Sons' sorrow

I think a 7.45pm Saturday night kick off sounds like a potentially decent night out. It’s frustrating for folk who can’t attend but I’m not sure I get the outrage around it. There’s probably more folk who wouldn’t be able to make a 3pm kick off due to work etc than one at 7.45pm.

2 hours ago, TamCarson said:

I'm not against Clyde playing " at home " but it's the whole set up of the situation. What if the Hamilton game goes to penalties, it's that short turn around for staff at Hamilton and players from Dumbarton and Clyde, not to mention the four sets of supporters being around the same area at the same time. It's a farce and it's not the first time a team has been forced to play at a neutral venue.

It's far from a farce. It's not even that far a trek, ok maybe if we were away up to Cove or wick for a 745pm then maybe there would be a small case. It's a minor inconvenience for a small number of people. Can't just force a club to up sticks and move just because a couple folk on a football forum don't like it! Go make it a night out, have a few beers, watch some football, have more beer and go home! Our fan base love a moan. We can add this to the list of weird things we are greeting about currently. I'm gonna stay far away from the FB page for this one!!

It's far from a farce. It's not even that far a trek, ok maybe if we were away up to Cove or wick for a 745pm then maybe there would be a small case. It's a minor inconvenience for a small number of people. Can't just force a club to up sticks and move just because a couple folk on a football forum don't like it! Go make it a night out, have a few beers, watch some football, have more beer and go home! Our fan base love a moan. We can add this to the list of weird things we are greeting about currently. I'm gonna stay far away from the FB page for this one!!

I think fans are entitled to moan about what is a highly unusual if not unique arrangement. I couldn’t make the Cumnock game because it was a Friday night and now I can’t make the Clyde game because it has been arranged for the Saturday night. The Scottish Cup is a big part of our season and to miss both games is pretty annoying. What I don’t get is the suggestion that no other time is available. Are Clyde saying that if they have a home league game postponed they won’t be able to rearrange it? Because that couldn’t be on a Saturday night

9 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I think fans are entitled to moan about what is a highly unusual if not unique arrangement. I couldn’t make the Cumnock game because it was a Friday night and now I can’t make the Clyde game because it has been arranged for the Saturday night. The Scottish Cup is a big part of our season and to miss both games is pretty annoying. What I don’t get is the suggestion that no other time is available. Are Clyde saying that if they have a home league game postponed they won’t be able to rearrange it? Because that couldn’t be on a Saturday night

If Clyde had a league game postponed they'd rearrange it for a suitable midweek, as all clubs do. Would you rather it was played midweek?

We do seem to go a bit mental as a fanbase when anything other than 3pm on a Saturday comes up. By all accounts we took a good number to Cumnock and I'd be surprised if a Saturday night puts off a significant number of people attending this one. I normally have to head down to Irvine on a Saturday afternoon these days but with an evening kick off I've got a chance to make this one, I'm sure plenty others will be the same, certainly anyone who works a Saturday shift might be better off here. Annoying for some who can't make it but ultimately it's one game against an opposition we've played 8 times over the last two seasons, playing Clyde at Hamilton isn't screaming "magic of the cup" to me. 

On 31/10/2022 at 07:10, Nowhereman said:

There's a much bigger timeframe available to rearrange a league game.

I can't make 7.45 and would have gone if it was a 3pm kick-off but can appreciate this must have been the best option available to get the game played. 

3 hours ago, TullyBascombe said:

There's a much bigger timeframe available to rearrange a league game.

I can't make 7.45 and would have gone if it was a 3pm kick-off but can appreciate this must have been the best option available to get the game played. 

The next round isn't until 21st January so there is plenty of time. Anyway Saturday night it is.

I think that lost in opinions given on an unusual kick off time, is the most important question for the club.  Is the tie winnable for Dumbarton?  I think it is, if a reasonably full squad is available on the day.  Who knows, possibly strengthened by new signings or loans?  It's not a great draw, but it's not beyond Dumbarton to  get through to the next round.

I'd have preferred that as a draw to ours away to ICT despite the the kick off time.  We did pull off a penalties win there in the league cup, but getting the best of that tie twice is a hell of a big ask.  Count your blessings sons, rather your job than ours. You can do it and hope for a big money tie to follow, but you don't have to like the kick off time for the task. 

Just a quick shout-out that as part of our 150th Anniversary Exhibition currently in progress at Dumbarton Public Library, established football writer and presenter Daniel Gray will be giving a talk next Wednesday 9th November from 6.00pm to 7.15pm. 

Daniel is the editor of the excellent Scottish football digest magazine 'Nutmeg' and the website below lists his various publications

https://danielgraywriter.com/books/

The link below will enable prospective attendees to reserve their free ticket. 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/football-journeys-and-delights-with-daniel-gray-tickets-433545214407?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

32 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just a quick shout-out that as part of our 150th Anniversary Exhibition currently in progress at Dumbarton Public Library, established football writer and presenter Daniel Gray will be giving a talk next Wednesday 9th November from 6.00pm to 7.15pm. 

Daniel is the editor of the excellent Scottish football digest magazine 'Nutmeg' and the website below lists his various publications

https://danielgraywriter.com/books/

The link below will enable prospective attendees to reserve their free ticket. 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/football-journeys-and-delights-with-daniel-gray-tickets-433545214407?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

That sounds pretty interesting - if I can get the night off I will pop down. How long will the exhibition be on display at the library? I really need to get down there and have a gander.

41 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

That sounds pretty interesting - if I can get the night off I will pop down. How long will the exhibition be on display at the library? I really need to get down there and have a gander.

The exhibition is on until the 17th of December, well worth a visit 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

150 years WOW!  We've only been going since 1945 and that largely by courtesy of the Luftwaffe blowing big bomb holes in Kings Park FCs pitch.  Maybe we should adopt this for an anthem.

Then again probably better not.

On 30/10/2022 at 12:21, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There could be a Farrell square go with @lorenzo71 ootside the Stags next weekend. 

Bring it on!!😅

Absolutely nothing against the man as I have said before.I think he makes a good Assistant but I dont think he has what it takes to get us promoted.

If he proves me wrong no one will be happier than me.

Makes sense tbh. Surprised they didn’t try for a 12pm ko.
hospitality could have been a fry up.
Having seen that a lot of games have been moved to the previous evening, I'm a wee bit surprised we haven't done that since that's the anniversary day. Maybe we'll make more of a thing of it on the Saturday though.

I would’ve probably have preferred the Friday night personally but nae issue either way. If that’s the anniversary weekend then I’m assuming the club have something planned that’s easier to set up/organise for the Saturday than it is the Friday evening. 

My prediction? Match postponed, everything ruined, organised for a miserable midweek in January. Merry Christmas!