Sons' sorrow

Here’s a couple of questions. Has Dumbarton FC ever, at any point, led a league by 8 points? Have we ever won 6 league games in a row? Does anyone know?
We won 9 consecutive games in 71/72. The club record for consecutive victories is 15 which was set in 1905/06. As for being 8 points clear, I have no idea.

8 minutes ago, rockson said:

We almost certainly have won 6 in a row at some time. Maybe 1971-2? And there was that season in the bottom division, 2008-09, we won 2-0 how many times in a row before trouncing Elgin 6-0 and then beating Annan away?

Most we won in a row in 2008/2009 was 5

17 minutes ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Howlin said:
Here’s a couple of questions. Has Dumbarton FC ever, at any point, led a league by 8 points? Have we ever won 6 league games in a row? Does anyone know?

We won 9 consecutive games in 71/72*. The club record for consecutive victories is 15 which was set in 1905/06. As for being 8 points clear, I have no idea.

I should have remembered that* of course. Nine is the target to equal a record set 50 years ago. 15 looks a tough one..

I should have remembered that* of course. Nine is the target to equal a record set 50 years ago. 15 looks a tough one..
15 would take until 12th November. That run was all league fixtures and is the best winning run the club has had but it might be worth noting that our current run of wins stands at two because of the challenge Cup defeat. Even though most (myself included) were nonplussed at that, it's still a competitive match so it's interrupted the run so we've a way to go to equal that particular record. It would be nice of course.

Eta if we were to continue winning (with two scottish cup ties in between) we would break the record on Christmas eve which is the day after the 150th anniversary of the club's formation.

As nice as that sounds, it ain't happening.

Incidentally, we've actually won 7 league games in a row since we beat Clyde in the final game of last season.

On 01/09/2022 at 09:35, Jan Vojáček said:

In all seriousness though we are planning on guests every month, so if there's anyone you'd really like to have on - current/former players, management, coaches, whoever then suggest away. I've got a wee list drawn up in my head.

Ross Forbes

Scott Bannerman

James Wallace

Stefan McCluskey

My interest in this podcast is entirely Dumbarton related and I will not be demanding Rabin Omar interviews for the craic purely because he played for Morton once.

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Ross Forbes

Scott Bannerman

James Wallace

Stefan McCluskey

My interest in this podcast is entirely Dumbarton related and I will not be demanding Rabin Omar interviews for the craic purely because he played for Morton once.

Of all the players who played for both clubs I think the only one I want to hear from is Andy Graham. 

I'd take Bannerman on if we got the Sons fan he offered a square go on at the same time and finally settled the Battle of Balmoor from all those years ago.

12 hours ago, microdave said:
13 hours ago, Howlin said:

We won 9 consecutive games in 71/72. The club record for consecutive victories is 15 which was set in 1905/06. As for being 8 points clear, I have no idea.

Sorry mate - have to correct you there -some archive sites (including the Sons Archive) quote the 2nd December 1905 game against Dykehead as a 3-2 win - whereas it was in fact a 2-3 loss. So only 8 consecutive wins was the best that season.

13 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I think possibly a 6 point lead was the previous best - at the end of December 1890 - ahead of Rangers, when we eventually shared the title. The following season 1891-92 is probably the best for consecutive wins - 12 from October 1891 to April 1892 - and where we retained the league title.

19 minutes ago, sons exile said:

I think possibly a 6 point lead was the previous best - at the end of December 1890 - ahead of Rangers, when we eventually shared the title. The following season 1891-92 is probably the best for consecutive wins - 12 from October 1891 to April 1892 - and where we retained the league title.

Who amongst us following the opening day defeat from Stirling would have thought just a few weeks later that we would be comparing victory records from the 1890's ?

11 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Callum Wilson scored for Broomhill today, absolutely no idea if he actually played well but hopefully that'll be good for his confidence either way 

11 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Callum Wilson scored for Broomhill today, absolutely no idea if he actually played well but hopefully that'll be good for his confidence either way 

Absolutely cracker of a free kick he scored 

Sorry mate - have to correct you there -some archive sites (including the Sons Archive) quote the 2nd December 1905 game against Dykehead as a 3-2 win - whereas it was in fact a 2-3 loss. So only 8 consecutive wins was the best that season.
Duly amended on the Sons Archive. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

According to Wiki it was nine that season following the 2-3 loss