Sons' sorrow

There’s a lot of lunatics on the FB page, on both sides of the manager debate, but I do think we are not ruthless enough as a club. And never have been, in my lifetime.

Sometimes, sacking a manager is made out as having him hung, drawn and quartered (amongst our support). In reality, it’s part of the game, and not a huge deal.

I’m not saying Farrell should be sacked if we lose tomorrow, but if and when he goes, it’s not a big deal. We owe the guy nothing (nor he, us).

Edited by FifeSons

On 18/10/2022 at 20:49, Clarko_son said:

Had a look at moreroom to see how they were doing. Website doesn't seem to load although that might just be my phone. They currently have no officers on Companies House and recently survived being struck off somehow. They did have £49k in capital and reserves in the accounts up to June 2021 though so I'm sure the money is on its way to us...

The money was just resting in their account.

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

There’s a lot of lunatics on the FB page, on both sides of the manager debate, but I do think we are not ruthless enough as a club. And never have been, in my lifetime.

Sometimes, sacking a manager is made out as having him hung, drawn and quartered (amongst our support). In reality, it’s part of the game, and not a huge deal.

I’m not saying Farrell should be sacked if we lose tomorrow, but if and when he goes, it’s not a big deal. We owe the guy nothing (nor he, us).

We sacked Alan Adamson after 8 games in the Championship then went on the best run of my lifetime after it. Off the top of my head I think Aitken is probably the only one who should've gone earlier. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We sacked Alan Adamson after 8 games in the Championship then went on the best run of my lifetime after it. Off the top of my head I think Aitken is probably the only one who should've gone earlier. 

We've made a great start in the league this term but the last four games have been a disturbing reminder of last season.  Tonight's game at Cumnock is massive, not just for reputation but because the Scottish Cup represents our best hope of any sort of payday this season.

And that may assume extra importance if the rumours that the club can't afford any option to change the Manager are true.  A financial situation not helped of course by that £35k sponsorship not being paid.

I don't believe we will be promoted and I hope and pray we don't begin to slide down the league in this landmark year.  If Stevie Farrell gets us back on a winning run then I'll be both delighted and surprised, but unless something significant happens it looks like his position is currently secure.

We're never going to sack the manager when it's only goal difference keeping us off top spot. Losing tonight wouldn't be the same as the Bonnyrigg defeat since we were two divisions higher back then but, coupled with the run we're on, it would put pressure on Farrell. It's up to him to get us out of the rut we're in and a win this evening would give the players a confidence boost.

Tonight is a perfect opportunity to come out, win, and get some confidence back against a team, we should on paper, beat. 

In reality it won't be that simple and a large majority of our support are understandably worried about the outcome. A cup run would be nice, get a decent couple away days to some nice grounds before ending at a money spinning Premiership side......that's the dream! 

On 16/10/2022 at 20:35, Sons fan 1872 said:

With gemmell out for what looks to be the season , can we wait until January to get a striker and anyone think we should or could get an emergency loan

There's no such thing as an emergency loan for an outfield player so, no, you couldn't.

You can sign a free agent or wait till January. Those are your options.

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Paul Martin, Fallon and McCabe, surely, too?

On 31/01/2022 at 13:52, The Moonster said:

We'll be deid within a year. Vultures are not only circling, they're being given directorship. 

I’m all up for folk having their say, however, I think comments like this, and others I’ve read, show a little lack of class in what they now about a person.

A genuine attempt was made to invest some money into the club, along with more hands on experience in club management. Lots of money and time spent to communicate and travel across from the States to stay in scotland for 2 months to take in 6 games home and away, get to know the area, the structure and potential of the club. 

Vultures tend to circle for something free…this attempt was anything but free to show we were serious, in the end it was clear that our ambitions weren’t accepted, so we moved on. 

19 minutes ago, colpie said:

I’m all up for folk having their say, however, I think comments like this, and others I’ve read, show a little lack of class in what they now about a person.

A genuine attempt was made to invest some money into the club, along with more hands on experience in club management. Lots of money and time spent to communicate and travel across from the States to stay in scotland for 2 months to take in 6 games home and away, get to know the area, the structure and potential of the club. 

Vultures tend to circle for something free…this attempt was anything but free to show we were serious, in the end it was clear that our ambitions weren’t accepted, so we moved on. 

Interesting take on it Colin.

Nobody knew what your ambitions were. Transparency was more than a little bit lacking. No attempt to reach out to the fans. The last part I'm not overly shocked by as its been a weakness of the club board for some time now. Ultimately only 2 types of people invest in lower league football clubs: philanthropists with a local connection who want to give something back to the community or people who think that there's a buck to be made. Very few people with absolutely no connection to a small local football club want to help out with absolutely no expectation of a return,  I'd also suggest that football clubs with a £35k sized, sponsorship shaped hole in their finances don't turn down investment.

If you and your associates were serious then there should have been far more done long before it became a late night talking point on Pie n Bovril.

6 hours ago, colpie said:

Nice of you to turn up and talk to fans now that you've left the club. Nobody knew what you were doing here, and nobody knows what your plans were. You arrived with some football agent in tow and the only stuff online about your experience in football was Gateshead, and again it wasn't exactly clear what you'd done there either. Please tell me - why Dumbarton football club? You have nothing to do with us, you state yourself it was a lot of bother travelling here, so what exactly were you gaining from it? Your ambitions weren't accepted? What were tour ambitions and who rejected them? 

Perhaps if you'd tried to address issues like this when you arrived people wouldn't be sceptical, and turning up after you've fucked off telling me I've got no class is fucking laughable.

Edited by The Moonster

7 hours ago, colpie said:

In my opinion you are perfectly entitled to air your views on here or anywhere else, and indeed it is always refreshing for anyone involved at Boardroom level at DFC to engage with supporters.

I'm a co-founder of the Sons Supporters Trust and a current Trust Board member, and like many other people I'm very concerned about about the ownership and current direction of the club.

Let me ask you a straight question.  Did yourself and/or your business partner(s) make an initial approach to the majority shareholder of DFC or the current club Board of Directors, or was the overture in the reverse direction ?  I suspect that whatever the answer, your side was 'encouraged' to get involved by the majority shareholder on the premise of potential financial investment, primary because that have no great interest in the football aspects of DFC.

You also mention ambition, or the lack of it, and I can understand your frustration.  Was it your honest view that there is a lack of ambition on the part of the club Board or does it lie with the club ownership, as I'm sure you will have recognised that they are two very separate entities ?  The very fact that we have a Board of a professional football club currently comprising only three persons who are virtually consumed with keeping DFC financially viable, with an ownership intent primarily on land speculation is a truly grim situation.  Did you share that view and if so, did you speak out on it ?

I understand that you may be becoming involved with another Scottish League club.  Good luck in your endeavours, and one thing is for sure - you are unlikely to encounter such a dismal and dubious ownership situation and club structure elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I understand that you may be becoming involved with another Scottish League club. 

I wondered what the motive for his appearance on here was, but there it is. Obviously doesn't want folk like me telling the next club he's a chancer. Good luck with that Colin!

10 hours ago, colpie said:

A genuine attempt was made to invest money into the club?  So question is, where is it? I cant imagine many football clubs in Scotland would turn down some investment. The problem is you either didnt have any or had alterior motives. Excuse us for thinking you were a chancer cause sounds to me like that's exactly what you are.

You've jumped onto P&B to respond to a comment from months ago in the middle of the night. A few too many wines perhaps? The time for responding to fans, engaging was a long time ago! I hope whatever club you are off too next sit up and take note.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I wondered what the motive for his appearance on here was, but there it is. Obviously doesn't want folk like me telling the next club he's a chancer. Good luck with that Colin!

I guess the motive was to reply to some of the comments made with my point of view rather than speculation or creative imagination.

Also happy for you to give me your point of view on me as a person, as we have never met I’d imagine you are a highly skilled judge of character. 

While on the board it would have been unprofessional to “go rogue” and speak out about my ambitions, personally and professionally.

Which are, to use the past 11-12 years of working in football self employed in Scotland (my home) and in the North of England, work inside a club at in influential level, using the contacts made, not just in football, but commercial and other projects. Control the day to day running with a partnership and build something a little different, having a different approach to how clubs at this level work at, perhaps take some calculated risks to explore alternative revenue and exposure. Something that has a good 6-7 years of planning going in to.

The current situation with the land did make our plans a little complicated, and why my partner flew over to have face to face talks with the owners of how we can come to an agreement where we would manage to the football operations, with the current board and support in all areas we could, not just keeping afloat. That agreement couldn’t be made, common ground couldn’t be found to give both parties security. Not just as simple as someone saying to the club, here’s some money and I want nothing in return, that something in return was to control the day to day.

I would say that the current board deserve a medal in what they do for your club and their efforts to continually dedicate their free time in running it for the owners.

My decision to leave was one I didn’t make quickly, but when you have plans and desires to achieve something in life, you have to put all focus in to that, and it would be unethical to seek another club while on the board of another. 

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

A genuine attempt was made to invest money into the club?  So question is, where is it? I cant imagine many football clubs in Scotland would turn down some investment. The problem is you either didnt have any or had alterior motives. Excuse us for thinking you were a chancer cause sounds to me like that's exactly what you are.

You've jumped onto P&B to respond to a comment from months ago in the middle of the night. A few too many wines perhaps? The time for responding to fans, engaging was a long time ago! I hope whatever club you are off too next sit up and take note.

Colpie can defend himself but if you are looking for chancers then look no further than the two characters behind Cognitive Capital.  Maybe this was a genuine attempt to invest money and take the club forward but there was then a quick realisation that they risked backing a deuce when they saw how the club is run.  Who knows?

Here's another theory.  Dalmoak has died a death and maybe Cognitive are looking for an exit door, but at a price.  Maybe they thought Colpie fitted that bill but it all went Pete Tong.  Who knows?

Come back and tell us @colpie