6967055bd9de7ad0e0d0fb5.png

Edit: Ignore the League One stuff. I selected the wrong table :lol:

Well yes and no.  We have shown some improvement but nothing too remarkable considering we've led the division since day one.  However, as you mention, many folk are really struggling right now and we can't ignore that.

On the plus side I think the club has really stepped up this season in terms of supporter engagement and what support we have is fiercely loyal.  If we could overcome Rovers tomorrow I would hope that the Binos game could see a decent turnout. 

Since the 2014-15 season we've finished with more than 40 points once. We're now at the halfway point and we have reached that marker. 

Despite a minging first half of 2022, it's good to end the year on a high and hopefully we can keep that going into 2023 and beyond. We're not perfect by any means but we're getting there. The squad we have while a bit thin seems to have really bonded well and you see guys like Wilson or Wylde basically out in the cold, come into the team and do a job. 

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

Since the 2014-15 season we've finished with more than 40 points once. We're now at the halfway point and we have reached that marker. 

Despite a minging first half of 2022, it's good to end the year on a high and hopefully we can keep that going into 2023 and beyond. We're not perfect by any means but we're getting there. The squad we have while a bit thin seems to have really bonded well and you see guys like Wilson or Wylde basically out in the cold, come into the team and do a job. 

Since three points for a win was introduced in 1994/95, our previous best at this point of the season was 32 in 2006/07. 

On 12/08/2022 at 11:58, BallochSonsFan said:

If we were going for a last minute signing from a team near Falkirk then I'd go Joe Bevan from Camelon. Supposedly a stand out in a dodgy team and still only 18. I know a manager in the west of scotland league who reckons he'll be playing senior football next season.

Turns out he will be playing senior football in January, Signed for Albion Rovers

On 30/12/2022 at 20:36, PWL said:

I certainly thought that was the busiest the home section had been all season. I'd expected the crowd to have nudged to close to 1,000 at the time. 

However, it's also dependent on away support which we don't really see. This tweet shows a pretty sparse EF following. 

That's the worst 'elf on the shelf' picture this Xmas.