Sons' sorrow

It’s when they have no idea what football is that you should be taking them. Because once they find out they won’t want to go
I think there's a sweet spot in when a child (different for each one obvs) will enjoy going to the football. I went too early with my daughter and she doesn't like the game at all as a result. I feel like I've failed as both a father and a Dumbarton fan.

46 minutes ago, microdave said:
11 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

It’s when they have no idea what football is that you should be taking them. Because once they find out they won’t want to go

I think there's a sweet spot in when a child (different for each one obvs) will enjoy going to the football. I went too early with my daughter and she doesn't like the game at all as a result. I feel like I've failed as both a father and a Dumbarton fan.

I think it's natural to feel that way but also think of the years of pain and suffering she'll not have to face

5 hours ago, microdave said:
16 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Neither of mine enjoy it. But both sat beside Clarko, so it may just be him they don't like.

34 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Thoughts on this assuming this is done throughout the lower leagues 

01A64BD5-CF4F-4C14-B893-C56D11496F91.png

I mean there's pros and cons and personally it doesn't affect me too much outside of that I like my matchday routine. If fans are working Saturday mornings or take their kids to football as example then it makes it more difficult for them to attend. That being said if it has a big saving to the club then I can see how it makes sense. I quite like how Ayr are asking for views on it to be honest and would hope we would do the same before taking any decisions. There's no point in saving energy costs if we lose more by folk not turning up. 

Ultimately I can't see us actually doing it as we'll lose out overall. Can't imagine the folk being the hospitality, catering and the bar would be entirely chuffed about it either.

2 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

I mean there's pros and cons and personally it doesn't affect me too much outside of that I like my matchday routine. If fans are working Saturday mornings or take their kids to football as example then it makes it more difficult for them to attend. That being said if it has a big saving to the club then I can see how it makes sense. I quite like how Ayr are asking for views on it to be honest and would hope we would do the same before taking any decisions. There's no point in saving energy costs if we lose more by folk not turning up. 

Ultimately I can't see us actually doing it as we'll lose out overall. Can't imagine the folk being the hospitality, catering and the bar would be entirely chuffed about it either.

🤣

I'd prefer we overthrow the government, utility companies and 'elite' and execute all of them. Perfectly happy for the leagues to go into mothballs until the revolution has been concluded in it's bloody glory. Then play football games at 3pm when they're supposed to be played. 

I've been to junior games in the winter that were earlier kick-offs. Not terrible, and you get used to your routines being disrupted a bit. In the juniors it was necessity as most clubs didnt have floodlights. At our level it may well be necessity given the terrible cost of utilities. Other than increasing costs to fans then I'm not sure what the alternative would be?

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Wouldn't 2pm be suitable except for maybe a couple of weekends in December? 

I assume the thinking is that if they have to move earlier to keep the floodlights off, they're as well going early enough to avoid the 2:45-5:15 blackout period and be allowed to offer domestic streams again. Whether that's actually going to make clubs money when taking into account such an early kick off inevitably causing a significant drop in away fans even compared to 1:30-2 I don't know.

35 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I assume the thinking is that if they have to move earlier to keep the floodlights off, they're as well going early enough to avoid the 2:45-5:15 blackout period and be allowed to offer domestic streams again. Whether that's actually going to make clubs money when taking into account such an early kick off inevitably causing a significant drop in away fans even compared to 1:30-2 I don't know.

Hadn't considered that. I'm on board with 12 kick offs in that case.

11 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I've been to junior games in the winter that were earlier kick-offs. Not terrible, and you get used to your routines being disrupted a bit. In the juniors it was necessity as most clubs didnt have floodlights. At our level it may well be necessity given the terrible cost of utilities. Other than increasing costs to fans then I'm not sure what the alternative would be?

All players and officials to be supplied with one of these.

image.png.2161c5bcedbce1e4301e2ca39043de47.png

As regards the impact on hospitality I'm sure a savvy caterer could come up with a brunch-style menu or a buffet rather than the traditional three-course offering.  The price would need to be sensitive to the more informal food perhaps.

And I think there would be uptake for streaming.  I'm not going to attempt early KO's at Elgin, Annan or Stranraer but I would certainly stream the game.  The players and staff might not fancy a crack of dawn start however.

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As regards the impact on hospitality I'm sure a savvy caterer could come up with a brunch-style menu or a buffet rather than the traditional three-course offering.  The price would need to be sensitive to the more informal food perhaps.

And I think there would be uptake for streaming.  I'm not going to attempt early KO's at Elgin, Annan or Stranraer but I would certainly stream the game.  The players and staff might not fancy a crack of dawn start however.

Elgin is the only game you'd really have to leave at a silly time, and the trade off is the players get home at a reasonable time to enjoy a Saturday night rather than 10 or 11pm.