Sons' sorrow

19 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

The first part of this is spot on, the attitude after getting relegated was pretty dreadful from the board and club in general. Statements that were basically "yeah we went down but we've got new floodlights" missed the mark so spectacularly you'd think they'd been playing up front for us.

I was trying to be wary of not letting anger cloud my judgement at the time as well but the tactic of signing guys who seemed to have done alright at best at East Fife and Albion Rovers really put the fear in me. But I'm pretty pleased with how these guys have actually performed so far. David Wilson has been the only one I've felt a bit meh around but it's still early in the season and he might come into the team a bit more. 

I think after last season in particular we have to be wary but we can be happy with what we've done so far and long may it continue. 

As an aside I keep meaning to rejoin the trust and keep forgetting to do it at games. Can you join online as well, the form is from a few years ago? I figure there's some people on here who may be involved or in the know and might be quicker than emailing.

I suggest you speak pre-match in the Community Suite with Trust Membership Secretary Tommy Hughes who will be happy to set you up.

What's the deal with John Gemmell then? Must have played less than 10 games for Clyde but I always really liked him. Not a great player but physical and an absolute wind up merchant. Looks from Saturday's photos like he's slimmed down too. Obviously had an absolutely superb partnership with Scott Williamson last season and it's a really good advert for that level when players still have opportunities to move upwards, with Williamson moving to the Championship and Gemmell back into the seniors. 

It's great either way, even just for patters sake.

54 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

What's the deal with John Gemmell then? Must have played less than 10 games for Clyde but I always really liked him. Not a great player but physical and an absolute wind up merchant. Looks from Saturday's photos like he's slimmed down too. Obviously had an absolutely superb partnership with Scott Williamson last season and it's a really good advert for that level when players still have opportunities to move upwards, with Williamson moving to the Championship and Gemmell back into the seniors. 

It's great either way, even just for patters sake.

I'm hearing on the quiet that he has interested a couple of clubs other than ourselves, and it may well be that he'll go to whoever comes up with the best deal.  In his short time on the park on Saturday he certainly looked the part at this level even if he is 37.  We shall see.

11 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I suggest you speak pre-match in the Community Suite with Trust Membership Secretary Tommy Hughes who will be happy to set you up.

Ended up getting it sorted out but appreciate you reaching out to help 

41 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I'm hearing on the quiet that he has interested a couple of clubs other than ourselves, and it may well be that he'll go to whoever comes up with the best deal.  In his short time on the park on Saturday he certainly looked the part at this level even if he is 37.  We shall see.

I'd imagine the other clubs who are seriously interested would be the likes of Albion Rovers and Stenhousemuir. Maybe another team in our league. Interesting to see how he gets on if he features on Saturday vs Stenny. He was always popular wherever he went I'd say. Albion, Stenny, Cowdenbeath etc...

2 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Interesting. I’m not against us throwing him some sort of deal if it doesn’t break the bank (maybe a deal with big appearance / goal bonuses but small weekly wage). If there’s a bidding war in league 2 for a 37 year old John Gemmell then the world truly has gone mad.

I think he’d be a brilliant character to have around the club and the younger players would certainly learn a few things from a wily vet like John. He might be able to contribute here and there on the park - as Saturday showed - but I don’t see him featuring beyond 20 minute cameos.

Edited by THE CHOSEN SON

13 hours ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

He might be able to contribute here and there on the park - as Saturday showed - but I don’t see him featuring beyond 20 minute cameos.

I agree here, I think every team in League 1/2 needs a player *like* him - a big, disruptive striker who can hold the ball in and play with his feet too - but there just aren't that many still kicking about. 

37 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Any idea what’s on down at the stadium tonight? Clocked the floodlights on about half 6 and can hear a bit of shouting. Those daft wee Rangers weans don’t appear to have a fixture.

Seen in an article/interview with JG he mentioned a friendly match he was playing in.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Any idea what’s on down at the stadium tonight? Clocked the floodlights on about half 6 and can hear a bit of shouting. Those daft wee Rangers weans don’t appear to have a fixture.

Aye, closed door friendly 

seen as the dust has settled on the weekend...ive got to say that is the best i have seen us play in probably 12 months ( since the start of last season) it actually kid of reminded me of how we play under SA when we were top scorers away from home in the chmpionship. Happy to absorb presure but equally happy to get bodies forward especially on the counter. It was good to watch. 

Long may it continue....and long may Faz continue to prove me wrong. Roll on stenny at the weekend!!

Having been at your ground on Saturday and viewing the surrounding area it would not surprise me in the slightest if the owners sell it for housing and build a new ground elsewhere.Absolutely stunning down by the bowling club.Even in the stand looking across to the new flats and estuary.

Edited by the philosopher
Typing error

Having been at your ground on Saturday and viewing the surrounding area it would not surprise me in the slightest if the owners sell it for housing and build a new ground elsewhere.Absolutely stunning down by the bowling club.Even in the stand looking across to the new flats and estuary.

You don’t need to be a Philosopher to figure that out.

11 hours ago, the philosopher said:

Successive owners have been trying, and failing, to do that for a decade.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Anyone know if we will have highlights of Saturday up? SPFL put out their lower league round up and our match is the only one missing from it, which is annoying (especially when you think "ach I'll just watch the other games and wait for ours"). 

Weren't all the comms down at the club at the weekend ?