Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, TullyBascombe said:

Hey all. Not long moved into the area from down south and have taken the plunge with a Sons season ticket for this season.

Been lurking here for a little while now so not exactly expecting a flowing feast of champagne Fazball that will echo down the ages while fans and club owners lace daisies into each other's hair, but looking forward to being a regular at the Rock. Maybe bump into a few of you along the way. 

Welcome to Dumbarton Mr Bascombe 👍

8 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

How very Dumbarton - a good three points on the opening day of the league season and not a greetin-faced post in sight 🤣

Well, we’re nothing if not fickle.

Beat Albion next Saturday and I’ll be convinced we’re in for a good season. Get 3 wins on the spin and I’ll probably lay down a hire for a stretch limo to the trophy day match next May. 

Once you allow clubs at our level to stream it won't be long before every club is allowed to stream. Further down the line the big clubs will have their own tv channel, their games will be at 3.00pm on a Saturday and smaller clubs crowds will suffer. Football is a spectator sport and without people at games, as covid proved, it is a complete waste of time.

Different sort of clientele it’s always better to be at a game than watching it on tv and not everyone has enough money to commit to season ticket for the big clubs a 20 month season ticket and 20 a season for a kid is good value

Another couple of positives in that I thought it looked a decent crowd yesterday. First day optimism, good weather and (possibly) Celtic not playing till today. But it was good to see. 

Also noticeable the number of new tops and polos being worn. Well done again to those involved. 

6 minutes ago, PWL said:

Another couple of positives in that I thought it looked a decent crowd yesterday. First day optimism, good weather and (possibly) Celtic not playing till today. But it was good to see. 

Also noticeable the number of new tops and polos being worn. Well done again to those involved. 

I have never seen so many middle aged men in replica Sons shirts 😊

Great to see 

Top day all round yesterday. Managed the game well, scored two, clean sheet, three points, about fifteen pints and a kebab.

Farrell sounded fairly spot on in his post match interview and great to hear he's looking for another striker as we do look light numbers wise. I wouldn't be averse to him releasing / replacing C Wilson either. Unfit, overweight, off form, ineffective and a waste of a jersey. With a small squad we can't really afford passengers.

Pleased again by Brett Long, particularly his reaction saves. Byrne showed up well and took his goals well. If he was slightly quicker I think he'd be a real talent. Certainly a useful player and different from Wallace. Ally Love impresses me consistently. McLean and Orsi were both useful and I like that we're playing with two wingers.

Won't see the Rovers game as I'll be abroad but hopeful we can take the points.

Had my youngest with me yesterday for her first Sons game. She lasted an hour before the wife came to pick her up, which isn't bad going for 5. I might need to manage her expectations a wee bit though as she'll be thinking we always score early and win easily. Setting her up for a lifetime of hurt.

Fair fucks to the team, I said before the game it's a good one to lay down a marker and a comfortable 2-0 victory is about as good as you can hope for. Particularly pleasing that we seem to be doing the defensive stuff right and we still have arguably our best CB to come back in. 

I agree with Faz it's nothing to get carried away with though, we smashed the first quarter last season and it all turned sour. Lets just take it a game at a time and if we keep notching up the clean sheets we won't be far away.