Sons' sorrow

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As regards the impact on hospitality I'm sure a savvy caterer could come up with a brunch-style menu or a buffet rather than the traditional three-course offering.  The price would need to be sensitive to the more informal food perhaps.

And I think there would be uptake for streaming.  I'm not going to attempt early KO's at Elgin, Annan or Stranraer but I would certainly stream the game.  The players and staff might not fancy a crack of dawn start however.

Or they could just switch the lunch round to post-match. I've done Hampden hospitality a couple of times for early start Scottish cup semi finals and that process has worked well.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Elgin is the only game you'd really have to leave at a silly time, and the trade off is the players get home at a reasonable time to enjoy a Saturday night rather than 10 or 11pm. 

They're professional footballers. Them being able to have a night out after the game should not come in to it at all

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

They're professional footballers. Them being able to have a night out after the game should not come in to it at all

I didn't necessarily mean for them to go out on the piss, I'm sure some of them have families they'd like to spend it with rather than be sat on a bus.

If part-time clubs aren't paying them for the entire time they're sat on the bus (no idea if they are or not) then they'd probably want to be careful about giving it the "you're a professional footballer" chat to anyone raising this.

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If part-time clubs aren't paying them for the entire time they're sat on the bus (no idea if they are or not) then they'd probably want to be careful about giving it the "you're a professional footballer" chat to anyone raising this.

So you're saying that travelling to and from the game isn't part of their job?

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Nobody suggested anything about them having "a night out" though. Just that they would be back home at an earlier time. Which I'm sure would suit the majority in terms of spending time with family etc.

FWIW, if players want to have a night out then they are entitled to do so. As long as it doesn't have any impact on performances on the park or fitness etc. They are Part-time footballers in Scotland, not playing in the Bundesliga or English Premier League.

People who follow this page will know. A certain individual took issue with the young sons who make a lot of noise, said he wouldn't be back, the club would lose his pre match hospitality money etc etc.... It's good to see that the young team have been encouraged to go to games, at home and on the bus. And he's still going...

3 hours ago, TamCarson said:

People who follow this page will know. A certain individual took issue with the young sons who make a lot of noise, said he wouldn't be back, the club would lose his pre match hospitality money etc etc.... It's good to see that the young team have been encouraged to go to games, at home and on the bus. And he's still going...

OK, I never knew that so that sounds like a win/win.  Anyway I hear that the exhibition is very good.

Finlay Gray has extended his deal until next summer. On paper I'm really pleased with that; he's been a revelation so far this season and I've enjoyed watching him. He's got a bit of magic about him, I love the fact he's a local lad from a Sons supporting family and he's also a really nice kid.

However. I've now fully got the fear that he will turn into the 2022/23 season Callum Wilson. And I do not want to see that happen again.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=5582