Sons' sorrow

Enjoyed my first game as an ST holder very much - five minutes in I was declaring it the best two-hundred smackers I've ever spent. Defence looked pretty solid, thought Buchanan was excellent and Long looks a class signing. Noticed in the second half - mainly because he was right in front of me - that every time Orsi got the ball wide on the right he was immediately closed down and had nowhere to go. Almost as if, you know, the pitch was narrower or something. Still, all those long throws from Lynas made up for... oh. 

1 minute ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Only 330 season tickets and Young Sons tickets sold. Wonder what the split is 🤔 

Sons Website

From the article

With the first home league fixture of the new season having taken place, we can confirm that 224 season tickets have been sold for our 150th anniversary season.

There are also currently 106 members of the Young Sons - with membership remaining open throughout the season.

That's more ST sales than I expected. Good to see.

Having over 100 in the Young Sons is brilliant, really wasn't expecting that despite the good deal on offer for them. Hopefully enough of them get hooked that they stick around after they turn 17. 

224 season tickets is more support than I feel this board deserves but I appreciate not everyone holds the same view as me. Would be interested to know if 224 is up or down on last year. 

I'm in a slightly different position this year so there isn't much point in committing to a season ticket this time around. Work has changed and I'm still already balancing childcare and gigs with everything else. Likelihood is, I'll go to well more than half of the matches but I am probably going to miss half a dozen at a guess.

As has been mentioned, there was much less motivation and reason for many to part with cash upfront given the last couple of years developments so I think we are doing okay in the grand scheme of things. 

25 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3988

Trawling the excellent Sons archive and came across this game. Really summed up that season. I'm not sure if that or the 3-2 win with 9 men at Forfar was a crazier game. The only game I can think of that comes close to either was the 8 men at Airdrie last season.

I think our current GK coach was on the bench for Ayr that day.

41 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Trawling the excellent Sons archive and came across this game. Really summed up that season. I'm not sure if that or the 3-2 win with 9 men at Forfar was a crazier game. The only game I can think of that comes close to either was the 8 men at Airdrie last season.

My first Dumbarton game. Sixteen seasons of joy and misery since.

7 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I can remember every other Dumbarton player from that day but I have absolutely no recollection of Kevin Gaughan at all? 

Graham Connell as well was a complete blast from the past there. Game changing sub as well clearly

29 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

I can remember every other Dumbarton player from that day but I have absolutely no recollection of Kevin Gaughan at all? 

IIRC he was a baldy, ginger guy who played in defence and wasn’t very good. I want to say we signed him from Stranraer.

7 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

My first Dumbarton game. Sixteen seasons of joy and misery since.

3-0 down in 12 minutes was impressive. I can’t think of a time we’ve done that since, off the top of my head.

That season was absolutely batshit crazy. We threw away 2 goal leads, to lose, on several occasions (Patrick away and home and Peterhead at home, at least) and only took 2 points from our last 13 games. Alloa were absolutely miles behind and then appointed Allan Maitland who gave them form that was polar-opposite to ours.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

Graham Connell as well was a complete blast from the past there. Game changing sub as well clearly

Be very glad you don't remember Kevin Gaughan; unfortunately I recall both him and Graham Connell only too well.

And yes, Gaughan was ex-Stranraer.