Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm actually quite pleased the plug has been pulled for domestic viewers.  Whilst I realise that not everyone can attend at any given time, football works best with a crowd in attendance for a whole host of reasons.  But fair entry pricing is crucial to that. 

I feel quite the opposite. I've always been dead against the black out. I was delighted when an unexpected upside to COVID was it being lifted. Sadly they are reinstating this pointless and outdated rule and I don't think it makes much difference to crowds at our level as clubs like ours are followed by the same people week in and week out regardless. We should be able to sell streams if we like. Pointless bureaucracy. We've discussed all this on here before, of course, and as I said then, I didn't enjoy the streams as it was disassociating to be watching the game from home and pixellot is a generally poor viewing platform, but I still firmly believe we (nay all) clubs should be able to sell streams to viewers anywhere.

I was pretty glad that we were able to stream games. Even it was peak Duffyball shitfest games. It wasn't as good as being at a game and incidents like the ball girl doing keepie ups which caused the camera to miss what was happening was a pain but it offered us something at least. 

Personally I think it should be allowed for clubs at our level to stream games if we want. Away fans attending might drop a bit but I would've thought that actually more away fans might be tempted by a stream than would have attended anyway? I don't actually know that for a fact but I got streams for some our games I absolutely wouldn't have went to in person. 

Covid hasn't gone away. Whilst there's probably no political will for further restrictions, we will see fans miss games because of Covid over the winter. Streaming might not be the same as being there, but it at least let people follow the games that they'd otherwise miss. There's also the issue of away games. We're in a cost of living crisis and £15 for a stream is a lot easier to justify for a lot of people than spending money on travel - either supporters bus, petrol or public transport - and then the usual matchday expense of entry and refreshments. £15 versus £50? 

I think that for top flight football, particularly in Scotland, there's an argument against streaming. Too many people claim to be old firm fans whilst never going near either Ibrox or Celtic Park. Streaming would allow them to follow the big 2 from afar. There's always the slim hope that people whose loyalties normally sit with one of the big 2 would fancy a game on a Saturday afternoon and make their way to the local lower league ground. Whilst that doesnt happen nearly enough, streaming games would kill the notion stone dead. At our level? I suspect that we'd stream to more away fans than the numbers who'll travel and that for most clubs it'll be a financial hit. For the likes of Elgin and Annan it may well be quite a hefty hit. I can't see many fans wanting to make the journey up to Elgin with fuel prices as they are, never mind the journey itself.

Us being able to stream games wouldn’t really affect the amount of people coming to a game IMO and as other have mentioned, if you can’t make a game or for away games it was great. There definitely shouldn’t be a blackout for this level. 

Does anyone know if this is a Scottish football thing or does it come from UEFA? 

Also for any one still wanting to stream games, just use a VPN. Most are easy to set up nowadays.

30 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Us being able to stream games wouldn’t really affect the amount of people coming to a game IMO and as other have mentioned, if you can’t make a game or for away games it was great. There definitely shouldn’t be a blackout for this level. 

Does anyone know if this is a Scottish football thing or does it come from UEFA? 

Also for any one still wanting to stream games, just use a VPN. Most are easy to set up nowadays.

It actually is a UEFA rule that only Scotland and England have decided to use. 

On the VPN, when this was mentioned previously it was suggested the club could get a sponsor on board to effectively market it to the fans (and perhaps give instruction to our less computer literate fans). I figured this would be against the rules but it was then pointed out that clubs like Hibs are basically advertising that on their website (just as I type this I checked Hibs twitter and they've literally just posted a deal for NordVPN giving fans 58% off ahead of the season starting). If the club are concerned about losing income from streaming they could perhaps look down that road, obviously bigger VPN companies might not be interested in a small club like us but if we're losing money then it's worth a discussion. Our older fans won't have a scooby what a VPN is so they'll need direction. 

Edited by The Moonster

Once you allow clubs at our level to stream it won't be long before every club is allowed to stream. Further down the line the big clubs will have their own tv channel, their games will be at 3.00pm on a Saturday and smaller clubs crowds will suffer. Football is a spectator sport and without people at games, as covid proved, it is a complete waste of time.

Just been down to the stadium to get my boys tickets, I didn't bother with buying one until I seen that you can pay via direct debit. £20 a month. Signed up for that, why didn't they advertise that more. It's a great option in the current financial climate.

6 hours ago, TamCarson said:

Just been down to the stadium to get my boys tickets, I didn't bother with buying one until I seen that you can pay via direct debit. £20 a month. Signed up for that, why didn't they advertise that more. It's a great option in the current financial climate.

Also used this option for mine. Great value from the club, interest free, zero hassle and probably should have been more widely publicised.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Also used this option for mine. Great value from the club, interest free, zero hassle and probably should have been more widely publicised.

I would assume its not publicised because what happens when someone signs up to pay by DD, the team loses a few games and they say "I'm not paying" and cancel their DD. The club loses out on money they probably have budgeted for. Then lets not get into the logistics of said persons season ticket having to be cancelled, their name on a blacklist etc. I agree its a good option but can see why it's not advertised.

Are we  definitely offering a stream for overseas viewers this year? Or have the club decided that it isnt worth doing them and relying on enough fans using a VPN to still access it? There's a huge investment in time and effort for our commentary guys to provide the excellent level of commentary that they do. I can't imagine them doing that for an online audience of half a dozen.

50 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I would assume its not publicised because what happens when someone signs up to pay by DD, the team loses a few games and they say "I'm not paying" and cancel their DD. The club loses out on money they probably have budgeted for. Then lets not get into the logistics of said persons season ticket having to be cancelled, their name on a blacklist etc. I agree its a good option but can see why it's not advertised.

Bloody hell! Does everything we do have to be over analysed and taken to the worst conclusion? Can we not just give the odd bit of credit? What kind of p***k would take out a standing order for a season book, then cancel it when they go on a losing run? And how would the club even track that? Are Antonia or Leslie having to sift through every transaction on the dfc bank account monthly to ensure all DD tix are paid and start a list of non payers/chase them for payment/blacklist them from future buys (whatever the hell that means)?

Come on to f**k, people. Yes, the owners are shady property developers, yes the manager is questionable and yes we were relegated, but Christ, not everything is a negative. Sometimes the club can offer a positive commercial option and because they have a very small office staff just don't advertise it all that well in amongst the 9000 other things they have to do to keep a professional football club running on a less than skeleton staff.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Bloody hell! Does everything we do have to be over analysed and taken to the worst conclusion? Can we not just give the odd bit of credit? What kind of p***k would take out a standing order for a season book, then cancel it when they go on a losing run? And how would the club even track that? Are Antonia or Leslie having to sift through every transaction on the dfc bank account monthly to ensure all DD tix are paid and start a list of non payers/chase them for payment/blacklist them from future buys (whatever the hell that means)?

Come on to f**k, people. Yes, the owners are shady property developers, yes the manager is questionable and yes we were relegated, but Christ, not everything is a negative. Sometimes the club can offer a positive commercial option and because they have a very small office staff just don't advertise it all that well in amongst the 9000 other things they have to do to keep a professional football club running on a less than skeleton staff.

Things are actually improving in a few directions off the park IMO, and Tam Carson and yourself have done a wee advertising job on here today.  But it's in the nature of fans to fear the worst and look for problems, sometimes where none really exist. 

It will be interesting to see what turnout we get tomorrow, because I think the club has done pretty well in encouraging folk to rally round. 

Hey all. Not long moved into the area from down south and have taken the plunge with a Sons season ticket for this season.

Been lurking here for a little while now so not exactly expecting a flowing feast of champagne Fazball that will echo down the ages while fans and club owners lace daisies into each other's hair, but looking forward to being a regular at the Rock. Maybe bump into a few of you along the way. 

An interesting season to start following us Tully. 150th birthday season. Hopefully a chance of more positive results in tier 4. The obvious threat of the Lowland League trapdoor that none of us have experienced before. Hopefully you enjoy it and become bitten by the Sons bug.

39 minutes ago, TullyBascombe said:

Hey all. Not long moved into the area from down south and have taken the plunge with a Sons season ticket for this season.

Been lurking here for a little while now so not exactly expecting a flowing feast of champagne Fazball that will echo down the ages while fans and club owners lace daisies into each other's hair, but looking forward to being a regular at the Rock. Maybe bump into a few of you along the way. 

Welcome Tully, maybe we will be the mouse that roars this season 😉

Get yourself into the Supporters Bar pre-match and you can meet the troops.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Welcome Tully, maybe we will be the mouse that roars this season 😉

Get yourself into the Supporters Bar pre-match and you can meet the troops.

But for god's sake don't move the tables around...