Sons' sorrow

Worth taking a chance on. If he's in decent condition and is still hungry to play then why not? He knows what he's doing in the box and he'll be a handful for defenders late in the game. Last 20 minutes or so when we're chasing a game and want a more direct, physical option? Why not?

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Why not?

Well, we could sign someone who would offer us more than being an option for the last 20 minutes when we’re chasing a game…

That’s probably my main concern tbh. If Declan Byrne gets injured I’d rather have someone who can come in and play the majority of every game if required. Wallace and Love certainly don’t look like they can play as an out and out striker so we could be struggling if that scenario plays out. 

I don’t think for a minute that Gemmell will be commanding a big wage but I also highly doubt he’s playing for nothing. Perhaps that wage could’ve been utilised better elsewhere but time will tell.

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Well, we could sign someone who would offer us more than being an option for the last 20 minutes when we’re chasing a game…

That’s probably my main concern tbh. If Declan Byrne gets injured I’d rather have someone who can come in and play the majority of every game if required. Wallace and Love certainly don’t look like they can play as an out and out striker so we could be struggling if that scenario plays out. 

I don’t think for a minute that Gemmell will be commanding a big wage but I also highly doubt he’s playing for nothing. Perhaps that wage could’ve been utilised better elsewhere but time will tell.

Between Wallace, Love and Byrne we should have scoring options never mind from elsewhere in the team.  Gemmell gives us a completely different dimension in attack, and I think we're getting more than a Mark Lamont signing here.

Also, bear in mind that there seems to be a dearth of strikers at this level, at any wage.

29 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Those players are thin on the ground. There seems to be a shortage of decent strikers at all levels of Scottish football right now. In an era without colt teams then we perhaps pick up a young striker from Rangers or Celtic. In the past we took Shiavonne from Hearts. These days? Clubs would probably rather keep their strikers in house. If they're good enough then they'd be loaned to a Championship team.

9 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

On a slightly unrelated note - didn't we Christen him, John "The Beast" Gemmell?? In my top 2 nicknames alongside "Boaby Cam" 😂

Aye and he hated it. 🤣 

He seems to have fully embraced it now judging by his twitter handle. 

He looks in absolutely great shape. 

I’m assuming JG is on peanuts. If that’s the case then he is worth the punt. As many people have mentioned already, he looks the fittest he has ever been. I expect he will be 70min odd sub. If he can come on rile up some defenders, win some free kicks for McKee/Gray/Wilson etc to take and add a goal on two then why not give it a chance.

There really does seem a real shortage of strikers at the moment so at least we are trying something.

Yeah the money side of things really determines whether this is risky or not. Going by one of JG's interviews he was looking at a better offer after the initial discussions. I just hope we haven’t agreed too much with him though, given the situation.

I still expect another player on loan at least! A natural winger or attacking mid would be nice. Someone to create stuff and chip in with a few goals.

Big Gemmell is a veteran who’s been around and knows how to look after himself. He also appears to have a young family. He wont be on any sort of big wage but it certainly wont be peanuts. I’m not even sure what the lowest pay could be with the living wage stuff etc - I’m assuming we must have to pay a certain amount.

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Those players are thin on the ground. There seems to be a shortage of decent strikers at all levels of Scottish football right now. In an era without colt teams then we perhaps pick up a young striker from Rangers or Celtic. In the past we took Shiavonne from Hearts. These days? Clubs would probably rather keep their strikers in house. If they're good enough then they'd be loaned to a Championship team.

Gemmell probably did more in one substitute appearance last Saturday than Schiavonne did all season 

1 hour ago, aftershocker said:

Gemmell probably did more in one substitute appearance last Saturday than Schiavonne did all season 

True. Although I do think a youngster working along side someone with JG would help them progress.

5 hours ago, aftershocker said:

A ten minute cameo appearance when we are cruising and 3-0 up is a completely different ball game than being chucked into a team as the main striker when things are going terribly. I actually thought during a lot of those games Schiavone was one of our better players but it was pretty obvious he wasn’t a completely natural striker. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I actually thought during a lot of those games Schiavone was one of our better players but it was pretty obvious he wasn’t a completely natural striker. 

East Fife seemed to have played him as part of a 2 upfront although today are playing him of the left of midfield from what I can see. I would be surprised if being a winger was his true calling but I think he's not a number 9/lone striker type.

The game on Tuesday is perfect for Ryan McGeever make his first start of the season. I was delighted to see him back on the pitch for the closing stages yesterday. However, he's going to have some job to get back in the team with the way Carswell and Buchanan are playing.

5 minutes ago, microdave said:

The game on Tuesday is perfect for Ryan McGeever make his first start of the season. I was delighted to see him back on the pitch for the closing stages yesterday. However, he's going to have some job to get back in the team with the way Carswell and Buchanan are playing.

Good problem to have. Same with Ryan Wallace, technically our best forward, but unable to get a start due to others' form.