Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Be very glad you don't remember Kevin Gaughan; unfortunately I recall both him and Graham Connell only too well.

And yes, Gaughan was ex-Stranraer.

Maybe he was just lost on me completely that season. In trying to find out who he is I noticed he's went on to have a good career outside of football so maybe it was never really his true calling... I can remember Connell, James Allan of course, and even Kevin McDonald 

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

3-0 down in 12 minutes was impressive. I can’t think of a time we’ve done that since, off the top of my head.

That season was absolutely batshit crazy. We threw away 2 goal leads, to lose, on several occasions (Patrick away and home and Peterhead at home, at least) and only took 2 points from our last 13 games. Alloa were absolutely miles behind and then appointed Allan Maitland who gave them form that was polar-opposite to ours.

I think we were maybe as much as 14 points adrift at one point and Forfar were actually the nearest team to us rather than Sons when Maitland came in. He made us hard to beat and Jamie Stevenson in the form of his life provided several great goals. Think he scored two winners against Dumbarton in 1-0 wins. This was all helped by Paul Martin having a meltdown and describing his Dumbarton players as "a bunch of f*cking losers". 

14 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I think we were maybe as much as 14 points adrift at one point and Forfar were actually the nearest team to us rather than Sons when Maitland came in. He made us hard to beat and Jamie Stevenson in the form of his life provided several great goals. Think he scored two winners against Dumbarton in 1-0 wins. This was all helped by Paul Martin having a meltdown and describing his Dumbarton players as "a bunch of f*cking losers". 

Yep, think he got the only goal in the rearranged midweek game at the rock and in the penultimate game of the season at Recreation. I think he possibly got crocked in that game too and we got a red card, with Grindlay saving a penalty to keep it at 1-0.  I remember quite a large Sons travelling support came through for that, which was impressive considering our form.

15 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Yep, think he got the only goal in the rearranged midweek game at the rock and in the penultimate game of the season at Recreation. I think he possibly got crocked in that game too and we got a red card, with Grindlay saving a penalty to keep it at 1-0.  I remember quite a large Sons travelling support came through for that, which was impressive considering our form.

I remember the midweek game which felt like a real turning point, recall Chris Townsley and John Gemmell having a real go at each other coming off at the end. Stevenson scored a great curling effort in the second game and think it was Graeme Brown who missed the pen. The momentum from that run took us right through the play-offs to complete an unlikely escape. The Sons had a decent team on paper too, should have had enough to avoid being dragged into the relegation battle. 

44 minutes ago, Waspie said:

The Sons had a decent team on paper too, should have had enough to avoid being dragged into the relegation battle. 

Aye but Paul Martin’s stint as manager is perhaps the lowest I’ve felt supporting the Sons, and my earliest memories are of the Fallon era followed by the Wallace era.

Russell, Rodgers and Gemmell was a pretty decent amount of firepower. Though, Gemmell could definitely be completely hopeless at times and I think Beany was injured for a lot of that season. Andy Rodgers is possibly an even bigger tosser than Paul Martin. McQuilken was absolutely hopeless. I still haven't forgiven him for missing that chance in the opening minute at Celtic Park.

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Russell, Rodgers and Gemmell was a pretty decent amount of firepower. Though, Gemmell could definitely be completely hopeless at times and I think Beany was injured for a lot of that season. Andy Rodgers is possibly an even bigger tosser than Paul Martin. McQuilken was absolutely hopeless. I still haven't forgiven him for missing that chance in the opening minute at Celtic Park.

A mental season. The final game of the season was home against thistle and the back and forth scoring that day was similar to the aforementioned Ayr game, with Rodgers again getting a quick double in a loss. Partick brought loads with them and that win gave (I think, from memory) fourth place and they won the playoffs and went back to division one after back to back relegations.

The atmosphere in the lounge afterwards was poisonous with Paul Martin giving a passive aggressive speech and someone from the trust likewise and aimed at him.

One of the first games I went to the next season was Berwick away and we were horses three nil and so poor that it was almost like Paul Martin was still in charge, though it was actually the similarly talentless Gerry McCabe, who later threatened to sue the club for constructive dismissal when we sacked him.

40 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

A mental season. The final game of the season was home against thistle and the back and forth scoring that day was similar to the aforementioned Ayr game, with Rodgers again getting a quick double in a loss. Partick brought loads with them and that win gave (I think, from memory) fourth place and they won the playoffs and went back to division one after back to back relegations.

The atmosphere in the lounge afterwards was poisonous with Paul Martin giving a passive aggressive speech and someone from the trust likewise and aimed at him.

One of the first games I went to the next season was Berwick away and we were horses three nil and so poor that it was almost like Paul Martin was still in charge, though it was actually the similarly talentless Gerry McCabe, who later threatened to sue the club for constructive dismissal when we sacked him.

Gerry also threatened a well kent Sons fan with a battering up at Elgin after said fan told him to chuck it. He won over 40% of his games in charge which compares quite well with folk regarded as a good manager, but his loss percentage was almost the same. 

Gerry also threatened a well kent Sons fan with a battering up at Elgin after said fan told him to chuck it. He won over 40% of his games in charge which compares quite well with folk regarded as a good manager, but his loss percentage was almost the same. 
In the last thirty years, only Carson (47.1%) and Fairley(44.1%) have a better win record than McCabe(42.1%).

On the other side of the coin, his loss record (40.4%) has only been bettered by MacLeod (39.3%), Carson (32.4%) and Fairley (39.7%).

Which shows how misleading stats can be at times. And that maybe we should be locating Tam Carson to bring him back.

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

.McQuilken was absolutely hopeless. I still haven't forgiven him for missing that chance in the opening minute at Celtic Park.

We'd only just lost Dobbie (loan ended and he went to QotS I think) a couple of weeks before and I remember thinking that's the sort of chance he would have buried with his eyes closed. 

Best natural finisher I've seen in a Sons shirt. 

Screenshot_20220803_134524.thumb.jpg.73c45a640e5e4d6e0a095d79ed063efb.jpg

I thought this what the video analyst role we had was meant to cover but I might have misunderstood that? 

I like that we are trying to use this kind of stuff and exploring opportunities to improve. I don't particularly like that we're looking for someone to do that on a voluntary basis because it seems like it would surely take up a lot of time? But that might just be me

13 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

I thought this what the video analyst role we had was meant to cover but I might have misunderstood that? 

I like that we are trying to use this kind of stuff and exploring opportunities to improve. I don't particularly like that we're looking for someone to do that on a voluntary basis because it seems like it would surely take up a lot of time? But that might just be me

6/7 years ago I would have been all over this.  

14 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Seems like the same role. Maybe the guy that was doing it has chucked it for whatever reason.

32 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

'Individual player reports' and 'travel with team to games'.  That could be interesting 😉

5 hours ago, PWL said:

We'd only just lost Dobbie (loan ended and he went to QotS I think) a couple of weeks before and I remember thinking that's the sort of chance he would have buried with his eyes closed. 

Best natural finisher I've seen in a Sons shirt. 

Absolutely. Even Gemmell might have put it away, but I think he was injured and only made the bench.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I remember that. That game was absolutely horrendous.

My pal got punched by some wee neddy teuchter on the way back to the station. He wasn’t even a Sons fan.

He was a Falkirk fan, though, so maybe fair enough…