Sons' sorrow

Not justifying the tackle in any way but Apparently Lowry was being a dick towards Callum Wilson all game and looks like Ally Love has let him have one. 
Fans dishing out death threats is out of order and sums up the fans of their club. 

Obviously nothing condones a dangerous tackle on him but he also appeared to be mocking our keeper to his team mates after putting the penalty past him.

Last night there was a clear lack of desire to win in this competition, but it also highlighted a couple of other things.

1. We are lacking in depth outside the starting XI - Callum Wilson is so unfit there no chance he’s going to have a positive impact right now, David Wilson just looks so sloppy/not up to the standard, McGeever I’d say was the most worrying aspect of the game. Yes he’s only just back from a knee injury but his mobility and speed changing direction was terrible - big concern unless he ups it significantly. Wylde is so lightweight and John Gemmell is very very immobile, if he starts then teams are guaranteed to pin us back as he just looked miles off it. Could see why he’s a good option in both boxes tho if we need something late in a game.

2. With Ross McLean out we are really lacking anyone with pace outside the starting XI. This really crippled us last night as Rangers knew only Gray and McKee had the legs on the transition so they could press really high without fear of many runs in behind. We need McLean back asap and if we’re able to sign just 1 loan player then make it a winger with some speed please.

There was some positives I guess. I though McKee and Gray were good before being subbed at half time. Carswell and Lynas weren’t bad either. Ryan Blair looked decent second half. Ryan Wallace impressed me but can’t play out wide. I’d maybe try him in the midfield 3 as long as Gray is one of the 3, or up front but he’ll have to be patient given Bryne’s form.

Finally a post about the football, and a good one at that.  I wasn't at the game last night but it seems to have been a reality check on a few fronts.

I think Faz has done well in assembling an improved 1st team but it is basically a squad of about thirteen or fourteen obvious picks plus the remainder.  If there is a fair wind with injuries and suspensions that may take us a long way but last night possibly highlights the fragility of the situation.

So what's to be done?  Well, other than maybe a loan signing it will be all about hard work and organisation.  Last night needs to be moved on from quickly, although I suspect there was an element of playing the reputation rather than the opposition.

The biggest disappointment for me is the reports of a bad night for Harry Broun - he will need to put this behind him quickly but that will require playing competitive football, that could take time.

15 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If I was looking at it from the outside, I'd say we're defensively solid and a threat going forward - with plenty of different options in attack, and a manager who looks to have addressed last season's weaknesses. We're not an easy team to break down and look like a well organised side where everyone knows their roles.

Unfortunately though I can't look in from the outside. So I'm waiting on the bubble popping and us going winless until Christmas.

I was actually going to ask how Ally Love had been getting on since moving from Clyde, but I see he's in the news! 😀

Anyway, moving on from the untimely death of Alex Lowry, why was there an SIA badged steward last night controlling when people went forward in the tea bar queue? It was utterly bizarre. He was holding his arm up as a barrier when the three ladies serving were occupied by punters, then when one would become free he'd point his radio and say "go to that one". Are Rangers fans such animals that they don't know how a queue works? Or Dumbarton fans? What was that about?

Think because it was down to one kiosk and the crowd was bigger than expected

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

ETA: I also hate this chat about “assault on a young boy” as if Lowry’s a 6 year old. Whilst I don’t condone it, that’s football and if B-teams are entering this competition, that’s the risk they take.

I was at the game last season to do the stream, and this was something that really got me.

Every time there was a challenge on a Rangers Colts player, the 50 or so folk they brought were spitting feathers about how the ref needed to protect and how they were 'only young boys'.

If they aren't ready for the physicality of adult football then they shouldn't be playing it. It's why development football is a thing.

If Lowry was noising folk up last night then being cemented by Love might be the best thing he's learnt. Because the same will happen at any level; whether he goes on to play in park on a Sunday or the Champions League.

2 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

I was actually going to ask how Ally Love had been getting on since moving from Clyde, but I see he's in the news! 😀

I like him. He's not torn things up, but I think he makes us a better team, his workrate is sensational, he's a clever player and he's got a good wee bit of skill about him. Akin to Martin McNiff, he's a solid League Two player who has improved us as a team. But without grabbing the headlines like Gray and Byrne have.

Be nice to see him hit the net soon mind you. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Ally's like you Pete, his big team is Kilmarnock. 

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

I was fairly sure Ally’s a Killie fan as well, but could be wrong!

Jesus, and I thought being a racist was bad. Release this man immediately and feed him to the slevering Rangers Twitter da’s.

2 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

Watched that video genuinely expecting much, much worse. I’ve maybe become desensitised due to years of watching Kevin Nicoll but I don’t that it’s that bad a tackle. Pretty poor, aye, probably a red card, but definitely not worthy of death threats ffs.

ETA: I also hate this chat about “assault on a young boy” as if Lowry’s a 6 year old. Whilst I don’t condone it, that’s football and if B-teams are entering this competition, that’s the risk they take.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at last night. I actuly don't think they would be anywhere near as bothered if it wasn't such a promising player who is looking to get back into the first team squad and he hadn't just come back from an injury. Add to that, that he had scored a hat-trick and had a good game.

But as bad as it was, we see challenges like that every other week in the lower leagues.  Players don't always end up injured but it happens and not much is made of it.

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Not justifying the tackle in any way but Apparently Lowry was being a dick towards Callum Wilson all game and looks like Ally Love has let him have one. 

Fans dishing out death threats is out of order and sums up the fans of their club. 

First I’ve heard this.  How was he being a dick to Callum Wilson?

16 minutes ago, Chanandler Bong said:

First I’ve heard this.  How was he being a dick to Callum Wilson?

I never noticed this to be honest but he was giving Broun some stick after the penalty. Looked a bit of a wee dick with a Billy big baws attitude, so wouldn't be overly surprised if he was.

18 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

I never noticed this to be honest but he was giving Broun some stick after the penalty. Looked a bit of a wee dick with a Billy big baws attitude, so wouldn't be overly surprised if he was.

Ok. How was he giving Broun stick? I was there but didn’t notice anything really.