Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

That Allan Clarke banger really is something else eh.  

Farrell fucked us last year, and needs to put it right but saying stuff like this puts him further in the mud with some, me included.  He is an extremely lucky man to even still be at this club.

Aye the winning run was class and youd have taken joint top at this stage, but we arent playing good football, thats just a fact and anyone claiming otherwise needs their head checked.

Absolutely take the wins but with the squad we have I feel we should be playing better and killing teams off.  Defensively we canny have any complaints bar the 6-0 gubbing at Stirling.

Aye, I’m not entirely sure why Farrell feels the need to not only address it but make it the main point of his post match interview. Why does he care what fans are writing on forums or daft Facebook groups? Why does he or anyone else who’s part of the playing squad even read it? I know there are players who are part of that Facebook group, which I think is pretty daft personally.

If the players were getting pelters within earshot on a Saturday I could understand his frustration but greetin over online comments is petty, defensive nonsense and just creates unneeded tension between him and the support, which is pretty much constantly sitting at boiling point after last season’s horror show.

At one point yesterday a fan shouted at keeper re passing out rather than punting up the park.

the keeper started to answer back

i did shout at keeper to ignore sidelines and concentrate on game not to listen to shouts from side. 
don’t think faz should fall into this trap either 

I think we’ve been good this season tbh, some of our fans are just dour and need something to moan about. Faz and the players deserve plaudits for getting us into the position we’re in.

That being said,  a lot of the criticism I’ve seen is fair and constructive. You’ll always get a bit of stick for playing the kind of football we play, especially when the wins stop coming, like they did for a few weeks there.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll happily watch us play like this all season if it means we’re still in the mix come the end of the season.

Edited by THE CHOSEN SON

1 minute ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

That being said,  a lot of the criticism I’ve seen is fair and constructive.

From the majority on here that is the case aye, but elsewhere online we have a huge number of loonys who are extremists on both sides. Folk wanting him bagged because we aren’t winning 5-0 every week and folk who want to crawl inside his farter and live there no matter what happens. There just doesn’t seem to be a middle ground. 

Not that Farrell should be remotely arsed about what the loonys are posting online, he has bigger things to worry about than that.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

From the majority on here that is the case aye, but elsewhere online we have a huge number of loonys who are extremists on both sides. Folk wanting him bagged because we aren’t winning 5-0 every week and folk who want to crawl inside his farter and live there no matter what happens. There just doesn’t seem to be a middle ground. 

Not that Farrell should be remotely arsed about what the loonys are posting online, he has bigger things to worry about than that.

Aye I would agree that the extremes of opinion are the major issue here. By and large it's not too bad at games, but the mood around the support isn't as buoyant as I imagine it is at Albion, for example.

The full interview will be in Tuesday's Lennox but, as much as I agree he should ignore it, I do think he has a point. I was stood on the pitch waiting for the players to come out yesterday and the mood was really upbeat. Faz was delighted, the rest of the coaching staff were chuffed, the players were on a high. The reporter for the local press in Annan was in disbelief that our fans were kicking off when he heard it from Faz.

I went on Facebook whilst I waited, and the first thing I saw was a post complaining we didn't have enough possession :lol: There's someone else there kicking off that our goal difference isn't as good as Stirling Albion's - ignoring the 12 goal swing caused by one game, and another guy saying we should never be in League Two. Quite where that arrogance comes from is beyond me; we're a similar sized club to Stirling, East Fife, Forfar, Stenny and so on. Teams we've spent most of my lifetime playing regularly.

Do we look like rampant league winners who will Kelty Hearts/Cove Rangers our way to the title? No. Of course we don't. But the bare facts don't lie. We're the second best team in the league after 12 games, we've got a good buffer to 5th place and a huge buffer to 10th. If you'd offered every single Sons fan that in June then they'd have bitten your hand off. Six clean sheets in 12 games after our car-crash defending last season is an excellent achievement too.

Aye Faz took us down. Aye some fans will never be won over. And that's absolutely fine. But football is about results, and absolutely no other factor. Our results this season have been very good.

I think a decade or so of watching a team scrap for their lives to keep their heads above water has made fans a bit unsure what to do when we are on track for a decent season. 

It's easy for Faz to get the fans onside though. As long as he can put a team on the park that plays cracking football, dominates  possession and is winning games at a higher level than the league we're in then everyone will be happy...

20 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's easy for Faz to get the fans onside though. As long as he can put a team on the park that plays cracking football, dominates  possession and is winning games at a higher level than the league we're in then everyone will be happy...

He could do all that and there would still be folk raging that he didn't wave enough

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yeah, fair enough. I tend to stay well clear of that Facebook group tbh.

The attitude and the collective work ethic over the last two games have been good at venues where we could well have come a cropper.  It's when that isn't the case, eg Stirling, that the red mist descends.

And there's nothing up with that as long as it doesn't stray into abuse.  I don't think we're much different from other clubs in that regard.  I also think the backing the team receives on match days is heartfelt.

What Stevie Farrell, and the club Board for that matter, need to remember however is that this club was relegated last season into a division which now has a trapdoor at its arse end, one which four senior clubs have already fallen through.

As such League Two is now more of a white-knuckle ride than sleepy backwater and the fans' reactions will reflect that.

And as a reminder, the only table that counts is the one on May 7th 2023.

5 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

Hope there is a very good reason for this time.....not ideal for the fans.

Clyde share with Hamilton and both have a home draw. The ground is in use at other times as well so it just left a slightly odd Saturday night time free 

As much as it might be frustrating for us fans, there isn't really much that can be done. Hamilton share with Clyde, there was always going to be 1 of the matches moved and it was always going to be Clyde if neither selected for TV. Hamilton's ground is probably the most used ground in Scottish football amongst their numerous age group teams and woman's team. Even though its a community stadium it's not available to hire as its constantly in use. Why should the SFA make Clyde play at a neutral venue? It's their home game and they should be entitled to play there.

I'm not against Clyde playing " at home " but it's the whole set up of the situation. What if the Hamilton game goes to penalties, it's that short turn around for staff at Hamilton and players from Dumbarton and Clyde, not to mention the four sets of supporters being around the same area at the same time. It's a farce and it's not the first time a team has been forced to play at a neutral venue.

10 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

I'm not against Clyde playing " at home " but it's the whole set up of the situation. What if the Hamilton game goes to penalties, it's that short turn around for staff at Hamilton and players from Dumbarton and Clyde, not to mention the four sets of supporters being around the same area at the same time. It's a farce and it's not the first time a team has been forced to play at a neutral venue.

Accies game is the slightly earlier time of 14:30 to presumably account for it possibly going to ET and pens

5 hours ago, cedrick1 said:

At one point yesterday a fan shouted at keeper re passing out rather than punting up the park.

the keeper started to answer back

i did shout at keeper to ignore sidelines and concentrate on game not to listen to shouts from side. 
don’t think faz should fall into this trap either 

That comment is a bit ironic.

Even if the Hamilton game goes to penalties, there'll still be the best part of two hours turnaround before we kick off. That's plenty time. As for the fans being in the area at the same time, there'll be barely 1000 spectators attending on the day. I can't see any problem with that. It's not like the time they wanted to have two semi finals at Hampden on the same day with near enough 100k fans.